Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Sep 21, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Insurance - Cover Level

Just looking at our insurance for travel next year. We've booked a package with Virgin for the flights, hotel and park tickets. It's Atol protected and purchased on a Credit Card. Would we need extra cover for this part?

I think our only exposure would be the hire car and the hotel for parking at airport. I think £2000 cancellation would cover this. The price escalates quite steeply the more cancellation cover added based on 2 adults and 2 children for a single trip of 22 days.

I don't want to be caught out if possible given the ever changing landscape of travel.
nige106 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nige106 View Post
Just looking at our insurance for travel next year. We've booked a package with Virgin for the flights, hotel and park tickets. It's Atol protected and purchased on a Credit Card. Would we need extra cover for this part?

I think our only exposure would be the hire car and the hotel for parking at airport. I think £2000 cancellation would cover this. The price escalates quite steeply the more cancellation cover added based on 2 adults and 2 children for a single trip of 22 days.

I don't want to be caught out if possible given the ever changing landscape of travel.
Hire cars are fully refundable up until collection/within 24 hours at all of the main places. I’m sure the airport parking is refundable too.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

You would need insurance for the holiday (flight/hotel etc) as ATOL only protects you if the company goes bust, if you couldn't go on holiday due to illness etc you would not be covered by ATOL and the credit card wouldn't refund you

(unless I am reading your message wrong!)
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Ingram01
Helping Minnie

Note things like cancellation cover are usually per person, so you'd be covered for £2000 each.
Ingram01 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
You would need insurance for the holiday (flight/hotel etc) as ATOL only protects you if the company goes bust, if you couldn't go on holiday due to illness etc you would not be covered by ATOL and the credit card wouldn't refund you

(unless I am reading your message wrong!)
Ah, thank you. We've always had a good level of holiday insurance, but touch wood never called it into action. I guess we've been a little blase about the in's and out's of cover. Just concerned now we should ideally make sure of the details.

Originally Posted by Ingram01 View Post
Note things like cancellation cover are usually per person, so you'd be covered for £2000 each.
That's worth knowing as I presumed it was total cover for policy. I think £3k per person would be adequate to cover all the upfront costs then. At that level it was far more inline with what I'd budgeted.
Old 28 Sep 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Having kept most of my policies for the last 5 or 6 years I'd say 100% certain that the insurers would expect you to recover any costs due to End Supplier Failure through the Section 75 route of the Consumer Credit Act. So yes you're absolutely right to use a credit card.

If Virgin cancel your holiday you have an absolute legal right to demand a full refund and refuse a voucher.

Make sure that you have sufficient medical cover though. A Bandaid and a night in hospital could set you back $2,500.

Mick

PS Welcome to the DIBB

Edited at 09:09 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PPS

We've had three holidays cancelled in the last 18 months (fingers crossed for 7th Nov ) and haven't lost a single penny. We book everything separately and, apart from car hire, with the principals and never an agent. I like a direct contract relationship with the supplier.

Flights fully refunded. Villa owner is basically a friend having stayed there 13 times since 2011 and we just rolled over. UK airport car park and hotel fully refunded. Only agent was Andy at DFCH best customer service by a country mile. Rolled over three times. Hopefully not four

Mick

Edited at 09:17 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Having kept most of my policies for the last 5 or 6 years I'd say 100% certain that the insurers would expect you to recover any costs due to End Supplier Failure through the Section 75 route of the Consumer Credit Act. So yes you're absolutely right to use a credit card.

If Virgin cancel your holiday you have an absolute legal right to demand a full refund and refuse a voucher.

Make sure that you have sufficient medical cover though. A Bandaid and a night in hospital could set you back $2,500.

Mick

PS Welcome to the DIBB
Originally Posted by mick View Post
PPS

We've had three holidays cancelled in the last 18 months (fingers crossed for 7th Nov ) and haven't lost a single penny. We book everything separately and, apart from car hire, with the principals and never an agent. I like a direct contract relationship with the supplier.

Flights fully refunded. Villa owner is basically a friend having stayed there 13 times since 2011 and we just rolled over. UK airport car park and hotel fully refunded. Only agent was Andy at DFCH best customer service by a country mile. Rolled over three times. Hopefully not four

Mick
Thanks for taking time to respond so thoroughly. I've always booked separately but had last minute nerves with this one so plumped for a package. I think I've narrowed it down to two policies that offer what we need.

Hopefully the 13th of Nov goes ahead for you.
Old 28 Sep 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by nige106 View Post
Thanks for taking time to respond so thoroughly. I've always booked separately but had last minute nerves with this one so plumped for a package. I think I've narrowed it down to two policies that offer what we need.

Hopefully the 13th of Nov goes ahead for you.
Pleasure. It makes a change to be back here talking about insurance, restaurants near Rolling Oaks, VTP and car hire et al.

We're 7th Nov but thanks anyway.

Mick
Old 28 Sep 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

I've read through some of the other threads and it does appear to have been a bit bleak and depressing. Fingers crossed it all remains more positive moving forward.

I have no idea how I got the date wrong as I'd only just read it!