Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Theme Parks Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, FastPass+ Questions and Info.
Discount Florida Car Hire
Unread 11 Jul 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Wandmaker
Trying for More Ears

Discovery Cove help

We have booked a last minute trip leaving on 16/08. We are not doing Disney this time but want to do Universal and probably Discovery Cove/Sea World/Aquatica.

Wondering whether to do the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove? Is it worth the extra money? Also, the price drops by quite a lot a few days before we fly home but i have read that many people recommend booking at the start of the holiday in case of cancellation - would you risk booking towards the end?
Wandmaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
You're a wizard Harry
Unread 11 Jul 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
VIP Dibber

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We did the swim in 2014 and it was the highlight of our holiday so, yes, I'd highly recommend it. Getting your booking in for early in your holiday is also a good idea just in case of cancellation. We're going again in 2020 (for 7 nights) and have booked it as our first day. It also helps that this is Presidents Day so the parks will be heaving while Discovery Cove has a limited number of people.
Unread 11 Jul 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Very Serious Dibber

We did the dolphin swim in 2015 and weren't that impressed.

It was a complete conveyor belt set up re the interactions.

In 2017 we went again for a non-swim and got a cabana right next to the Grand Reef (the best bit of Discovery Cove IMO). We much preferred this day and are planning to do,the same next year.
Unread 11 Jul 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We did the swim last year and werent that impressed either. It was lovely for my dd who never done it but it was a lot of waiting about and a bit too rehearsed for me.

However we are going back this year without the swim as it was a great day
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 11 Jul 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kevybaby
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

We went last week for the first time and it was one of the best days of our holiday. I have to agree though that the dolphin swim wasn't that impressive! They get it to swim by your group of approx 8 a few times and u can give it a pet and then everyone in turn gets pulled about 10 metres. That's it!
The grand reef was absolutely amazing though We will definitely go back but wouldnt bother with the dolphin swim.
Kevybaby is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time family trip
Unread 11 Jul 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kevybaby
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

If you can I would get the ultimate ticket and head to Busch gardens for the day too. Our favourite park by a mile Hope you have a great trip.
Kevybaby is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time family trip
Unread 11 Jul 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BaconAndAvocado View Post
We did the dolphin swim in 2015 and weren't that impressed.

It was a complete conveyor belt set up re the interactions.

In 2017 we went again for a non-swim and got a cabana right next to the Grand Reef (the best bit of Discovery Cove IMO). We much preferred this day and are planning to do,the same next year.
I agree that the dolphn swim was rushed and a conveyor belt, so we are just doing the non dolphn swim this year and doing the sea venture again. Tickets were quite cheap with seaworld and aquatica included.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Gender neutral holiday
Unread 11 Jul 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Its a gamble as to whether to book with potentially time to reschedule. Aug weather in my experience is usually pretty consistent (hot am/hot pm with thunderstorms). If it was really wet all day, it would be an unusual weather system (eg tail end of a hurricane) in which case it would probably be similar weather for a several days (and might not clear fast enough to rebook?).

If it were a significant price difference, I personally might be tempted to book for the cheaper day.

Dolphin swim was a conveyor belt experience. I still thought it worth it, but definitely not everyone thinks this. For me, if I did the swim, Id want the pictures (which would in turn up the price - significantly!)

There is plenty to do without the swim.

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to Port Orleans Riverside!
Orlando Attractions