Notices

Old 15 Jun 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Thanks Mel. Got them to confirm the 24th today, so that's all booked at least.
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fabulous trip there Neil but rubbish news about your knee.

I'm sure CW/First will help with the knee, perhaps ask about a compression support?

It's "kneearly" time for you to go, do check out restaurant.com for some coupons, and the Vegas coupon sites, including Travelzoo. There is a Grand Lux Cafe in your hotel which is lovely (sister restaurant to Cheesecake Factory so normal prices), and check out Original Pancake Co for a "locals" diner when you have the car for breakfast, although there is a Denny's opposite the Mirage ish. There's a House of Blues too (I think). Bahama breeze is a drive from your hotel, or cab ride (about $10). Hash House A Go Go is reasonable too.

And not to be a debbie downer, have a think about hiring a normal car for the duration, as it might be much easier on your knees, you can valet at any of the hotels for free (just tip a few $ on collection).

There's a Walgreen beneath/near your hotel for water/snacks too.

Edited at 09:01 PM.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Just caught up with this Neil and what a worry! Hope the pain stays minimal and your mobility is not affected too much. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
Fabulous trip there Neil but rubbish news about your knee.

I'm sure CW/First will help with the knee, perhaps ask about a compression support?

It's "kneearly" time for you to go, do check out restaurant.com for some coupons, and the Vegas coupon sites, including Travelzoo. There is a Grand Lux Cafe in your hotel which is lovely (sister restaurant to Cheesecake Factory so normal prices), and check out Original Pancake Co for a "locals" diner when you have the car for breakfast, although there is a Denny's opposite the Mirage ish. There's a House of Blues too (I think). Bahama breeze is a drive from your hotel, or cab ride (about $10). Hash House A Go Go is reasonable too.

And not to be a debbie downer, have a think about hiring a normal car for the duration, as it might be much easier on your knees, you can valet at any of the hotels for free (just tip a few $ on collection).

There's a Walgreen beneath/near your hotel for water/snacks too.
Thanks Ruth. Excellent punnage! I've got a knee sleeve thingy already (might buy another couple) and a knee brace which I'm trying to avoid wearing as the physio says it's better to not use it as it will weaken the muscles. I'll probably wear it a lot out there though! I have crutches and a stick, too. Also I went to the GP today and asked for some better pain relief and they've stocked me up which is really helping a lot. Don't know why I didn't do that sooner! I'm going to see them again just before I go to get a higher-dosage one if needed - their idea!

Thanks for the tips! I clocked the Grand Lux Cafe the other day. Might be a good choice for my "birthday breakfast". There's a Denny's next door to the hotel as well. Bahama Breeze is definitely on the list!

Extra car hire is a thought but I think I'll just Uber/cab it everywhere!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Just caught up with this Neil and what a worry! Hope the pain stays minimal and your mobility is not affected too much. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll struggle through whilst off my face on Codeine - has been getting me down a bit though, but the better meds are helping.

I think I made it worse by going into the office 2 days this week, and taking a walk from the office to Starbucks, which I thought was about 5-10 minutes walk every other time I've done it, but turned out to be about 100 miles away.

So I've been at home again all week, and Ele thinks I should just work from home until we go. She's almost certainly correct in that, I'm just not sure that "I'm staying at home for 2 weeks so I can go on holiday" will go down amazingly well! I might go in once or twice, will play it by ear I think!
Old 25 Jun 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I finally decided on Andiamo as the steakhouse of choice for my birthday. Ele is a bit wary of going to Freemont Street after a friend of ours was telling us about it, but the restaurant itself is very highly recommended by loads of people here, and rates at about 8 out of 4000 in Vegas on Trip Advisor. So I think that'll do!

As mentioned above we also want to go to Bahama Breeze, and we'll almost certainly go to Hard Rock Cafe one night too as that's kind of traditional and I collect t-shirts from the ones we go to! There's also an Asian restaurant called Tao in the Venetian that a few people have raved about to us so we'll go there too. And that's all our meals! It'll be late the first night and we won't want to go out so basically we only get 4 dinners. Frankly that does not seem like anywhere near enough!

In other boring news I cancelled the pay-on-arrival car hire I had kept just in-case, as the dollar rate is somehow even worse now and it was only about £5 cheaper than the one I can check in online for and skip the counter.

Oh, and I told my travel insurance about my knee and that's all covered as it was after booking so that's all good. Bupa authorised my operation today, too. It doesn't feel too bad at the moment - the painkillers and anti-inflammatories are really helping a LOT and I'm using a crutch a lot to take the weight off of it. I've ordered another expensive compression sleeve to go with the one I've already got and I've got the knee brace, and I think I'll manage to get around albeit a bit slowly.

Less than 2 weeks to go now!
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Pleased you're feeling a bit better. And good news with the insurance and Bupa too. Sounds like a plan with the meals. We took the bus down to Freemont St and back again with the girls when they were younger and it was absolutely fine, no worse than anywhere here.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Today I've been printing out out loads of stuff, because that's what you do before you go on holiday. Confirmation emails, itineraries, etc etc. I also did our Alamo Online checkin and Skip the Counter.

Whilst printing, I noticed something on our Grand Canyon ticket. I had booked the 06:15 start as a) It was cheaper, and b) you get back with enough time to do something useful in the afternoon.

But I didn't pay enough attention. 06:15 is the flight departure time. The hotel pickup is at 04:25!

And you have to be there 10 minutes before that.

Quarter past 4 in the morning! I checked - that is actually a real time in the morning. They didn't make it up. That means getting up at 03:30 or something. I don't normally even get to sleep until about 1am at home. I just really hope the jet lag puts us out really really early the night before, and that the multiple, many, alarms I will have to set all actually go off, and don't do that annoying thing where because you accidentally left your phone on silent or turned the ringer down that it just flashes and doesn't actually make any noise.

04:15! There had better be somewhere to get coffee on the way - at the terminal or something - or I'm going to miss all the views from the plane due to being asleep!
Old 6 Jul 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Just popped on to see your countdown, but it’s not your Vegas countdown - am assuming you’re off very soon though.

That is an early start for your Grand Canyon trip! I went to Vegas last October for some friends’ significant birthdays and some of our group had an early start for a similar trip without any difficulty. Not sure it was quite as early as yours though, but I’m sure you’ll be fine. The views will wake you up and you can nap by the pool for a bit when you get back.

Have a fabulous time!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Got to love such an early start on holiday! It will be worth it!

Have fun!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 18, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Neil,

How was the trip ? Hope you had a fabulous time!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List