Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jul 17, 04:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks Puddle! I'd say don't be put off by the sleeper experience, it is great, to go to sleep to the click-clacking as the carriage gently sways its way through the countryside is a great experience and I wouldn't have missed it off. Just make sure you're "toilet ready" for the journey!
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Xi'an - not for nothing is this called China's oven city as temperatures whilst we were there soared to 48c, making it one of the hottest places on the planet.

On arrival from our overnight Sleeper train we visited the City walls, Big Goose Pagoda, Drum and Bell Tower and the adjacent Muslim Street. Fascinating, especially the huge city walls. Muslim St is great for authentic food and it's maze of alleyways are crammed with bargains, but only if you're prepared to haggle hard - it's part of the fun!

The Terracotta Warriors were an astonishing sight but like all attractions in China, crowded, crowds of crowds. We were beginning to feel that the entirety of China's population had decided on exactly the same holiday as us, so it was lovely to get to the Banpo Neolithic village which was practically deserted. Discovered in the 1950s it was Xi'ans original historical attraction, until the discovery of the Terracotta Army. As a result this was an oasis of calm, a beautiful museum and carefully excavated site.

We stayed at the Hilton Xi'an in a club room and this was definitely the best hotel on our holiday. Almost all staff spoke some English, many spoke fluently. It was the most seamless and excellent hotel I have ever experienced, and I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels as part of my job (no, I'm not a hotel inspector!). If you don't spend half your life in hotels you can upgrade your room to club for a small supplement, believe me, it's worth it!
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I really need to finish this off, especially as we returned about 20 weeks ago.

So, Beijing. We stayed at the Renaissance Wangfujing in a room overlooking the Forbidden City. It was some distance mind, but at night a wonderful sight from our room, fully lit up.

We really did pack in a lot during our 5 day Beijing stay:

Tiananmen Sq. This is complicated to get into, with security and a lengthy queuing system that takes you back and forth up and under. The square is massive and full of Communist iconography. Set aside over an hour

Forbidden Palace. This is utterly huge, an absolutely amazing sight. If you rush it I guess you could do it in an hour or so, but that would be wasting the effort you made to get there. In reality it’s a 3-5 hour Chinese history and architecture fest. Enjoy. Beware however you exit into a part of the city devoid of any eateries, bars or facilities with nowhere to sit down. Be prepared for a long walk after you exit to find somewhere to sit and rest. And if you’re there in August as we were, the humidity will wipe you out.

Hutongs. Well worth a visit and the classic rickshaw tour. Relaxing, scenic and historic.

Summer Palace. Yet another amazing Chinese Palace with beautiful parkland and a large lake. Set aside at least 2-4 hours for this.

Conficious University. The place of learning all things Confuscian, this was where China taught the elite that ruled and harnessed the power of a quarter of the worlds population for millennia.

Great Wall. We went to Mutianyu, go early and enjoy the sights you see only in photos, with the wall meandering it’s way neverendingly atop the dense forest then take them yourself. Just incredible.

2 last comments about Beijing, Firstly the air quality is awful, after only 5 nights there I left with a rasping cough that took a week to clear. And secondly, you must, must have the Peking Duck. Honestly, I think it might actually be an arrestable offence to leave Beijing having failed to try it!