Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 15 Aug 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mimistef View Post
Have a safe flight and an amazing time in Florida.

Thank you!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Looking forward to reading! Have a great trip!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Excellent weather to fly away from today! Hope the flight went well. 😊
Not too bad in the end. We weren’t massively delayed but immigration was long and boring.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We’re here!

We took off just under an hour late but we’d still landed by about 3:15 so it wasn’t too bad at all.
The flight was fine but without wanting to sound picky, there were hardly any movies I was interested in.
I read and watched Fred, Gordon and Gino’s road trip.
Drinks and pretzels came around quickly and there was a good variety. I had Prosecco,OH beer and DS a coke.

The food was fine. I’ve had far worse ready meals!
I only ate the pasta but the other 2 finished but the rest.

I had vegetarian pasta and they had chicken and chorizo casserole which they both ate so it really wasn’t awful at all.

The usual stuff accompanied it but the salad had been replaced by a fairly horrible looking cold tomatoey potato salad. DS said ‘it’s not the best’ but loved the salted chocolate pots and was delighted I didn’t want mine!

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

OH cracked open the questionable treats DS bought back for us from South Africa last week when the next round of drinks arrived.
I’m not sure what he was trying to say? 😬😆

They were quite nice actually.

Next up were the mini magnums and shortly before landing the chicken Caesar sandwiches and banana cake.
The gannets ate those for me!

I’m the absence of a decent movie I managed to read practically an entire book and have a snooze.
I was awoken by DS who’d decided we had a suspicious passenger onboard and was genuinely terrified. I had to basically tell him that once off the ground, unfortunately you’re powerless and also, just because someone looks like they need a shower, doesn’t mean they’re taking the plane down 🤦🏼
Grated he did look a little unusual but I spoke to said gentleman at the taxi rank (about something unrelated obvs 😆 ) and he was utterly charming!
If DS hadn’t had the window seat I genuinely think he might have alerted a crew member 🙈
He never worries on a plane so it was a bit of a surprise tbh.

The captain announced that we’d most likely be landing in a storm and that it was 26 degrees 🤔
We didn’t and it isn’t!
The sun was shining, the sky was blue and it’s really hot!

Immigration was really slow. None of the automatic machines were in operation at all, is that normal now? Everyone had to wait for a total of 4 officers.
Ours was very friendly but OH was watching the officer next to us who said nothing, just pointed and looked like he was loving life...
however, that meant we pretty much grabbed our bags from the carousel as we walked by without even stopping!
Not before being sniffed by a gorgeous Beagle 😍 We all wanted to stroke it but of course we didn’t.
It was thoroughly enjoying working. Very waggy!
The handler asked if we’d come from France to which we said no.
I’m not sure if they were expecting drugs coming in from France or if it was because DS was in a stripy top?! We think the latter and found it funnier than it probably was!

We’re not collecting our car until we leave Miami Beach. Last time we realised it was a complete waste of money on the rental AND parking charges!
We grabbed a taxi fairly quickly and had a nice chatty driver.
If anyone needs to know, it seems to be a set charge from the airport to Miami Beach of $46 plus tip

We arrived at the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside by about 5 ish which is actually really good going.
We have a lovely ocean front suite. We’ve stayed here before and it’s a good choice we think. It’s not in the thick of it granted, but it’s a bit less expensive than being right on south beach and it’s quite new and well maintained.
Eden Roc would be our other choice but I couldn’t get the room we had last time for anything like a reasonable price! The exchange really is making a big difference.

DS insisted on bringing jeans and long sleeved tops 🤦🏼
I didn’t bother arguing, I figured he’d soon realise he’s a fool 🤣🤣
He changed pretty quick!

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great start! Love the name of the snacks 🙈 following along.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

We all showered and changed, watched a bit of the news and relaxed then grabbed a cab for our dinner reservation at 7:30.
We love Matador Room so it seemed a good choice for the 1st night 😊

I was a bit slack with pictures but they’re coming up...

FYI, the taxi drivers here don’t seem have ‘the knowledge’.
We noticed this last time. It’s not a huge area and they tend to have no idea where you want to go. Uber drivers seem to be much better!
Our yellow cab driver last night was not only clueless (DH had to give him a route) but his driving was bloody terrifying!

I’ve taken pictures of the menu but I don’t know how zoomable they’ll be. I’ll give it a go

Fist up we were given pink fizz at check in as it’s our anniversary tomorrow 🥰
Must have been logged from last time.

I then had a ginger mule type drink. I cannot remember what it was? It was incredibly strong! Even OH winced. Nice though.

His was a basil and jalapeño margarita.also very strong!

DS had the non alcoholic version of their signature pineapple cocktail with smoking rosemary.

We had their delicious pea guacamole whilst we decided on the rest!
It’s tapas style so we just shared everything and the dishes arrived as and when.

We had the calamari

Hearts of palm and heirloom tomato salad

Pollo con arroz

A sort of Patatas bravas type of thing

Glazed short rib tacos

And the crab and corn fritters

We had a couple of desserts to share but I didn’t take pictures.
A sour cherry creme brûlée and a cherry and pistachio pavlova.
Both were nice but we’re not that fussed with desserts. We didn’t need them at all! 🐷
It’s just so beautiful there.
Such a fantastic start to the holiday.
Service was faultless and the food was delicious.
It’s my number 1 restaurant recommendation in Miami Beach

I think we were back by about 9:30. OH popped to publix for water but they don’t take ApplePay so he’s just nipped out now.
We’ve both been sat on the balcony since about 4 watching the ships on the water and the sun rising

Thank so much for reading along!
I will do my best to keep going daily but I know last time I forgot 😬

Edited at 11:59 AM.
Old 15 Aug 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Mobile

Haha fridge suprise! Love it, we had something similar before our holiday consisting of random stuff from the freezer
Sounds like a good trip you’ve got planed- a nice mix
Old 15 Aug 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great start!

Love the look of the patatas bravas and the tacos. The cocktails looked amazing and the restaurant fab.

So nice for your first meal
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Matador Room looks absolutely delicious, I would have no self control there and just order everything!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List