Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Oct 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

BA - Just flights or Flight & car.

What to do, option 1 or option 2?

In a couple of days our return flights will be released but I am betwix and between about booking.

The flight only option is coming in at £2100 for the 3 of us for 3wks.
Turn it into a BA Holiday by adding a car and it’s the usual eye watering prices, £3500 for a small car but we’ll need an SUV. and the prices jumps up to nearly £3900.

So, 2 options, what would others do?

Option 1 - Just booking the flights and ride it out on the car hire and book separately via a 3rd party
If I do this do I pay for the flights in full just now? (It’s not a problem the cash is there)

Or do you have more protection if booking the Fly Drive?

Option 2 - Book the small car just now and over time should the holiday cost reduce (the car hire elements drops, which I think is most probable) call BA and swap cars to a bigger SUV and get the reduction?

It’s a gamble I know, so just putting this out there to get some others views and opinions.

I remember 3yrs ago this happened, I changed my booking to a larger vehicle and the overall cost was less than my original booking.

Edited at 09:06 PM.
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
For August 2022 I have opted for your Option 1.
I will source the car elsewhere

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

I only wanted to pay a deposit this time (it was too stressful with BA holding all my money before they cancelled the flights in 2020) so I’ve gone flight plus hotel at the airport the night before to make it a package. We only want a car for a few days so I’ll sort that separately when I’ve decided on which days I want it for.
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

We’ve done flight + hotel at LGW will get a car if the prices come down
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We have done a flight and a hotel for first night at aiport in Miami.

Car booked through Andy at DFCH so much cheaper than with BA.
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

You don't really get more protection with a fly drive. The only added protection over a flight only booking is end-supplier failure. There are multiple ways to have this covered, e.g. pay by credit card, travel insurance, etc.

I'm not sure the hire car shortage is going to end any time soon, so I wouldn't book a rate you're not happy to pay. So it would be option 1 for me. Get some separate quotes, Andy at DFCH is highly recommended on here.

But to give you an option 3, add one night's hotel in custom trip. This will give you the option to pay deposit only. And also turn it into a package, although already stated my thoughts on that. Doesn't even have to be in Florida, you can use this to book your airport hotel. But BA also tend to have good rates on the Universal hotels if you are going there and thinking of booking one for the Express Passes.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
For August 2022 I have opted for your Option 1.
I will source the car elsewhere
That’s my gut feeling Sir Tom, for as much as I think car rates will come down, no doubt the flight prices will increase.
And from what I can see 3rd party prices are working out to much of a muchness of what BA are changing.
You’ve settled it for me…
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
But to give you an option 3, add one night's hotel in custom trip. This will give you the option to pay deposit only. And also turn it into a package, although already stated my thoughts on that. Doesn't even have to be in Florida, you can use this to book your airport hotel. But BA also tend to have good rates on the Universal hotels if you are going there and thinking of booking one for the Express Passes.
Hmm, I didn’t know there was a 3rd option.

We actually do need a hotel on the date of arrival as we are flying into Mia. so need a nights kip before embarking on our road trip the following day.

One shall report back after I’ve explored this option 3 you speak of.
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Manny Haines View Post
Hmm, I didn’t know there was a 3rd option.

We actually do need a hotel on the date of arrival as we are flying into Mia. so need a nights kip before embarking on our road trip the following day.

One shall report back after I’ve explored this option 3 you speak of.
Have a look at the custom trip option, first night hotel in Miami and collect the car in the morning when you get up, (from a hotel or other outlet, not the airport). It can make a huge difference.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Have a look at the custom trip option, first night hotel in Miami and collect the car in the morning when you get up, (from a hotel or other outlet, not the airport). It can make a huge difference.
Can I ask why not the airport? We are collecting from the airport for the first time.