Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 13 Oct 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i'd suggest getting a sub £100 amazon tablet or similar to start with, and then if you outgrow it, spend more on an ipad or samsung/etc

if you have specific games or apps in mind, check they are available on whatever tablets app store...

otherwise, set yourself a budget and see whats available in the price range.

you could do a lot worse than the 10" fire tablet, currently on offer at £110

amazon/fire-hd-10-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

the 8" version is only £60 too. this would be where i would start off if you want something a bit smaller.

as for sim cards and all that, no need as long as your phone allows a wifi tethering/hotspot mode

HTH
Not to disagree with this advice, but be aware Amazon tablets are very 'locked' to Amazon services. I spent quite a while deciding between the Amazon kids tablet and the Samsung one, and decided it was worth paying a little more for the Samsung one. Amazon one you are limited on apps (you have to use Amazon app store not Google Play or Apple store) and you really need an active Prime subscription (and a Kids one as well if for kids) to get use out of the tablet.

Amazon tablet was £100, Samsung one was £125. I think well worth £25 more. I did get a discount through Blue Light Card- I think they are usually around £150.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Also to add sorry, we did originally have a £50 Lenovo tablet but it was very poor and really a waste of money. Very slow and apps would just stop working. I think any tablet around that price is probably going to be a bit rubbish.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Not to disagree with this advice, but be aware Amazon tablets are very 'locked' to Amazon services. I spent quite a while deciding between the Amazon kids tablet and the Samsung one, and decided it was worth paying a little more for the Samsung one. Amazon one you are limited on apps (you have to use Amazon app store not Google Play or Apple store) and you really need an active Prime subscription (and a Kids one as well if for kids) to get use out of the tablet.

Amazon tablet was £100, Samsung one was £125. I think well worth £25 more. I did get a discount through Blue Light Card- I think they are usually around £150.
we use the fire HD8 tablet mostly for browsing the internet, a handful of candy crush style games, and my gfs cross stitch app. sideloading APKs from the google store (or even just installing the google store and related services) is possible with a bit of fiddling. for what i paid (£50) it is very good value.

it all depends what you want i guess. and if you dont know what you want, the cheap 8" fire tablet is a good starting point IMO

(i have apple kit through the house, but no iphones or tablets. the ipad3 i got was ok, but i didnt find it nearly as good value as the amazon tablet (or the nexus 7 prior to that) - i would only go with an ipad if you are already used to an iphone and it's walled garden architecture
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
we use the fire HD8 tablet mostly for browsing the internet, a handful of candy crush style games, and my gfs cross stitch app. sideloading APKs from the google store (or even just installing the google store and related services) is possible with a bit of fiddling. for what i paid (£50) it is very good value.

it all depends what you want i guess. and if you dont know what you want, the cheap 8" fire tablet is a good starting point IMO

(i have apple kit through the house, but no iphones or tablets. the ipad3 i got was ok, but i didnt find it nearly as good value as the amazon tablet (or the nexus 7 prior to that) - i would only go with an ipad if you are already used to an iphone and it's walled garden architecture
Yes of course it definitely depends on what you want it for. We needed BBC Iplayer so the toddler can watch ceebeebees, and it seems a bit dodgy getting that to work on the Fire tablet from what I could find, and it won't work in Kids mode at all for some reason. I prefer Samsung as you can essentially have what you want on it, and I'm not tecchy enough to fiddle or make work arounds.

But if the Amazon one did everything you wanted it to then a very good priced option! I did very much consider it as hardware wise its a decent piece of kit.
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Yes of course it definitely depends on what you want it for. We needed BBC Iplayer so the toddler can watch ceebeebees, and it seems a bit dodgy getting that to work on the Fire tablet from what I could find, and it won't work in Kids mode at all for some reason. I prefer Samsung as you can essentially have what you want on it, and I'm not tecchy enough to fiddle or make work arounds.

But if the Amazon one did everything you wanted it to then a very good priced option! I did very much consider it as hardware wise its a decent piece of kit.
We got DD a Fire HD10, with kids unlimited, it comes already loaded with iPlayer kids, but rather than the app it clicks straight into the shows. I have set for her age group, she’s 6, so it’s set for 4-8 year olds, and can keep adjusting it. I also added Disney + and Sky Kids apps to it for her (you have to download on the adult profile, and then add to the kids one.) I also have it timed to lockdown every night, so she’s knows tablet time is over and it’s bedtime. For me it’s absolutely perfect for kids.

Me and DH both have iPads though, and wouldn’t swap them for anything else.
2026 - maybe...

Edited at 01:19 PM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bolto6 View Post
We got DD a Fire HD10, with kids unlimited, it comes already loaded with iPlayer kids, but rather than the app it clicks straight into the shows. I have set for her age group, she’s 6, so it’s set for 4-8 year olds, and can keep adjusting it. I also added Disney + and Sky Kids apps to it for her (you have to download on the adult profile, and then add to the kids one.) I also have it timed to lockdown every night, so she’s knows tablet time is over and it’s bedtime. For me it’s absolutely perfect for kids.

Me and DH both have iPads though, and wouldn’t swap them for anything else.
That's good to know- I googled lots when deciding what to buy, and found lots of posts online saying people couldn't get iplayer to work on the Amazon tablet, and especially that downloaded shows won't work.
As a big part of our need was downloaded episodes of Duggee for the car I didn't want to risk it not working!
Although I have found that downloads on Disney+ don't work which is super annoying- but thats to do with Disney rather than the tablet.
Old 13 Oct 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Although I have found that downloads on Disney+ don't work which is super annoying- but thats to do with Disney rather than the tablet.
yeah, disney+ have some crappy DRM that break a lot of features/options for people trying to access their content
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I think this is a one I have decided on any thoughts pros or cons thank you
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have a Wi-fi only mini iPad and a cellular regular size iPad. The mini iPad is used for holidays mainly.

I have a SIM card for the cellular iPad although it is operating off Wi-fi a lot of the time but definitely not all the time and I feel I need the cellular function. I do not pay for a SIM card monthly, I get pay as you go ones my current SIM card should last for 24 months and cost about £60 upfront so no complaints on value.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I have a cellular and WiFi iPad I use it when I am out working and it’s easier and quicker than tethering sim costs £10 pcm. Dd and dw have iPads wifi only.

I have tried Amazon fire I am sure they do a job but to compare these to iPads is like comparing pontins to WDW. I have tried Samsung and this again is not close to the iPad and I am not an Apple fan but they do produce by far the best tablets

Edited at 05:59 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List