Old 23 Aug 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Laner
slightly serious Dibber

Laner's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The First Trip 1993 – Day Six – Typhoon Lagoon – 15th September 1993

We had scheduled in a trip to Typhoon Lagoon at this point as a day to unwind and chill and also because my wife insisted on it, as she said that she wasn’t going home without a tan and wanted a day to lie in the sun. I think we went to the Ponderosa again for breakfast and then headed over to the water park. We got there for about 9.30am, so when it opened, we were one of the first in line and managed to get a spot to the left of the wavepool as you look at it, with some shade under umberella’s and beds in the sun for those that wanted it.

I was actually really looking forward to this day because again, one of the big selling points in the brochures was the chance to swim with sharks in the shark pool. We dumped towels on the beds and all decided to go on everything once, so my wife and our friends could get their afternoon in the sun. We tried most of the slides, some of which were very tame compared to Watermania and then headed to the shark reef. We donned life vests and put on the masks and snorkels and stepped into the water and then abruptly stepped back out as it was freezing. For those who remember the reef, you had to take a deep breath before you eventually took the plunge. It was a great experience at the time and really whetted my appetite for diving and seeing wildlife. Later in my life, I would do more diving in various parts of the world, including the Red Sea. The day consisted mainly of my wife and friends lying around in the sun and because that wasn’t for me, I spend the day exploring the park on my own and just bobbing along the lazy river.

We had a great relaxing day, headed back to the hotel, got changed and headed out for dinner. We went to a restaurant which isn’t there now called Key W Kools which was recommended to me by my work colleague. It was a steak and fish restaurant and I think it was a step above the usual places on the 192. It served us well and the steaks were fantastic, as was the vegetarian options for our friend. We went there 2 years later as well when we returned and the food was just as good, but alas it disappeared for future trips.

We drove back the short distance to the hotel and headed straight to our rooms as the heavens had opened and the rain was extremely heavy.
Disneyland Paris 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2014
Florida 1993, 1997, 2008, 2013
Laner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Tasted my first alligator bites at key w kools, they were a bit like gin soaked chicken ! I remember the shark encounter being very cold but I still did it
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Loved typhoon lagoon on our first visit in 93

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List