Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 May 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

Advice re very strict budget, hotel shuttles/Lynx buses and food

Hi

I hope you guys can help. I'm helping a friend plan a honeymoon trip to Disney - I love planning itineraries etc so that wasn't a problem. But I am kinda stumped re their arrangements re food and travel and need your help please!

They are booked to stay at Hilton Seaworld and have tickets for Disney (14 day park hopper etc) and a day at Discovery Cove with Seaworld and Aquatica tickets included. They also have Universal tickets I believe. Last 4 days of holiday are in Clearwater and they have a hotel booked there and a car rental to take them from orlando to Clearwater and then to the Tampa airport. They booked with Ocean Florida.

Problem: they have no car when they are at the Hilton Seaworld. Their spending money is £500 (possible £200 more) for food and transport for 2 weeks for 2 of them.

First thing I suggested was they swap from the hilton to the Residence Inn at Seaworld so they have a kitchen as the hilton doesn't even have a fridge in the room. And I think the Residence Inn is a bit cheaper so they may save a little. This would help a lot re the food as they can have a couple of meals in or make sandwiches and bring snacks etc and just eat out once a day locally. I explained eating on site would, on their budget, just be a counter service meal each or shared and then a couple of snacks.

Re transport however i'm at a loss. My research into buses and hotel shuttles has brought up nothing but stress and long trips and waiting and they are in their 50's and health isn't so great. Have any of you used Lynx or hotel shuttles? Are they ok?

I'm tempted to try to convince them to hire a call the whole stay - I believe Residence Inn has free parking - and find the money for the parks parking because honestly I don't want them spending 3-4 hours a day on buses

I really want to help them have a great holiday but I need your help, would be very grateful for any advice please!

Thank you x
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay

Edited at 02:19 PM. Reason: change title
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

£500 is not alot or is it £500 each, they will struggle with just £500 for 2 weeks for 2 we did it on a budget nd for food we budgeted $100 a day which e spent under every day but went armed with lots of vouchers
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

its £500 for both
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie2604
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile

Lynx buses take forever. They're cheap but definitely not worth the time and hassle. Uber/Lyft are easy and reasonably priced if the hotel shuttle isn't convenient. Whatever they choose, that budget really isn't enough.
Melanie2604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Sadly, I don't think they can do it on that budget. Approx £35 a day is not going to be enough for food and transport.
Old 31 May 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

I know, I feel so bad because she was so excited and i've now come along and just said 'this won't work, this takes too long', i'm being a bit negative about things but honestly, if they just turned up and then ran out of money then what? I'm hoping they take my advice on board and get the car. They can save a lot more on food if they have the car and then they don't have to worry about unexpected taxi expenses.
Old 31 May 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Id show her some menus with prices and explain
U can do a "fake shop" on publix website to show her prices.
Show her on uber app approx fares.
I really think this is a non starter.
Taxis would prob be cheaper than paying wdw parking fees tho
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

do you think so? Because they are staying by SeaWorld I thought having the car would be cheaper. I expect a taxi to Animal Kingdom would be $30/$40 each way. They will probably do 6 days at Disney, 2 at Universal and 1 at Seaworld (they can walk to seaworld) and 1 at discovery cove
Old 31 May 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Uber or Lyft would be cheaper than parking fees and taxis for sure. I'd advise them to use the hotel shuttle where possible, then Uber/Lyft where it isn't.

They'll have to eat cheap, good news is staying in that area they should be able to reach all the good value chain restaurants for dinner. Sign up for Denny's, Ihop etc rewards with their emails to get vouchers.

Even doing it this cheap, they're going to need substantially more than £500 for 2 weeks unfortunately, I'd say that was a decent budget for a week, definitely not 2.
Old 31 May 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Eloise73 View Post
I know, I feel so bad because she was so excited and i've now come along and just said 'this won't work, this takes too long', i'm being a bit negative about things but honestly, if they just turned up and then ran out of money then what? I'm hoping they take my advice on board and get the car. They can save a lot more on food if they have the car and then they don't have to worry about unexpected taxi expenses.
I really don't think you have any choice but to tell them to increase their budget. If that is not possible, then they really need to find an alternative destination which is within budget, including the spending money, which is essential, not a nice to have when it covers food!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List