Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Jun 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Islanders
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you x
Old 7 Jun 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Really depends on what you like. Varadero is like going to the Dominican Republic. Its a peninsular which is restricted access to local who may only enter for approved activities such as working. Great if you want to have a beach holiday in the sun, but not Cuba at all.

When we went we had a hotel booked in Varedero as part of the package (and you had to be able to show this on entry back then), but only used it for 4 nights.

We hired a car and went travelling booking hotels as we went. Cuba is a big Country though, much bigger than many realise and the road network isn't the best in places.

I'd seriously look at multi location as winging it as we did will appeal to very few, Havana is a must. You can get beach resorts without Varadero and personally I would not choose there unless you want that beach holiday in a controlled environment experience.

We visited places like the world heritage city of Trinidad, Santa Clara with the Che Guevara memorial, Gulf of Cazones for the revolution.

We didn't manage to get right over to the east side of Cuba as didn't have time but would love to go back at some point and start at then end.

From what I have heard from friends who have visited more recently it has already changed a lot since the Fidel Castro era.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I went for a week about 10 years ago and had an amazing time! We stayed in Jibacoa which i think is half way between Havana and Varadero. Think it was booked through First Choice.

People were lovely. We did a day trip to Havana which included loads of different sight seeing, lunch and in the evening we got the use of a hotel to shower and change, buffet dinner and the Club Tropicana show.

No bites but there were man of war jellyfish. The lifeguards were on point though and let you know if any were around.

At the capital building there were men with the old fashioned camera's taking very cool black and white photos for the equivalent of about 50p and the market was good too.
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Islanders View Post
Can i just ask who you all booked with?
Holiday Hypermarket, but not sure if that even still exists does it?!
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My experience is also a long time ago (nearly 20 years) but we did a few nights in Havana and then a beach stay at Varadero. we also did some day trips in and outside Havana and a jet ski outing in Varadero.
Can not recommend it enough. Have always been to hesitant to return incase the second time didn’t live up the first. The people we met were fantastic and I would recommend a split stay for sure.
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alwaysdisley View Post
My experience is also a long time ago (nearly 20 years) but we did a few nights in Havana and then a beach stay at Varadero. we also did some day trips in and outside Havana and a jet ski outing in Varadero.
Can not recommend it enough. Have always been to hesitant to return incase the second time didn’t live up the first. The people we met were fantastic and I would recommend a split stay for sure.
Oh yes I’d forgotten that - jet ski trip through the mangroves! Such an amazing experience!