Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 23 Oct 19, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

iphone experts, help please

I'm on PAYG and had an iphone 5S for 2.5 years that worked fine with imessage and Facetime via my mobi number in 'send/receive'.

Now PAYG on iphone 7, IOS 13.1.3. I'd like to say I've tried everything but I'm hoping an iphone expert will have the definitive answer. Spent an hour, each, with Apple and Vodafone, neither can resolve and basically gave up by suggesting I stick with shown email addy.

There is credit on the phone. In 'send/receive' is my icloud email and, below, in black, my mobi number, and whilst there's a tick alongside the email addy, no matter what I do the handset won't accept 'tick' my mobile number. I click my mobi number, buffer wheel runs for a few seconds, then stops. Number remains black, never has been greyed out. Outgoing/incoming calls/texts/imessages received/sent, Facetime works (or so it seems). Tried:

Removed sim, reset back to factory settings, backed up from icloud,
signed in/out of icloud/appleid numerous times,
waited for 24 hours,
tried my mobi number in +44 and 07 format,
clicked on icloud in settings, turned off message to disable/upload messages,
reset network resources time and again,
turned airplane mode off/on numerous times,
checked and ensured time/date is correct and set to auto,
turned imessage and Facetime on/off, rebooted many times,
I'm sure I've tried other suggestions but can't remember!

If my mobi number had been greyed out below my icloud addy it appears to be an easy fix, but as it's black the blasted thing refuses to be acknowledged.

I'd be obliged for a resolution, or, if opinions are my icloud addy in 'send/receive' vs mobi number shouldn't hinder using Facetime or imessage, should I leave well alone? Thank you
Old 23 Oct 19, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not quite sure what you mean by send/receive? But you don’t need a mobile number in order for someone to FaceTime you or send iMessages as they can do this to your email address (and obviously FaceTime audio too). But you wouldn’t be able to do things like a text message or a normal call, and you’d obviously need to be on internet as well for your email address to work.

Where is the send / receive option? Is it in settings?
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Long shot but have you tried to change your Apple id password?

(this will disconnect any other sign ins you have on other devices which might be blocking your ability to change the number)

Edited at 06:59 AM.
Tigger71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
I’m not quite sure what you mean by send/receive? But you don’t need a mobile number in order for someone to FaceTime you or send iMessages as they can do this to your email address (and obviously FaceTime audio too). But you wouldn’t be able to do things like a text message or a normal call, and you’d obviously need to be on internet as well for your email address to work.

Where is the send / receive option? Is it in settings?
Send/receive is the option you use to, well, send/receive via iphone I know using a mobi number isn't essential, I want the option and being unable to activate/acknowledge means there's a problem, I'd like that resolved - Settings, Messages, 'send/receive', click to see if one/both options are checked In my instance, whilst I seem able to use imessage/Facetime, both remain 'unable to activate'.

SMS is set to activate imessage/Facetime, imessages does occasionally turn itself off, I can resolve that, but when turned on imessage continues to tell me it isn't activated, and in some instances to turn imessage on, when it's on

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
Long shot but have you tried to change your Apple id password?

(this will disconnect any other sign ins you have on other devices which might be blocking your ability to change the number)
So far I've avoided Apple ID pw change, I'll give it a go later today.
From the copious research I've done this isn't an isolated case, many have/had the same problem.

Thank you both for your input, it is appreciated
Old 23 Oct 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
When did changed your phone from a 5S to the 7, did you also change your phone number? Did you register this new phone number with your Apple ID account (see here)?

Otherwise, the following sounds similar-ish to your problem:

techradar/uk/how-to/...number-1311714

However, it sounds like you may have done what's mentioned above?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
When did changed your phone from a 5S to the 7, did you also change your phone number? Did you register this new phone number with your Apple ID account (see here)?

Otherwise, the following sounds similar-ish to your problem:

techradar/uk/how-to/...number-1311714

However, it sounds like you may have done what's mentioned above?
Hiya Nimbus - same mobi number that was registered with Apple ID 2.5 years ago for my 5S, which worked perfectly. Backed up from 5S to iCloud then onto my 7, then totally wiped the 5S. I've also changed my Apple ID password as Tigger suggested, and unless it takes 24 hours to activate I'm still no further forward.

Tried all advice I can find on Google (various TechRadar articles) but hoped a Dibber might hold the definitive key. If my phone number was greyed out it'd be an easy fix. In send/receive Mobi number is black and above my 'ticked' icloud/Apple ID email addy. Seems number is accepted/registered in my Apple id, but...

I'll nip into the Apple Store in Ft Myers when we get to Fl and see if they can throw any light on it, if not then I'll leave it saying 'activation unsuccessful, turn on iMessage and try again'... same message for Facetime, difficult to turn both on when they're already on tho

Thank you all again for your suggestions
Old 24 Oct 19, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Finally cracked it! Decided to remove SIM from my 7, put it back into the 5S, the 5S had been totally resest with hubs iCloud account. Log-in/verification code and SIM immediately activated with 2 points of contact, mobi and iCloud email. SIM into 7, working fine

One to keep in mind if you update your iphone.
Old 24 Oct 19, 06:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Finally cracked it! Decided to remove SIM from my 7, put it back into the 5S, the 5S had been totally resest with hubs iCloud account. Log-in/verification code and SIM immediately activated with 2 points of contact, mobi and iCloud email. SIM into 7, working fine

One to keep in mind if you update your iphone.
how odd! Glad you finally got it sorted
Old 25 Oct 19, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
how odd! Glad you finally got it sorted
Yeap, odd one indeed. As my 5S/SIM had worked for 2.5 years I thought it was worth a shot, even tho it was signed into hubs iCloud. SIM activated, good enough for me and my 7

Thanks Tigger