Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Busyb
Proud to wear my Ears

Flying with a 22 month old child on my lap

Hi

I just wondered if anyone had experience of flying to Florida with a child at around 22 months old?

I know it won't be easy but I could really do with the saving of not having to book an extra flight seat and instead have her as a lap infant. So I just want to know what others did in this dilemma?
Busyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Good luck Anything to keep them occupied & hold their attention- picture books, ipad/tablet, games etc You just have to realise that it's like controlling a slippery eel! Worth looking into things to help with the ear pain, when the cabin pressurises- obviously at that age they don't know the pinch nose ear popping thing
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
SandE
Being a bit Goofy

Ooooo how exciting! we travelled to florida when my daughter was 23 months and it was so much fun! she loved looking out the window, and we had lots of colouring books, sticker books etc and pre downloaded lots of things on an amazon tablet for her to watch things and play games! And every now and again she'd put frozen on the plane televisions!

The only piece of advice I would have is the pressure going up and down too! My little girl got so upset on the way down and was holding her ears, and the air hostess on virgin gave us a little bowl of Olbas Oil on cotton wool to ease it! I'd never heard of it but we got some for the way back and it definitely helped
SandE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
LauraE
Getting Excited

Hi, we did it a few years ago when our son was 22 months. We went with BA, on the way out we managed to get a bulk head seat and they have a baby bouncer type chair he was allowed in - he just fitted, but was quite happy in there, slept and watched the iPad for a lot of the journey. On the return he sat between me and my husband on our laps. Can’t say it was much fun, but we all coped ok.

If you could delay by a couple of months have you thought about being there where they turn 2? We did that with my eldest and paid the infant price, but they have to give them a seat on the return for no additional cost. May be worth thinking about if you have some flexibility.

I know people always say pay for a seat, but we’d do it again with our youngest - although she’s 2 soon so covid got in the way of that 😉.
LauraE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We didn’t do it-booked ours a seat then when he was asleep we could at least relax, stand up etc. He was 18months. Could not imagine managing with him on our knee.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

I've booked it before but never had to do it because. The person who was supposed to sit next to us always runs a mile when they realise they will be stuck next a baby.

Not much good if its a full flight, but I have booked 4 or 5 times with on lap infants and have always got the next seat anyway because the other passengers ask to move
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Really depends on your patience. I personally wouldn't do it. I've done a 9 month on the lap, twice. It's a long slog but if you're happy passing back and forth it can be done.

For me it's a big ask in economy. But there is a decent saving to be made! Costs you a few grey hairs though!
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

We're hopefully travelling with an 18 month old to orlando and decided to get a seat, I was tempted to try to save the money but in the ended decided to pay it. We're again hopefully going to the canaries in a couple of months though and she's on our lap, we thought we could make do on a shorter flight!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kikimouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Done it plenty of times with three kids and travelling even further than Florida (17h flights to Singapore; thabk goodness for stopovers in Dubai).

Lovely experience cuddling my kid throughout. Calmed them somewhat in an unfamiliar surrounding. Played on the inflight entertainment system, had toys and their confy items. The drone of the plane made them fall asleep.

I took turns with hubby for meals and to stretch my legs and do loo breaks.

My advice - sweeties to pop the ears or some juice so they will swallow. Change of outfit for baby and a change of top for you. Lots of wipes.

Relax - they pick up your anxiety. I was a little anxious that my kid will bother people. Flights to Florida twnd to be filled with kids and people tend to be understanding. By far the most challenging thing for me was changing the diapers in the small toilet!
kikimouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Haven't done it to Florida but did it going to Paris with DS who was an extremely tall 23mth old (2 on return flight so had to have a seat).
I personally wouldn't do it on a 9-hr flight. It wouldn't have been comfortable for any of us, and not fair on DS to not give him some space for such a long flight.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List