Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Nov 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Phone data whilst in USA - HELP!

Hi all

We are out here at the moment and juat learned that our dog is unwell - she is very elderly and I'm worried sick.

I don't have a phone contract so having to buy out of area plan to keep in touch - I've spent £45 in 2 days.

Can anyone recommended a short term contract or other means to be able to keep this cheap but effective?
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JoeA
Serious Dibber

If you have a phone go somehwere with free wifi like McDonald’s and use WhatsApp to make a wifi call.
JoeA is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Go to a phone show or Walmart or Target or BestBuy and get a pay as you sim card

Another option is WhatsApp or Skype as long as you have Wifi access
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

If you have an iphone or any other phone that will take an esim use Tmobile esim. I've got it and it's working great.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
bouncybeth79
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks, I have been using WiFi where I can but its not as easy to get onto in the parks as I hoped - its very intermittent and does not hold - will try and grab a pay as you go sim this morning
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JoeA
Serious Dibber

Wifi technology isn’t very good at what’s known as a handoff; from one box to another basically. It should hold up better if you find a place with a strong signal then stop as opposed to keeping moving, though appreciate you will want to be on the move.
JoeA is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Or buy a cheap 'burner phone' with a cheap Pay as you go international contract. you will be able to run your normal phone via Wifi as well as keep the USA phone for calls etc.
Unless you have a fancy dual sim phone which save that faff!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
FAcup14
Getting Excited

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I had planned on buying/getting a pay as you go sim while I was out there. Then putting that in a spare phone or 4G dongle. Sharing the WiFi, everyone connecting to it, connecting that to a battery pack. Then basically leaving that in a backpack.

I'm just wondering if buying the sim can be done before going out there.
FAcup14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FAcup14 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread.

I had planned on buying/getting a pay as you go sim while I was out there. Then putting that in a spare phone or 4G dongle. Sharing the WiFi, everyone connecting to it, connecting that to a battery pack. Then basically leaving that in a backpack.

I'm just wondering if buying the sim can be done before going out there.
Sims can be bought from eBay or Amazon but read the plan details carefully some don’t support hotspot setup.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
pjc
Excited about Disney

Uk phones don't work on some networks. Att and tmoblie are good. We used to get ATT sim and use it between us all for data and WIFI calls from 2007. That's before three came along. And I don't think you can use a data only sim in a phone.

Edited at 05:12 PM.
pjc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List