Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Nov 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We use Google Maps and try to find cars with Android auto or Apple Car Play where we can. When we were there last in August 2019, we were surprised to find thta most of the SUVs available via Alamo at MCO had the Android Auto/Car Play feature disabled. It took us a while to find a vechicle that had it enabled. I'm hoping this isn't a deliberate policy but we will be taking a holder for our phone just in case when we go next year.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
We use Google Maps and try to find cars with Android auto or Apple Car Play where we can. When we were there last in August 2019, we were surprised to find thta most of the SUVs available via Alamo at MCO had the Android Auto/Car Play feature disabled. It took us a while to find a vechicle that had it enabled. I'm hoping this isn't a deliberate policy but we will be taking a holder for our phone just in case when we go next year.
That surprising, I normally take a suction mount for the windscreen as I've had lots of cars in the past that haven't had it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was on purpose as they like you to purchase a nav from them, it is also an additional option for lots of cars so maybe they don't pay for it.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I use Waze, I find it better than Google Maps.
Everyone was telling me this so I've been trying it recently.
Gave up after a few weeks as it kept telling me to turn off motorways, only to go around the roundabout and rejoin the same road I was already on.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Everyone was telling me this so I've been trying it recently.
Gave up after a few weeks as it kept telling me to turn off motorways, only to go around the roundabout and rejoin the same road I was already on.
Only times i've ever had that happen on various sat navs is if there is traffic on the main road, it is helping you avoid some of that by coming off then getting back on. Haven't had that happen for a long time though.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Only times i've ever had that happen on various sat navs is if there is traffic on the main road, it is helping you avoid some of that by coming off then getting back on. Haven't had that happen for a long time though.
yeah Google Maps does this to avoid queues, but Waze has done this to us on a few occasions when the roads were totally clear, and I didn't really know where I was going so was about to turn off until I saw that it was just going to rejoin again.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

i used copilot on my phone last time. I still have copilot. Used it in many countries and it has yet to fail me.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
flossy_h
Excited about Disney

Good old fashion Tom Tom here. Have used it in Florida and California.
flossy_h is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Emma2602
New Poster (2)

We use Navmii and make sure to download the florida map. It doesn’t use data so no charges and works just like a satnav
Emma2602 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

We never had the data package to justify that in the US, we have a TomTom that has the american maps card in it that we take with us. Use Google at home though.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List