Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jun 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Credit card for WDW - a dummy’s guide, please!

I keep seeing that a credit card could be handy for all kinds of things when planning a holiday, so I’m wondering whether to get one.

We bank with Halifax, so I’m thinking of applying for their Clarity card (have never used a credit card before). We’ve just paid off DH’s student loan, so our only debt is our mortgage, which we’ve been overpaying for a long time, so I’m guessing there shouldn’t be a problem with being accepted for a card.

How would it work? Is it free to use if you pay off purchases immediately? I’ve been looking at the T&Cs for the clarity card, but the rates and fees all just say N/A and XX.XX%, which doesn’t help me at all!

How would this all work if using a credit card to pay for flights? And for purchases while in Florida? I’ve also seen about needing to somehow add a credit card to MDE to hold ADRs (but then actually pay with DDP credits.) How does that work?

All advice welcome - assume I know nothing!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

All credit cards are free to use as long as you pay them off within the billing period (usually max 56 days) however some cards will have foreign exchange fees (the clarity I believe doesn't)

Personally I always use a credit card (and try and use Amex wherever possible) as we collect Avios/HiltonHonors points for trips away, plus you receive a degree of payment protection under the section 75 protection (which compared to the chargeback protection on debit cards is a legal protection rather than voluntary ones for chargeback). If you want more information looks at websites like moneysavingexpert.com, they have a lot of card comparisons as well as checkers that will show what cards you are eligible for without affecting your credit rating
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
All credit cards are free to use as long as you pay them off within the billing period (usually max 56 days) however some cards will have foreign exchange fees (the clarity I believe doesn't)

Personally I always use a credit card (and try and use Amex wherever possible) as we collect Avios/HiltonHonors points for trips away, plus you receive a degree of payment protection under the section 75 protection (which compared to the chargeback protection on debit cards is a legal protection rather than voluntary ones for chargeback). If you want more information looks at websites like moneysavingexpert.com, they have a lot of card comparisons as well as checkers that will show what cards you are eligible for without affecting your credit rating
Thank you for this, and I’ll have a look on moneysavingexpert too.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

no problems, a lot of people on here swear by revolt/monzo debit cards or pre-paid debt cards instead but I prefer the ability to earn miles (despite paying a slight premium for it) and the extra security afforded to higher value purchases
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If you want a credit card for holidays abroad then the Clarity card us an excellent choice. It offers fee free purchases in foreign currencies and gives an excellent rate of exchange.

Other credit cards offer points or cashback but they usually have high transaction fees when used overseas (usually 2.75-3%). Do not use these cards overseas.

Many people have a selection of cards (I really have too many!). I have cards for UK purchases (where my preference is my IHG black card) but also have a Clarity card for overseas.

Edit: I also have a Revolut card for using overseas and use it in conjunction with my Clarity card.

Edited at 07:26 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We take Halifax Clarity and minimal cash for tips/incidentals.

Never had any issues, no foreign transactions fees and you get a better exchange rate.

Other use similar cards (Post Office, Nationwide etc). but you'll see it's the top recommended card on MSE as well.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

Halifax has very good information on their website about credit cards, including what one is. There is also an eligibility checker to see whether you would be able to get a credit card with them. When deciding to get a credit card for travelling abroad, you need to get one that doesn't have any loading charges or foreign exchange charges. I believe the Halifax Clarity doesn't have these charges, so is a good one to get, but please double check (money saving expert is a good website to find the best card for your needs).

As long as you pay off your statement balance each month your card should be free to use.
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BigPetesWife View Post
Halifax has very good information on their website about credit cards, including what one is. There is also an eligibility checker to see whether you would be able to get a credit card with them. When deciding to get a credit card for travelling abroad, you need to get one that doesn't have any loading charges or foreign exchange charges. I believe the Halifax Clarity doesn't have these charges, so is a good one to get, but please double check (money saving expert is a good website to find the best card for your needs).

As long as you pay off your statement balance each month your card should be free to use.
Brilliant, thank you. I’ll look again on the Halifax website - I was just looking at the T&Cs for the clarity card, but it sounds like there’s much better information available if I keep looking.
Old 6 Jun 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
If you want a credit card for holidays abroad then the Clarity card us an excellent choice. It offers fee free purchases in foreign currencies and gives an excellent rate of exchange.

Other credit cards offer points or cashback but they usually have high transaction fees when used overseas (usually 2.75-3%). Do not use these cards overseas.

Many people have a selection of cards (I really have too many!). I have cards for UK purchases (where my preference is my IHG black card) but also have a Clarity card for overseas.

Edit: I also have a Revolut card for using overseas and use it in conjunction with my Clarity card.
I don’t think my little brain would be able to cope with more than one credit card, but it’s good to know that the clarity card is a good choice for travel.
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
no problems, a lot of people on here swear by revolt/monzo debit cards or pre-paid debt cards instead but I prefer the ability to earn miles (despite paying a slight premium for it) and the extra security afforded to higher value purchases
Just another quick thank you - have just been having a good old read on moneysavingexpert and Halifax, and it definitely looks like a clarity card is the way to go for us. I tried the eligibility checker on both, and for both DH and myself, and it said we should be accepted, so I’m wondering if it would be better to get a card each to make spending easier. I’ll ask DH to have a read of it all later and see what he thinks.