Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 21, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
But companies often ask for things that aren't under law. It is nothing to do with the legal position on masks - it is a condition of employment for the job.

This requirement seems totally sensible and reasonable to me. It is also totally reasonable for a GP to help here when asked. They provide letters for all sorts of things. It is part of their service (though they may be a charge). To refuse is totally unacceptable. It is not a receptionist's job to refuse unless they are under specific instructions from the GP.
The receptionist is probably trying to filter the workload as the Gp's are so busy.

If it's something you want OP then suggest you request a letter that you are willing to pay for. The GP can still choose not to do it though.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I would feel quite outraged that they would not believe me and want access to my medical records! I would be telling them to jog on. They don’t sound a very inclusive company if they are willing to discriminate enough that they want to see your DH’s medical records to prove his exemption.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I would feel quite outraged that they would not believe me and want access to my medical records! I would be telling them to jog on. They don’t sound a very inclusive company if they are willing to discriminate enough that they want to see your DH’s medical records to prove his exemption.
They aren't looking for the medical records - it is one thing. This is very easily resolved with a decent GP.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

They aren't looking for the medical records - it is one thing. This is very easily resolved with a decent GP.
I know they aren’t asking to scroll through them but they shouldn’t be asking in the first place as it isn’t legally necessary. I think the GP in this case is right to say no. If the threads on here are anything to go by then GPs simply don’t have the time for unnecessary paperwork at the moment.
Imagine if someone was unable to wear a mask as they had been a victim of domestic violence in the past….how do they prove this? I think they are on shaky ground as it’s quite discriminatory.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

I think it's quite reasonable for the company to want him to wear a mask given the people he'd come into contact with. The NHS could very well become overwhelmed this winter.

Now if your husband can't wear a mask this is probably not the right volunteering role for him. As much as its commendable to want to do it.

I would offer an example I cant walk more than 15 steps. As much as I'd like to do some things to help my community I have to accept I can't.

Wrong role for your husband who is wanting to do a lovely thing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I would imagine that the company can ask as a condition of employment.

They wouldn't want or seek access to medical records. More than likely they would expect a GP's letter. I cant imagine that would be a problem for a GP. It isn't down to the GP to decide what a company wants. Sounds like the GP is digging their heels in to make their point at your OH's expense.
We don't do exemption letters for masks in GP Surgeries. We have enough else to do. Guidance from PHE.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

But companies often ask for things that aren't under law. It is nothing to do with the legal position on masks - it is a condition of employment for the job.

This requirement seems totally sensible and reasonable to me. It is also totally reasonable for a GP to help here when asked. They provide letters for all sorts of things. It is part of their service (though they may be a charge). To refuse is totally unacceptable. It is not a receptionist's job to refuse unless they are under specific instructions from the GP.
My GP surgery will it provide the letter needed for my shotgun licence as they have a policy of not supporting firearms in private hands which would be fine if we didn’t live in a farming community!
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Thanks - we have decided to look for another position instead.
The company are absolutely fine with him not wearing a mask as long as he provides proof of exemption - it’s just proving impossible to get proof, and a little frustrating given it’s a voluntary role.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
We don't do exemption letters for masks in GP Surgeries. We have enough else to do. Guidance from PHE.
So true, it's exhausting coming up with Byzantine rules and processes designed to make it impossible for the public to actually get an appointment.

You must all be worn out coming up with those processes and implementing them every day
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Does your GP have a system like ‘ask my GP’ ?
I needed proof that my daughter needed a fridge to store medication, granted its not the same situation as your husband, I asked at our doctors and the receptionist said no so I sent a ask my gp request. At that time replies were 48 hours so after 48 hours I received a message to say there was a letter waiting for me at reception.
The reply/wait time is now 4 days but if the company is willing to wait that long it might be worth a shot 🤞🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List