Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Oct 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Flying to Miami

Hi All,

I am just looking at options for 2022 and trying to stay within budget. One option is to fly to Miami which appears to be considerably cheaper than Orland or Tampa. Appreciate it is quite a drive from Miami to Orlando but is it worth the saving? Option I have looked at is with BA and also for info we have a 9 and 6 year old.
All opinions are appreciated and apologies if I have missed this question being asked before.

Its good to be even able to consider options again

Regards

Pete
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

For the first ever time in 26 years of going to Florida we are doing this November 7th this year we are flying in from a 16 night stay in Antigua
We arrive around 5 pm Florida time but we will have been in the same time zone for over 2 weeks
We will drive right home to the villa
Would we do it from a uk flight nope but one of our sons is to join us next year
They are booked for off airport hotel airport shuttle and the hotel has a car hire desk
Car hire booked
It’s saved 4 of them 2 adults 2 under 16 ar return to MCO £ 420 and that includes an extra day car hire as their flight home is 22/00 hours
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 21, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
bilbous
Getting Excited

Flew into Miami in 2019 and the drive up to Orlando is straight forward enough, took us around 3 hours.
What made it worse for us was that we got diverted to Orlando MCO due to bad weather and we then sat on the runway for around an hour before flying back to Miami before driving back to Orlando
bilbous is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I’d recommend having a night near Miami before driving to Orlando. Last time we flew there, we were delayed 8 hours, then had 3 hours to get through immigration (due to a big storm they had to wait to get the luggage off the plane). I appreciate that probably doesn’t happen too often (and luckily we’d planned to stay over anyway) but we didn’t get to our Miami hotel until the early hours of the morning.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Stay overnight as others have stated and pick car hire up in the morning

We stayed at the sofitel near the airport on got the car hire arrange from the airport for the next day
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

We are doing it, we got premium flights both ways for 3 adults and 1 child, plus staying one night at Vero Beach (about a 90 minute drive from Miami airport) for the same price as direct econony flights to MCO
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
AhoyShipmates
Excited about Disney

I think we will do it too as the Manchester - Orlando flights are so expensive. My husband is getting keen on the idea of staying overnight and showing the grown up kids a bit of Miami before going on to Orlando so we may end up having a couple of nights there.
AhoyShipmates is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I would do it no problem. Then again I’ve got off Orlando flights and driven down to Naples, and once on a delayed flight into Atlanta which was 13 hours late, I drove to the Smokey Mountains.
Old 4 Oct 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by scousepete37 View Post
Hi All,

I am just looking at options for 2022 and trying to stay within budget. One option is to fly to Miami which appears to be considerably cheaper than Orland or Tampa. Appreciate it is quite a drive from Miami to Orlando but is it worth the saving? Option I have looked at is with BA and also for info we have a 9 and 6 year old.
All opinions are appreciated and apologies if I have missed this question being asked before.

Its good to be even able to consider options again

Regards

Pete
We flew home from Miami last month, after three weeks in Orlando.

We flew with Frontier from to MCO to MIA... was cheap, and convenient.

We'll be spending the 6 weeks summer school holidays in the US next year... few days in New York, then we'll fly with Frontier down to Orlando.

Joined their Discount Den club, and the kids fly for free.
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We have flown into Miami for the savings many times now. We always stay the first night in Miami out on the beach. We’ve always collected our car at the airport however this year we are collecting on Miami Beach the following morning as this gave us a huge saving too. We’ll just grab the car in the morning and then drive up to Orlando. The drive is about 4 hours and can be boring but for the savings it’s well worth it for us