Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Mar 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

We're going on a Bear Hunt, RV trip -Vancouver to Rockies - Day 14 - Banff, mountains and rivers

The last full day in the RV!

We had a pretty full on day planned with a gondola trip and a canoe trip in store, I also wanted some time to shop and get some last minute gifts.

The bonus of parking at the Park Canada sites in Banff is that there is a good shuttle service where you can get a bus down tunnel mountain for free, but there is a small charge to get back. The bus was pretty busy but very handy, and better than trying to park in town.

Once in town the challenge was to find where the free shuttle to the gondola went to. There are 2 gondolas in Banff, one which is a bit fancier and more touristy, than the chair lift that we got and, and the chairlift up mount Norquay.

We found the stop back at the train station and off we went up the mountain to the base of the chairlift.

It seemed that there were lots of options for fairly strenuous walking / climbing on Norquay but our kids are too young at the moment, and I'm not fit enough , but maybe one day!

We saw the most adorable Gopher at the base of the mountain by the chair lift!

We then caught the lift up to the top where there were some beautiful views of Banff and a friendly chipmunk!

(are they Gophers on the Roots Jumpers?)

After eating a picnic at the top we decided to head back down and to catch the shuttle back to town to move on to the next activity - canoeing!

Back off the shuttle we walked down to the Banff Canoe Club, which doesn't have toilet facilities !

I had to therefore walk back into town to go to the toilet before we could start the canoe rental. I left the kids and Simon there while I went.

Well I was about as good at canoeing as I was at horseriding, it was hard work! I have only been in kayaks before and these things are more like rowing boats!

Anyway it was very beautiful out there and by the end of the hour I felt as though I'd done my arm muscles some good!

After canoeing Simon agreed to entertain the kids for a couple of hours so that I could do some shopping for gifts. I was grateful for the free time and bought some bits for gifts!

We had decided to have dinner in town and opted for a place called Tooloulous which had good reviews on trip adviser, it was really good Louisina style food, we had a lovely meal.

After food we caught the bus back up the mountain and it was time to pack as the next morning we were to hand the RV back into Cruise Canada .
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 19, 04:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Hurray, you’re back.

Respect to you for horse riding and canoeing! Stunning scenery. I always wanted a campervan holiday, now I’m not too sure. You’re very brave.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List