Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5 Nov 21, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
#21
Tinkerbell
Imagineer
 
Tinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 02
Location: Somewhere in Spain

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm fortunate I've never lived in a place where loud fireworks were an issue. I always kept my dogs and cats in on firework night but it does seem when I was last in the UK fireworks are no longer seasonal as in November ,5th. As a child it was firework night and possibly a village display on the nearest Saturday now it's November Xmas new year weddings etc.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
#22
Floridatilly
Imagineer
 
Floridatilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile

Tilly is petrified of fireworks (and thunder) she shakes so violently we worry she is going to collapse. She has a thunder jacket but it doesnít make any difference. Mason also hates fireworks, he holds his ears and cries because they hurt his ears. So we have the TV blasting, Tilly shaking and Mason crying! This weekend is going to be awful 😣
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
#23
buryboy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jun 09
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I always wonder how the dogs that live near Disney manage? I suppose they just get used to it. My grandparents had to have a dog put down during the war because the sound of the air aid sirens drove him demented. They then got a "born in the war" dog who happily lived through the blitz.

This is similar to how I feel . While I feel terribly for those whose pets and family members struggle with it , and Iím no psychologist , I do think part of the problem is that actually itís a surprise when it happens . If fireworks were regular all year round , they would become more familiar with them . Equally rather than locking them away , I think showing them what it is thatís making the noise may help too. Obviously the problem is that some are very loud and you can never predict the exact moment they go off , but familiarisation / understanding of them would should help some animals / people .

Fireworks without noise is like football without crowds.
I donít get the point of bangers , but other fireworks I think are ok . Think they should be limited to over 25s to purchase though.

I understand I am in the minority here
__________________
Our 2014 west coast trip - pre-trip, small highs and lows , and photo book/storybook
Pre-trip reportsmall highs and lows
photobook/storybook
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
#24
Sandra & co
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Sandra & co's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 08

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Tilly is petrified of fireworks (and thunder) she shakes so violently we worry she is going to collapse. She has a thunder jacket but it doesnít make any difference. Mason also hates fireworks, he holds his ears and cries because they hurt his ears. So we have the TV blasting, Tilly shaking and Mason crying! This weekend is going to be awful 😣
I feel your pain, our weekend is going to be awful too. We want to go shopping today but have to be back by 5pm at the latest before they start. If it was just the 5th nov and that weekend we could cope but we had loud explosions yesterday from 6pm till about midnight and a then at at 2 and 3 in the early hours. Tv blasting and music playing loud, I made her a snood out of socks, she has a thunder jacket and nothing works. I canít believe she weed on my bed, she never does that.
__________________
2004 Kissimmee 2006 Bahama Bay Davenport 2008 Bahama Bay Davenport 2012 Regal Palms Davenport 2016 Glenbrook/Bradenton 2018 Hampton Lakes/Cape Coral
Always dreaming Of Florida!
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
#25
EssexSue
Imagineer

 
EssexSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 09
Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I feel your pain, our weekend is going to be awful too. We want to go shopping today but have to be back by 5pm at the latest before they start. If it was just the 5th nov and that weekend we could cope but we had loud explosions yesterday from 6pm till about midnight and a then at at 2 and 3 in the early hours. Tv blasting and music playing loud, I made her a snood out of socks, she has a thunder jacket and nothing works. I canít believe she weed on my bed, she never does that.
Its been comparatively quiet here compared to most years but I know two local schools have displays tonight. I don't have pets to worry about though. Not that our dogs were ever bothered to be fair. They just hated being left out so used to come in garden with us (on leads).
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
#26
Sandra & co
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Sandra & co's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 08

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Its been comparatively quiet here compared to most years but I know two local schools have displays tonight. I don't have pets to worry about though. Not that our dogs were ever bothered to be fair. They just hated being left out so used to come in garden with us (on leads).
This goes on till 31st Dec on and off, I play fireworks sounds on Alexa really loud and sheís fine as soon as they start for real she goes mad.
__________________
2004 Kissimmee 2006 Bahama Bay Davenport 2008 Bahama Bay Davenport 2012 Regal Palms Davenport 2016 Glenbrook/Bradenton 2018 Hampton Lakes/Cape Coral
Always dreaming Of Florida!
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
#27
scooby99
Imagineer
 
scooby99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04
Location: London
We no longer have pets although fireworks never bothered them in the slightest.

Vet on TV just now mentioned that it can be helpful to not 'coddle' pets, make a fuss or change routines when fireworks are on as you may be giving them the message that there's something happening to worry about.

Easier with new/younger pets, I'm guessing; older pets may already have this as default behaviour when they pick up on your actions.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
#28
petit-pois
VIP Dibber
 
petit-pois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 15
Location: UK
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I'm fortunate I've never lived in a place where loud fireworks were an issue. I always kept my dogs and cats in on firework night but it does seem when I was last in the UK fireworks are no longer seasonal as in November ,5th. As a child it was firework night and possibly a village display on the nearest Saturday now it's November Xmas new year weddings etc.
Are you in Spain Tinkerbell? My sister lives near Barcelona and complains a lot of fireworks for every single Saints day! You must be somewhere more peaceful 😊
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
#29
petit-pois
VIP Dibber
 
petit-pois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 15
Location: UK
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
We no longer have pets although fireworks never bothered them in the slightest.

Vet on TV just now mentioned that it can be helpful to not 'coddle' pets, make a fuss or change routines when fireworks are on as you may be giving them the message that there's something happening to worry about.

Easier with new/younger pets, I'm guessing; older pets may already have this as default behaviour when they pick up on your actions.
I think like with humans they are all different. Our previous two dogs (Westie,cocker) werenít bothered by fireworks but Cherry is extremely distressed. Sheís a rescue though who for the first 3 years of her life suffered terrible abuse. I donít feel I can just leave her to it bless her, my coddling seems to help a little.
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
#30
cartoonp
Joker in the pack
 
cartoonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09
Location: Norfolk

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ban ban ban I worked at displays though the years first one queens silver jubilee. I was asked because I knew the man that did in home safety. I did quite a few though the years never had fireworks in garden.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Rollercoaster
On 21st January 11:31am
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay will open Iron Gwazi, the world’s fastest and steepest hybrid coaster,... Read More »
Posted in international Flower & Garden Festival
On 13th January 11:35am
This March the Garden Rocks Concert series returns to EPCOT at the International Flower &... Read More »
Posted in Seaworld
On 4th January 2:22pm
Get ready for uncharted chills on the all-new Ice Breaker coaster at SeaWorld Orlando! Named... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.3272
CaxtonFX  $1.3213
Covent Garden FX  $1.3432
FAIRFX  $1.3249
John Lewis  $1.3305
M&S  $1.3113
Post Office  $1.3097
Sainsburys  $1.3242
TESCO  $1.3275
Travelex  $1.3243
Updated: 03:30 22/01/2022
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1696
CaxtonFX  €1.1620
Covent Garden FX  €1.1837
FAIRFX  €1.1680
John Lewis  €1.1743
M&S  €1.1570
Post Office  €1.1553
Sainsburys  €1.1674
TESCO  €1.1698
Travelex  €1.1700
Updated: 03:30 22/01/2022

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X