Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Nov 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Heathrow Airport suspends the PODS for foreseeable future

Anyone intending to use the PODS at Heathrow to get to T5 should make a note that from 22nd November they will be replaced with a bus service for the "foreseeable future"

heathrow/transport-a...ing-terminal-5
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Ooh almost booked this yesterday
Glad I didn’t now
Old 20 Nov 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Any idea why?

YouTube's algorithm doing its thing threw up another "This is a British person vlogging their travel to Florida" video for me just yesterday, and he travelled from Heathrow and used the pods.

The one time I was going to use them was when going to Old Trafford to see Man Utd v Brighton in the FA Cup, flying Heathrow to Manchester, but there was a load of snow which trashed the flight schedules and my flight was cancelled, so we had to get a train instead!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Any idea why?

YouTube's algorithm doing its thing threw up another "This is a British person vlogging their travel to Florida" video for me just yesterday, and he travelled from Heathrow and used the pods.

The one time I was going to use them was when going to Old Trafford to see Man Utd v Brighton in the FA Cup, flying Heathrow to Manchester, but there was a load of snow which trashed the flight schedules and my flight was cancelled, so we had to get a train instead!
At the moment no idea why they are making the change as I have just seen the update on the airport website so thought would post first. No doubt we will find out eventually.

I must admit to liking the PODS
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Also a fan of the PODS, fast efficient and the car park is great for quick entry and exit.

Wonder if its due to it being business parking and until the business travellers return they are not cost effective.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

they werent in use last year so perhaps just a financial reason
Old 20 Nov 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Gutted as staying overnight at the thistle hotel with parking, before my flight from T5 next weekend 😭 really wanted to use the pods. Any recommendations as to how I can get to T5 now? Did look at uber but it was about £14. Probably do that on our return.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
they werent in use last year so perhaps just a financial reason
The car park itself remains open, so not sure about that. I used that car park a few weeks ago and it was pretty full. Perhaps buses are cheaper than operating the pods.

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Gutted as staying overnight at the thistle hotel with parking, before my flight from T5 next weekend 😭 really wanted to use the pods. Any recommendations as to how I can get to T5 now? Did look at uber but it was about £14. Probably do that on our return.
If the paid gate from the Thistle to the Pod car park is open, you could still go through and use the buses from the car park. Otherwise there are a couple of bus services from near the Thistle.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma & Lloyd
Apprentice Imagineer

So irritating. We booked POD Parking for December purely for the novelty. Changed the booking yesterday to T5 Meet and Greet and had to pay an extra £30. If I'd known PODS weren't going to run I'd have booked Meet and Greet when I first booked and prices were significantly cheaper.
Never mind. If this is the biggest issue we face, we'll be very happy.

Villas at Grand Floridian 2014 Cabana Bay 2015 Animal Kingdom Villas 2016 Animal Kingdom Villas 2017 Cabana Bay & Saratoga Springs 2019 Saratoga Springs 2021
Emma & Lloyd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
From experience, and we always catch an Uber to and from our Heathrow hotels when flying from there, an Uber TO Heathrow is always a lot cheaper than an Uber FROM Heathrow.

This from February 2020:
Hilton Terminal 5 to Heathrow: £10.72
Heathrow to Hilton terminal 5: £22.80

From August 2019:
Crowne Plaza to Heathrow: £10.59
Heathrow to Crowne Plaza: £25.44

I've assumed that there is either always surge pricing in operation during mornings when US flights tend to arrive at Heathrow, or there is some sort of "airport booking charge" added to all fares.

I know all our budgets are different, but in the scheme of a holiday costing thousands of pounds, is £14 a deal breaker? Regardless of the above examples, we always just grab Ubers as it's easy, comfortable and the most convenient way to get to and from the airport. I'm never waiting for and getting on a shuttle bus!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List