Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Nov 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Supersuzie
Helping Mickey

There's still a lot you can do with a small tank, especially if you decide to get into planting and aqua-scaping. I have the fluval flex that has been suggested here a few times and really loved the upkeep of the plants and fish together. I kept a small shoal of micro-corys and a single betta splendens (siamese fighting fish). Those fish are small and easy to maintain in a small tank but still have a lot of character.

I think you're in the North West OP? There's some good aquatics shops here and I personally would recommend Pier Aquatics in Wigan for both advice and supplies.
Supersuzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Laner
slightly serious Dibber

Laner's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Once you have some advice I would have a look on ebay which is the route i took years ago. People buy all the gear and get easily fed up with the hobby and you can pick up a complete set up quite reasonably. As other have said, do your homework, decide what you want to keep and then have a look on ebay. I went from a single small tank 10 years ago to three tanks dotted around the house, one of which is over 300L!
Disneyland Paris 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2014
Florida 1993, 1997, 2008, 2013
Laner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Laner View Post
Once you have some advice I would have a look on ebay which is the route i took years ago. People buy all the gear and get easily fed up with the hobby and you can pick up a complete set up quite reasonably. As other have said, do your homework, decide what you want to keep and then have a look on ebay. I went from a single small tank 10 years ago to three tanks dotted around the house, one of which is over 300L!
very good advise if you know what you are looking for need/want

fwiw i wouldnt by a tank with lifestock included off say ebay as you are buying the unknown

as with most things you can usually pick up near new kit for 1/2 price or better as folk buy stuff then never use it/get fed up

Edited at 02:13 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Supersuzie View Post
There's still a lot you can do with a small tank, especially if you decide to get into planting and aqua-scaping. I have the fluval flex that has been suggested here a few times and really loved the upkeep of the plants and fish together. I kept a small shoal of micro-corys and a single betta splendens (siamese fighting fish). Those fish are small and easy to maintain in a small tank but still have a lot of character.

I think you're in the North West OP? There's some good aquatics shops here and I personally would recommend Pier Aquatics in Wigan for both advice and supplies.
I am yes! I’m south Warrington. I have found a shop only a few miles from us which looks much better than Pets at home.
I will nip in one day just for a chat. I need to try and guage if he actually wants tropical fish though as it was definitely a goldfish he mentioned. 😂
We have family in Wigan though so if I do go ahead, I can easily swing by
Thanks so much
Old 22 Nov 21, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Another good aquatic shop near you. Abyss situated in Stockport.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DISNEYLIZ View Post
Another good aquatic shop near you. Abyss situated in Stockport.
a bit OT but used to keep marine fish & corals... some of the lads in the local FB group used to go on day trips here & oasis in salford not sure if this is purely marine ?

Edited at 04:41 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
a bit OT but used to keep marine fish & corals... some of the lads in the local FB group used to go on day trips here & oasis in salford not sure if this is purely marine ?
DH was in the fish trade for years and will only buy his tropical fish from Abyss. Been to many shops and he will just walk out.
I often have to walk away, when the staff try and tell him how to look after fish. Its like teaching your granny to suck eggs.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks everyone! Will go away and do my research. Couple of good shops to visit if I go ahead. I’ll definitely give pets at home a miss. Must admit I only get dog food from there anyway.
Will have a good think x
Old 22 Nov 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I am yes! I’m south Warrington. I have found a shop only a few miles from us which looks much better than Pets at home.
I will nip in one day just for a chat. I need to try and guage if he actually wants tropical fish though as it was definitely a goldfish he mentioned. 😂
We have family in Wigan though so if I do go ahead, I can easily swing by
Thanks so much
Could be he thinks that tropicals will be much harder to look after than a goldfish when a lot of people think they are easy and do not realise how hard they are instead.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List