Hotel Reviews: 4
To Disney World and Beyond (with a toddler) - Day 3 - Animal Kingdom

Day 3 - 08/04/2019 - Animal Kingdom

Today we were heading for Animal Kingdom with the only solid plans being:

Tusker House RoL package - 0950hrs

and FP's:

0900-1000hrs - Kilimanjaro Safaris
1200hrs - Festival of the Lion King
1815-1915hrs - Flight of Passage (earliest time we could get so early in the holiday)

Anyway, the alarm goes off at 0600hrs and whilst Holly is getting ready, I head down to the food court to get a coffee and hot lemon water for Holly. By the time I am back, Bobby is awake, so we give him a quick bath before I get ready as we hadn't last night!

We give him some Mickey Milk, straight from the carton with a straw, whilst we finish getting ready and packing the pram and the bags etc.

I should have said by now, we actually used packing cubes (that we bought for California in 2016) to go under the pram. One with snacks and bits in, and the other, which was 2 sided, packed with dry clothes (1 side) and rain clothes (the other side). We also bought a Disney bag for life, which we just packed with all of the stuff in the stroller when getting on the buses... found this easier than having to carry everything when collapsing the stroller!

Anyway, we leave the room just after 0710hrs, and although I said it took just under 2 mins to get to the main lobby, it takes a little longer when you let Bobby walk around... Here he is going back to the step, to jump off.

By the time we got to the bus stop around 0720hrs, we had just missed a bus

Next bus wasn't to be here till 0740hrs. But we were at the front of the Q, so straight on, and it was just over half full I would say! On our way to Animal Kingdom!

We were at Animal Kingdom for just after 0800hrs, and as you can see it was already still busy.

Through security fairly quickly, then we put Bobby back in the stroller and into the park... it was busy, and you could clearly see that everyone was asking a left at the tree to head to Pandora... and so were we!

Again, the plan had been to take it easy when going into AK, but we decided to head straight to Pandora and if we could (as we were running a little later than expected), was to get on Navi River Journey.

We got to the land just after 0820hrs, and wow, what a beautiful area. Although very busy still at this time. Instead of taking it all in, we parked the stroller up and joined the 25min queue for Navi. Great theming, and I noticed people on the Disney Parks app (game) searching for things in the queue. I had thought I was going to download this, to pass time in the queues... we had a bit of time, so I did. Although think I need to actually sit down and understand what to do first!

Strangely we bump into someone who Holly knows in the queue... It's a small World!

We loved this ride. Albeit quite short, Bobby was fascinated by it all, and so were we. The screen technology and of course the animatronic at the end... very good. Nice a relaxing, like a spa with the music and lights.

The queue all in all was only about 20 mins, so not too bad!

Once off, we have a little walk around the land which is simply breathtaking. I think FOP was already at over 100mins... and I don't think we saw it below this all holiday!

Next we headed for our first FP, Kilimanjaro Safaris! When we got there, it was only 10 mins wait for standby, so we decided not to use the FP and instead change this for later on in the day! It wasn't even 10 mins, and we parked the stroller (half way through the queue area) and straight onto the ride!

We thought Bobby would love this, and he did for the first half... but you could tell he was getting a little tired already and, yes... he fell asleep!

As he had fallen asleep, we thought best use of the re-arranged FP was to book this for later!

So once off the ride at around 0935hrs, we put him straight into the stroller, and he remained asleep... the last few days must have taken it out of him!

Made our way over to Tusker House, which is one we always go to... one of our favourite restaurants on site (even before DS). We check in for table of 3, although they put down table of 4 if Bobby hasn't woken up by then means we can take the stroller in with us!

Whilst waiting we decided on 2 things... Firstly to re-arrange the FP to Safaris around 1700-1800hrs, and secondly, not to go back to the hotel this afternoon and try a full day out! Lets see how we get on and how Bobby would react to this... Of course, we were always ready to go at the drop of a hat if he wasn't happy, or anything else.

Anyway, the buzzer goes off and we make our way into the restaurant with Bobby still in the stroller fast asleep! Food here great as always, and the added benefit now of a 'breakfast' cocktail with the DDP. I got the coffee and I can't remember which one Holly got!

So, Bobby didn't wake up for the first round of the characters... But we managed to get some photos of him, and we also had a look in... of course we did, big kids at heart!

The only one he hadn't met out of the characters had of course been Daisy. So we got Daisy to sign the book when she came round.

Thankfully he did wake up and just in time for another round of the characters!

Although I think he was a little hungry, as was although he liked seeing them again, he was more interested in his Rice Krispies and donut / muffin!

But we were only in there for about 1hr20mins and we managed to meet all of the characters twice!

We still had a spare TS credit left for some point in the holiday, and we both agreed to come back here... hopefully when Bobby wasn't sleeping!

Once done we head over for our FP at FOLK which says get there between 1130-1145hrs. It seems that many people get there a little earlier, as it was just after 1130hrs by the time we parked the stroller and there was a lot of people already in the queue. They start loading people through about 1150hrs and we manage to get a great seat in the Lion section

I had decided not to take many pictures for this and just to watch with Bobby and watch his face... We had to hold back the tears as he waved at the lion, clapped during the show and was mesmerised by it all! Kept getting our attention and pointing saying... Lion and Raffe (Giraffe).

We all loved it!

One last picture on the way out!

Then of course, straight across to the shop to pick up Bobby a little plush Simba!

We didn't have much planned now till 1700hrs, so we headed straight back to Pandora as Holly had heard about the drinks at Pongu Pongu! I promise, we do not have problems... but it was a hot day and a nice refreshing drink would be great right now!

Holly got the Rum Blossom and I got the Hawkes Grog Ale! Both absolutely lovely and went down a treat! Bobby still had an apple juice in his cup that we took away from Tusker House!

It was very hot and humid by now (1300hrs), and I struggled watching the Ranger 'show' in Pandora. I wanted to get in the stroller with Bobby and have the fan on me! Thankfully we both had our hats on at this point to provide some shelter!

Next stop would be It's tough to be a bug and as a tradition, we have always got this picture with Holly... now we had DS in there!

As expected, Bobby didn't really keep on the glasses, and it was a little bit scary for him with the spiders, some loud noises and the smoke! But he managed to watch the whole show (w/out glasses)...

After, here we make our way into Asia... and guess who we bump into!

Kevin and the Wilderness Explorers!

We manage to find a little bit of shade and after toilet stops, picking up some more juice for Bobby and topping up the cream, Holly thinks its a good idea to stand again in the sun watching some Bollywood dancing! I was melting now, but both Holly and Bobby didn't really seem to bothered by the heat! They both go up and have a little dance.

But we get Bobby back into the stroller (now around 1415hrs), and we get the fan on him! Think it's time for some shade, and we make our way to Nemo as there is a show at 1430hrs. One quick stop to take a photo! Not sure we will be going on this ride any time this holiday. Certainly didn't have a FP for it!

We got to the theatre around 1425hrs after parking the stroller, and manage to get seats very near the front on the side! Another great show, and we had to teach Bobby the names of the characters! He loved it and we did also, although I felt like I was flagging a bit and easily could have fallen asleep in there!

Bobby was also getting a bit tired again, so we put him straight into his stroller and walked over towards Dinoland... it wasn't long before he was asleep again and we lowered the stroller so he was lying down!

He loves dinosaurs, so we go over to the shop and pick him up some little toys and a stitch train, with we get sent back to the hotel! Great service this.

We decide instead of picking up a counter service, we head to Rainforest Cafe for an early dinner...

Not around 1630hrs and with the Landry card we are only waiting around 5-10 mins before we are seated. Thankfully Bobby woke up a few minutes before they called our name! So Holly parked the stroller and we were soon seated!

This was to be our worst meal of the holiday. I got the ribs, steak and shrimp trio and Holly got the ribs. Bobby got the chicken tidbits! Mine was 'ok', but we had to send Hollys back as the ribs came out cold! Food was completely average, and the service not much better! We didn't even bother with the desert as we just wanted to get out of there! Also note to self, that Landry credit cannot be used on alcoholic drinks, or speciality drinks for DS. So the waiter explained that the welcome reward of US$ 25 would only cover the US$8.99 for Bobbys meal and the rest would be wasted. We didn't even bother questing, said we would just pay for the meal (DDP and extras room charge) and got out. Disappointing to say the least! The whole experience that is!

Anyhow, we make our way back through the park to Africa and onto Safari's, for our 2nd FP of the day! Bobby managed to stay awake this time, and really enjoyed pointing out all of the animals. Sat on Hollys knee again all the way through! Again, not to self... don't let your little ones stand up as you will quickly get told to sit down. by the driver... it wasn't Bobby, but a child a few rows back from us who was trying to plead his innocence!

It was starting to get a bit dark now, and you could tell the weather was changing a little. As we got off the ride we felt a few drops in the air... by the time we had got half way down the path the heavens opened! Oh no... the stroller didn't have a cover on! I take shelter with Bobby and Holly runs ahead to the stroller and takes shelter in the nearest shop!

The rain was unbelievable and no-one was moving from the slight shelter we had!

As it went off just a little, I ran to the next bit of shelter holding Bobby telling him everything was ok... he was a little scared by the weather and especially when the rain was on him! Again, next time it goes off a little I run all the way through (as safely as I could) to meet Holly at the shop! Here we get his waterproof jacket on, and get the cover for the stroller on!

All in all, the rain lasted for about 20-25 minutes and we were both soaked through. Thankfully, Bobby not so much!

But we were getting close now to the end of our FP for FOP... so once the rain had gone off completely, we make our way back to Avatar. Holly goes on first and we get a rider switch, as we were not too sure how long it would take her to get through and would be after the FP time (for me) had ended!

We wait in the shop and then meet her as she comes down the stairs... holly is in tears telling me how wonderful and amazing it is! She absolutely loved the ride... It took about 20-25 mins to get through the Q and the ride.

My turn next... I wasn't as impressed by it. I thought it was a very good ride, but didn't take my breath away as I expected. Maybe it is all about expectations! Or as I find out later in the holiday... position on the ride also!

But very good ride, and great addition to Animal Kingdom / WDW!

Whilst I was on the ride, Holly had taken Bobby to change him into some new clothes as was still a little damp from the rainfall earlier!

We make our way out of Pandora... and as you can see, the ponchos on people, but the clouds have gone... starting to get dark now!

With Bobby in the stroller, we make our way to the Dining package entrance (near Nemo) for RoL. Show is to start at 2030hrs, and we arrive about 15mins before!

Great seats and great view... Bobby enjoying seeing the shadows in the trees at the back of all the animals walking along!

Nice show, and happy we have seen it, but not sure we would bother again! I like the way AK is now an evening park also, with the new shows at Pandora, but wasn't overly impressed by this addition. None of us were!

To be honest, it had been a long day, and although a very very good one... it probably was a little adventurous for only our 2nd full day!

Probably glad for a chilled morning tomorrow! Plus after the rain fall and getting a little wet, it was getting a bit chilly now!

We don't get Bobby into his stroller and I walk along with him on my shoulders... he had had 2 good sleeps today and was still wide awake!

one great thing about POFQ was the small queues for the buses every time we were heading home in the evening!

We were actually on the bus for about 2120hrs and back at the resort for just after 2135hrs.

Bobby fell asleep on the bus, and Holly almost did. I had to make sure she stayed awake especially whilst holding Bobby!

Back at the resort and back to the room just after 2140hrs... great great day, and Bobby loved seeing the animals and especially the Festival of the Lion King. Shame he didn't get to see much of Dinoland. Loved the characters and we will be sure to book this again, when hopefully he isn't sleeping!

But we get back to the room and I crack open a bud light lime... Bobby is straight into bed, and we just chill watching a bit of TV. Whilst lying there, I get thinking that I hadn't;t seen my hat when loading and unloading the bag (used for the buses). However, I just thought they may be in one of the packing cubes... too tired to check now and we soon both nod off!

No alarm set for the next morning, and just going to have a chilled one in the resort before heading to MK and DHS!

End of Day 3!

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom / DHS

Index

Edited at 08:58 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Good tip to use packing cubes under the pushchair. We’re here now with our 2 grandchildren (& their parents) and the loading and unloading does my head in! I missed the cocktails in AK, will have a look tonigh, thanks for the tip 😀
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Wow what a jam packed day, you all did so well to last that long on your second day!

That's a great idea to do bath time in the morning, I hadn't really thought about the fact that we will be getting in too late in the evenings to do it before bed like normal!

Such a shame you had a bad meal at RFC, we have been to the AK one a couple of times and had a good experience Luckily Tusker House made up for it on the food stakes on this day!

Really enjoying reading all this, and taking down lots of tips along the way!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel princess
Very Serious Dibber

Great idea with he cubes, will give that a try in October as my little one will be 18 months and found it a hassle emptying the stroller last time! Cant believe you managed to do so much, we normally only last a few hours in a park, great day! x

2005, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 (including Disney Cruise), 2017, 2018
Ariel princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Well done to you all for lasting all day, i'm impressed when I last until 5 on Day 2.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks for reading all. Day 4 now up.
Old 25 May 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahLouise
Excited about Disney

How much does your child sleep !

I also went with our then 13m old a few years ago and she was a nightmare. Refused sleep every day, remember pushing her around AK with her screaming she was a state!

I have two kids now, neither of them sleep pahaha what have I done wrong
April 16 SSR/AKL and Cabana Bay! Sadie's first trip and OUR WEDDING! Followed by the Disney Magic EBTA
SarahLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellie
Very Serious Dibber

Cinderellie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
Glad I found this report, were not going tim sep 2020 when my boy will be 2.5 years old. But was just thinking to myself about using a packing cubes to organise our stuff in the park!
Cinderellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by SarahLouise View Post
How much does your child sleep !

I also went with our then 13m old a few years ago and she was a nightmare. Refused sleep every day, remember pushing her around AK with her screaming she was a state!

I have two kids now, neither of them sleep pahaha what have I done wrong
At home... midday nap for about 1-2hrs.

In Orlando... generally was 1-2 naps of anywhere between 1-1.5hrs! Worked out really well and he does love his pram!
Old 28 May 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cinderellie View Post
Glad I found this report, were not going tim sep 2020 when my boy will be 2.5 years old. But was just thinking to myself about using a packing cubes to organise our stuff in the park!
Thanks for reading! DW had that idea (not sure were she got it from) and it worked really well!

We have booked again for May 2020 when DS will be turning 3!