Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Tell me about airbnb

Hi, currently looking into places to stay on a west coast trip for next year, airbnb seems very popular but I know nothing about it, is it people’s own homes that they rent out?, does it carry any risks?, any advice at all really? Thanks
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Anyone?😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've only usednairbnb twice. A few years ago to stay in a london flat- great experience. We booked an apartment in Washington for earlier this month, obviously holiday we cancelled and we promptly received a refund of money paid (deposit)

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21

Edited at 06:52 PM.
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We have stayed in Airbnb once before and it went very well. We had a proper area within a large house with our own bathroom etc. There was a communal kitchen and the house owners were there, very friendly, but not intrusive. We had use of the kitchen, coffee maker etc and they provided cereal, granola bars, fruit etc.

You can rent all sorts of accommodation or parts of accommodation. For instance on the site I’ve seen a mobile caravan in someone’s garden as accommodation. You can rent the whole property sometimes, i.e. without the owner there.

Our experience is very limited but has been good.

I understand that certain parts of the States prohibit short term lets, so be careful to check the area you wish to visit.

We have a booking for this year in Italy, which may well not go ahead. We will get a full refund as long as we cancel a week or more before we stay. I don’t know if that’s a standard Airbnb rule or only for those owners that select it.

I have read heard horror stories where people turn up and the accommodation doesn’t exist or isn’t available. By the same token I heard about renters trashing a place. Hopefully these are rare.

A good starter for 10 is to make a general enquiry with the owner, see if they respond say within 24 hours, how open and friendly they are in terms of your queries. It’s not a guarantee, but may be a good indication.

To be on the site as an owner or potential renter you have to provide some forms of ID, so hopefully issues will be minimal.

Edited at 05:41 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
We have stayed in Airbnb once before and it went very well. We had a proper area within a large house with our own bathroom etc. There was a communal kitchen and the house owners were there, very friendly, but not intrusive. We had use of the kitchen, coffee maker etc and they provided cereal, granola bars, fruit etc.

You can rent all sorts of accommodation or parts of accommodation. For instance on the site I’ve seen a mobile caravan in someone’s garden as accommodation. You can rent the whole property sometimes, i.e. without the owner there.

Our experience is very limited but has been good.

I understand that certain parts of the States prohibit short term lets, so be careful to check the area you wish to visit.

We have a booking for this year in Italy, which may well not go ahead. We will get a full refund as long as we cancel a week or more before we stay. I don’t know if that’s a standard Airbnb rule or only for those owners that select it.

I have read heard horror stories where people turn up and the accommodation doesn’t exist or isn’t available. By the same token I heard about renters trashing a place. Hopefully these are rare.

A good starter for 10 is to make a general enquiry with the owner, see if they respond say within 24 hours, how open and friendly they are in terms of your queries. It’s not a guarantee, but may be a good indication.

To be on the site as an owner or potential renter you have to provide some forms of ID, so hopefully issues will be minimal.
Thanks very much for that reply, I had heard of accommodation not existing myself which made me a bit nervous but I think I will brave it at least once or twice for our trip.
Old 23 May 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I have used Airbnb many times all over the world but I have a feeling it is not OK in some or most of California?
Old 23 May 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks for reply,I’ll keep that in mind👍
Old 23 May 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

It is banned in many parts of the US we have vacationed but I have used Airbnb in areas where it is legal and had good experiences. We had an airstream trailer in Gold Country California and a house in Palm Springs. We chose super hosts and clicked 'entire place' as we didn't want to see places where you share with the family or with other renters. I also researched the local laws and made sure it was legal and the owner had their licence number displayed and we didn't book until 12 weeks out. Americans don't book as early as we do and booking a year plus ahead just allows too much time for something to go wrong.

Airbnb seems to work best when it is in an area geared up for tourism and there is plenty of vacation home stock in the area. Those places welcome airbnb usage and it's very unlikely that local laws will ban it, neighbours will object and get the property off airbnb or that the owner will cancel your booking before you get there.

As for your forst question it was initially supposed to be renting out your couch or spare room. Then it became people doing up the guest house or garage and renting it out. Then people who had a second vacation home moved over to the platform and put their holidays homes up on it and then it became a business and people starting buying up apartments and houses and getting them mortgaged based on proposed airbnb income. It has been interesting to read of people who are now in financial difficulty as they gave up careers to go into airbnb and are now left with a few empty properties and a few mortgages to pay every month! So as you can see it's a mixed bag on there with everything from someone's couch to spare rooms to entire luxury mansions. Some cities require the owner to be present and only allow room rentals to stop landlords buying up apartments for airbnb and pricing locals out of the market.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
It is banned in many parts of the US we have vacationed but I have used Airbnb in areas where it is legal and had good experiences. We had an airstream trailer in Gold Country California and a house in Palm Springs. We chose super hosts and clicked 'entire place' as we didn't want to see places where you share with the family or with other renters. I also researched the local laws and made sure it was legal and the owner had their licence number displayed and we didn't book until 12 weeks out. Americans don't book as early as we do and booking a year plus ahead just allows too much time for something to go wrong.

Airbnb seems to work best when it is in an area geared up for tourism and there is plenty of vacation home stock in the area. Those places welcome airbnb usage and it's very unlikely that local laws will ban it, neighbours will object and get the property off airbnb or that the owner will cancel your booking before you get there.

As for your forst question it was initially supposed to be renting out your couch or spare room. Then it became people doing up the guest house or garage and renting it out. Then people who had a second vacation home moved over to the platform and put their holidays homes up on it and then it became a business and people starting buying up apartments and houses and getting them mortgaged based on proposed airbnb income. It has been interesting to read of people who are now in financial difficulty as they gave up careers to go into airbnb and are now left with a few empty properties and a few mortgages to pay every month! So as you can see it's a mixed bag on there with everything from someone's couch to spare rooms to entire luxury mansions. Some cities require the owner to be present and only allow room rentals to stop landlords buying up apartments for airbnb and pricing locals out of the market.
Thank you so much for that detailed reply, on reflection I don’t think it’s for me and I’ll stick to the likes of booking.com, I don’t want the worry of accommodation problems before we go.
Old 23 May 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I was looking at brogan tate videos on you tube and they found amazing one near universal

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List