Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Oct 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Its awful and so disrespectful to say someones house smells, I do feel terrible. The smoke smell is just awful, its so weird how it literally clings to your clothes when we visit. But the reed diffusers, bless her, have made it unbearable for me and knocked me sick (migraine sick).
I know cutting a onion in half can help with paint smells. Maybe some other natural remedies may help?
She isn’t going to stop smoking and I obviously won’t stop visiting. We always sit outside in summer, plus she has the windows open so thats ok. But now the cold weather has landed its a different story..
The smoke smell has been discussed many times because as megaflyer says, it triggers my sister’s asthma but my mum insists that the house doesn’t smell of smoke. She is OTT with cleaning and smoking outside or at the back door. But it does really smell, she obviously can’t smell it. My dad used to go mad and it was the only thing they argued about because he was such an anti smoker (he did smoke but stopped when my sister developed asthma as a young child)
Next week I am going to sit in the dining room with the patio door open 🥶
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My mum used to smoke (in the house too) but a little while ago she was hospitalised with breathing issues.

She gave up smoking (which was a relief) but on being brought items from home she immediately complained of the smoke smell….which she hadn’t noticed before!

No tips but I’m afraid smokers just can’t smell it.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Me and my family live with my mil. She’s a smoker and smokes in the garage and never inside. I do notice her clothes smell of smoke if she walks past but it’s never stinks the house out. Are you sure she doesn’t smoke inside when your not there? For your clothes to come out smelling of smoke it’s got to be a very strong smell in the house.
If it bothers you that much (I think it would bother me too, as a non smoker) can your invite her to your house instead or a neutral place and not of either of your homes?
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

We always used to visit my dad and he never smoked when we were there but when we left the first thing I did when I got home was change clothes including underwear, wash my hair and have a bath as the smoke stuck to everything. As an ex smoker I never knew how bad it smelt when I smoked as it affects your sense of smell which is probably why your mother says it doesn’t smell. I am particularly sensitive to smells and the Reed diffuser would cause me more problems than the stale smoke.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Trickytenrec View Post
Me and my family live with my mil. She’s a smoker and smokes in the garage and never inside. I do notice her clothes smell of smoke if she walks past but it’s never stinks the house out. Are you sure she doesn’t smoke inside when your not there? For your clothes to come out smelling of smoke it’s got to be a very strong smell in the house.
If it bothers you that much (I think it would bother me too, as a non smoker) can your invite her to your house instead or a neutral place and not of either of your homes?
She doesn’t own a ashtray or anything and she is incredibly house proud, she says she never smokes in the house 🤷 The house is tiny though, just a living room and small kitchen dinner. It may not be as intense in a larger home. When I lived at home I never noticed it, I must have been nose blind 😬
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I dont allow smiling in my garden
I’m sure this isn’t what you meant 😃😃
Hope you’re not offending by the emojis above 😂😂

Edited at 11:02 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I’m sure this isn’t what you meant 😃😃
Hope you’re not offending by the emojis above 😂😂
That made me smile rather than smoulder lol ruddy auto change - bit I can assure all Smiling is de rigueur at MF place - smoking (and smokers) are banned
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m know as the human sniffer dog I can smell cigarette smoke at 1000 yards
I refused to go into or let my kids when they were small into my PIL they stopped 4 weeks after DS1 was born because of this
Don’t get me started on the smell of weed that is absolutely terrible it clings to everything ( as a nurse you smell loads but there are certain smells that just stick or vanish ) I’m one of those who can smell cyanide / the distinct pear drops smell that singnal action for sons diabetic partner
Even with my loss of smell with Covid over a year ago now there are 4/5 smells that still set my teeth on edge
But can I smell perfume , the dinner cooking nope I can’t and it’s a right pain
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Its awful and so disrespectful to say someones house smells, I do feel terrible. The smoke smell is just awful, its so weird how it literally clings to your clothes when we visit. But the reed diffusers, bless her, have made it unbearable for me and knocked me sick (migraine sick).
I know cutting a onion in half can help with paint smells. Maybe some other natural remedies may help?
She isn’t going to stop smoking and I obviously won’t stop visiting. We always sit outside in summer, plus she has the windows open so thats ok. But now the cold weather has landed its a different story..
The smoke smell has been discussed many times because as megaflyer says, it triggers my sister’s asthma but my mum insists that the house doesn’t smell of smoke. She is OTT with cleaning and smoking outside or at the back door. But it does really smell, she obviously can’t smell it. My dad used to go mad and it was the only thing they argued about because he was such an anti smoker (he did smoke but stopped when my sister developed asthma as a young child)
Next week I am going to sit in the dining room with the patio door open 🥶
Odds are the smoke smell is in the plastering so all the cleaning in the world won’t do away with it. Guess you have to decide if you risk offending or alienating your Mum or continuing to find stratagies to deal with it. At the end of the day it’s her home .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
She doesn’t own a ashtray or anything and she is incredibly house proud, she says she never smokes in the house 🤷 The house is tiny though, just a living room and small kitchen dinner. It may not be as intense in a larger home. When I lived at home I never noticed it, I must have been nose blind 😬
As one of the Dibb Old Girls when I was a child smoking was the norm and you are quite right I think everyone was noseblind. But then we had coal fires too which had a smell and of course with wooden doors and window frames and single glazing the houses were less sealed.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List