Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 May 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
florida-2014
Proud to wear my Ears

Travelling to Florida by boat (but not a cruise)

Hi there,

This may be a bit of a strange question, but are there any services that offer transport to the US by boat that is not as luxurious/expensive as a cruise?

If so, can anyone recommend some options along with cost and times?

Thanks!
florida-2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I think travel by boat as a scheduled service ceased when commercial air travel took hold in the 60s

On that basis, i think you have missed the boat

Disney332
Old 23 May 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

There are probably options for going on a container or other commercial ship. I’m sure I’ve seen that on TV but it is extremely basic and not something I would fancy doing. I’m afraid I have no idea where you’d start to look into it but would suggest google is your friend !
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Take a look on Cruise Critic - there is a section there for these commercial berths
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

In all honesty a positioning cruise may very well be cheaper !
(I did look at it once as I think it’d be quite nice cosseted in a cabin for a week with a pile of books )
From memory the cheaper options tended to be from places like Poland rather then the U.K. which were very expensive by comparison.

Edited at 01:22 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

You can sail across but its not cheap and takes a few weeks.
An example of the US to UK trip ($5000+) one way
anotherworldadventures.c...usa-to-the-uk/

or have a read of this article which includes links for booking a passage on a freighter.
raileurope/blog/travel...ship-freighter
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

There are websites that show cargo boats, in fact my husband and i were discussing a friend who took a cargo boat to the caribbean, it was a banana boat.

It's quite expensive he paid 110euros a day and they wont tell you how many days, depends on the weather and port entry.

He had no wife, took lots of books to read, food was ok, crew were all Philapino and didn't speak English. Ok if you are happy in your own company and need space to write a book or work on a project!

Google cargo ship passengers, when i checked they had suspended having passengers because of Covid.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Look at repositioning cruises. we did one with Royal Caribbean in May/June a few years ago. They were sailing back from the Caribbean where the ship had spent the winter. We sailed Fort Lauderdale back to the Uk with only a couple of stops in France, so cheaper than a regular cruise.

other than that there's Cunard Queen Mary 2 which sails regularly Southampton to New York (& return) not as cheap but a great trip
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

repositioning cruises are your best bet - they are actually cheaper anyway than container vessels... We have done a few ( notesfromthebarn.blogspot/) and have a couple planned heading to Cape Canav in the future.

The other issue with trade container rooms etc is they very rarely stick to schedule

There is nothing better than taking a TA and sailing into port though - especially New York.

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK

Edited at 04:12 PM.
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida-2014 View Post
Hi there,

This may be a bit of a strange question, but are there any services that offer transport to the US by boat that is not as luxurious/expensive as a cruise?

If so, can anyone recommend some options along with cost and times?

Thanks!
Im sure theres a very logical reason like a fear of flying or maybe not being on a plane in the current pandemic - however im intrigued to know why you would want to?
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List