Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 10 Jun 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Questions about 3 Go Roam (Caribbean) and Free wifi

Hi all.

DW and I are going to Orlando for 2 days in September and then having 2 weeks cruising around the Caribbean. I have been looking at getting a "3" Go Roam Sim card, but I'm not sure if it only works in the USA.

I have tried to check, but I can only see US Virgin Islands listed. The places we are going to are:
Grand Turk
San Juan
St. Thomas
Amber Cove
Grand Cayman
Mahogany Bay
Belize
Cozumel.

We don't really want to buy the onboard wifi, because we tried it 2 years ago on a Mediterranean cruise and it was very poor quality. Most of the time it did'nt work.

If anyone has any information about using a phone on these islands, I would be really grateful.

Its really only for us to keep in contact with our grandchildren through WhatsApp text and video calling.

The other question I have is, when we are in Florida, most places we go to, such as restaurants have free wifi. Does anyone know if this would be the same for the Caribbean islands?

Thanks
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

DH is on a 3 go roam contract and has had a few problems where he has turned his phone on and found charges as data has downloaded in the background and he has not been aware of it. They have always refunded the charges but it is a nuisance at the time. With the exception of Mahogany Bay and Belize we have been to the other islands and not had any problem finding free wi fi.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
3 Go Roam doesn't work in Cayman Islands. We were there 10 days recently and a week last year. We just signed into the various hotel and supermarket wifis when were out and about to use whatsapp. Our phones even remembered them from last year.

You might be able to do this in your other ports of call.
Old 11 Jun 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the replies JAF and Chris. Its much appreciated. Thats good to know that we should be able to find free wifi in supermarkets and hotels. Thats all we need really. WhatsApp is the main thing we use to chat to our family. We don't really use our phones for actual calls.

James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List