Notices

Old 13 Oct 09, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
luvaduck
Excited about Disney

The word is WOW! - Pre trippie.

Hello and welcome back to our trippies for this year. For those of you who remember last years efforts, I am Luvaduck and my OH is alysond.
Now last year we went in May with Alyson’s DS2 and his girlfriend and on arriving back home we were being asked by DS1 when we were going to take them on holiday. We last went in July 06 to Ibiza with them and my DD1 & DD2 so we said ‘we’ll take you somewhere next year’. It was throwaway remark like telling the wife you’ll do it tomorrow so we thought nothing of it, thinking they may forget about it. No such luck, they started to talk about places we could go so that set Alyson and me into looking at where we could go with 4 adults, a 4 year old and a 13 month old.
The travel agents and internet took a hammering for a day or 3 as we thought an all inclusive deal in Europe would be the best option. That way we don’t have to pay for meals every night and the beer is free for us and for the non drinker’s unlimited coke and coffee.
Well this didn’t work out too well as the cheapest we could find was coming out at about £4500 for all of us for 2 weeks. Now normally that wouldn’t be too bad but we were paying around £600 for a 4 year old and he doesn’t eat that much plus also paying quite a lot for the 13 month old which seemed ludicrous, so that was THAT option out.
Then Alyson had the bright idea of going back to Florida. We had a great apartment at Vista Cay last year which would suit all of us and the food was cheap and plentiful. So planning went into overdrive and here we are. We have booked Vista Cay through Golden Florida and the flights, car hire and Disney park tickets through Charter Travel. We must give a big thank you and pat on the back to Jon at Charter as Alyson was on to him every day with endless questions and nothing was too much trouble for him. He even explained why the sky is blue! (PM Alyson if you really want to know)
So here we are with not much time to go and we’re nearly ready for the off. We have been buying provisions like coffee and washing tablets on a weekly basis leading up to the holiday, simply because we don`t want to end up buying huge packets of stuff out there and wasting most of it. Alyson has been sorting clothes out ready to pack, and buying accessories like they’re going out of fashion. We`ve both done endless web based research even though we`ve been 4 times before. This is our first trip with little ones and we want to make sure the holiday is geared up round them.
Here we go with the introduction.
As you know, I am Luvaduck and my name is Glenn and my partner is alysond and as you know she is Alyson funnily enough, now coming with us this time is Alyson’s DS1 and his family who are Alex who is 26 and his wife Viqui-Leigh who is 22. Viqui was born in South Africa and her name is pronounced as Vicky. To finish the crew we have our grandson1 who is Jaiden and he will be 4 one the day we fly, then there’s grandson2 who is Ashton and he will be 13 months when we travel.
The holiday actually started the weekend before we left as Alex and family came to visit us so they could all have their hair and waxings done. They live down in Weymouth and they often come to visit us in Aberdare as the cost of hairdressers is an awful lot cheaper than it is down south. Viqui is booked in for the Saturday to get all the cut, colours, waxings etc sorted and Alex is getting his hair done. They spend the weekend with us then leave Jaiden to stay with Gran and Grandad for a few days, this gives Viqui time to pack and get stuff sorted out without a 4yr old driving her crazy with ‘Are we going on holiday today?’(Alyson has been lucky enough to get 3 whole weeks off work so she planned to get our entire packing etc done before the Jaiden whirlwind arrived)
Work has been quiet before I finished on the Tuesday so I’ve been listening to WHTQ 96.5 radio and WMMO 98.9 through to internet to get me in the mood. We found these stations last year and found them best for the sort of rock music we like. Wednesday is spent with us all having our hair cut, waxings sorted (Boys don’t do it, I’ve heard it stings) and doing the last min bits and bobs like making sure the bed is clean for when we come back (seems to be a real concern to women, coming back to a clean bed!)
I try to sort out online check in 24 hours before we go but not so simple! I go through the procedure and it tells me I am unable to do this and have to check in as normal at the airport. Oh dear, is this going to be the first thing to go wrong?
We then take Alyson’s mother out to lunch as we won`t be seeing her for almost 3 weeks before packing the cases in the car and heading off to Weymouth.
The plan is for us to stay the night with Alex and family; the taxi will collect us at 5.30 on the Thursday morning and take us all to Gatwick for the flight. That way hopefully neither family will wake up and realise they`ve overslept and the plane is about to leave without them (one of Alyson’s many nightmares! )
We thought this to be the best option as it would have taken 2 cars to get us to the airport, 2 lots of parking then we’d have to drive back on the return and may not have had a lot of sleep. We have been quoted a price of £300 for the return journey which we thought very reasonable. So we arrive in Weymouth, reorganise suitcases to make sure they`re all underweight, and go down to the beach for fish and chips in Auntie Hailey’s restaurant, really yummy! We then get back home and try to get the boys to bed.
That's easier said than done as Jaiden is like a top, all wound up and will not stop. He finally gives in after we drug him (only joking if anybody from social services is reading this). Then it`s a final check to make sure the bags are locked and labelled, the buggies are folded and ready, the car seats are out of the cars ready for the taxi and we`re done. What we don`t have we`ll have to get there, it`s not exactly outer Mongolia is it?
Time for us all to get to bed as a 5am start in the morning and we’re off.
ONE MORE SLEEP!
May 08 - Vista Cay. Oct 09 - Isle of Cay. June 10 - Road trip with no kids! July 13 - Alyson's mystery road trip. Oct 14 - Married in Las Vegas. Feb 16 - Phoenix my 50th! May 16 - Florida. Sept 17 - NEW YORK Alyson's 40th.
luvaduck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
hi

great pre-trippie

looking forward to hearing all about your trip
Old 13 Oct 09, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

cant wait for the rest
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 09, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
great pre trip report
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 09, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cesca86
Very Serious Dibber

cesca86's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Great Pre Trip Have a good one
Lumiere: Ma chère mademoiselle. It is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight. And now, we invite to relax, let us pull up a chair, as the dining room proudly presents... your dinner.
cesca86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 09, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Found the pre-trip after Day 1 - now I have figured out who everyone is I can now go off to read day 2
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 09, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
looking forward to reading this
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 10, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma Y
Put the kettle on

Emma Y's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Great start, off to read some more

Emma
Emma Y is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 10, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Off to read more now I've read this one!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List