Old 1 Apr 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 9 - Ketchikan

O Can-aska - Day 9

Index

Saturday 7th September 2019 - Ketchikan

It’s been a little while since I posted the last day, and the world has changed a lot since then.

I took a break from trip reporting, as I wasn’t sure it was appropriate, particularly as this report revolves around a cruise.

However, a recent thread about trip reports suggested that lots of people were still interested in reading reports. I suppose we all need a bit of a distraction at the moment.

So, I’ve got back behind the laptop to try and get some more report written. And I’ll have free weekends for the foreseeable future, which should help!

Although I can’t help but be a little sad that my California trip has been cancelled, I know it’s very small in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully writing this report will help distract me a bit too.

Today we were docking in Ketchikan, although not until the late morning.

Whilst getting ready each morning, we enjoyed watching our Cruise Director Ashley and Assistant Cruise Director Stephen deliver their morning show on the stateroom tv. They were a really funny double act. Stephen kept doing mountain goat impressions (no idea why!) which were hilarious.

I had a realisation this morning as to why I was trying to put two left contact lenses in my eyes each morning – our stateroom host had mixed them when ‘tidying’ away. I also found a few other bits he had ‘tidied’, ie put inside a handbag which was hung on a hook on the wall. I’m sure he was trying to help, but it was all a bit odd really!

This morning, we’d booked a character breakfast with Mickey and Friends at 9am (his friends were Minnie, Pluto and Goofy).
The breakfast was in Animator’s Palate and to be honest was a little chaotic. I was a bit worried about booking this as two adults, but shouldn’t have been as there were plenty of adults there. We were sat on a shared table with two other couples who were already seated – they had sat at opposite ends of the table so we sat in the middle. Both couples were really not keen on making any conversation! We managed to get a few pleasantries out of one couple, but got the hint they weren’t keen and stopped (I tried to stick to ‘safe’ questions about activities in ports etc)

The problem with sharing a table is that it was heard to get a photo with a character without a random stranger at your table in the shot. It also felt like there weren’t enough servers on for how busy the breakfast was.

However, we were given ridiculous hats to wear.

The restaurant was set up with Mickey cartoons on the screens.

To eat, I went for Mickey’s Delight – chocolate chip pancake, mickey waffle and fresh fruit.

This was under a ‘for kids of all ages’ section of the menu – when it arrived it was clear that this was only for kids!

I also had a pastry, although they had run out of all the chocolate options.

I’m not sure what Ollie had – it probably consisted of hash browns, bacon and sausages.

My hot chocolate arrived just as I was finishing my breakfast. They are always surprised when we decline tea or coffee.

We ate quickly, saw most of the characters and made a fairly quick exit.

We bumped into Chip and Dale after breakfast. I love it when you randomly see characters out and about.

A quick peek out from deck – not quite in Ketchikan yet.

We fancied the animation class at 10am in the Crown and Fin pub. We were drawing Pluto, who was one of my favourites. Although, drawing him in side profile was a challenge. The cast member’s drawing was also shown on the screens in the pub, which was helpful.

My attempt -

Ollie’s attempt -

Here’s what Pluto should’ve looked like -

We popped back to the stateroom afterwards where the gratuity envelopes were waiting for us, an unwelcome reminder that we didn’t have many days of our cruise left

We headed up to deck to watch us pull into Ketchikan. We were a bit late as we were already docked! Never mind, the town looked really pretty and the sun was shining again.

Our plan was to have lunch in Triton’s and then head straight out to Ketchikan.

They were offering brunch in Triton’s, so both breakfast and lunch dishes were on the menu. We were definitely in lunch mode, although our servers were recommending the breakfast options (it was about 12pm).

This was the only meal where we had a bit of a hard sell from the servers – both the main and assistant server we had for lunch were trying to sell us the speciality smoothies. We declined and went for a water and a coke zero each.

To start we shared the Bruschetta with caponata– served with pecorino cheese and the peppered sirloin salad – served on chopped romaine and lolla rossa with blue cheese crumbles, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, garlic croutons and a herb-buttermilk dressing.

I was loving the DCL lunch time salads – this was the third and all three were great! I love anything with blue cheese.

For mains, we split The classic – 1/2lb angus beef served on a toasted sourdough bun with American Cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and red onions served with and French fries.

I’d loved the burger we had two days ago and was keen for another – it didn’t disappoint.

We also shared the Bucatini Carbonara – with pancetta, ground black pepper and parmigiana-reggiano

A fresh refill of coke zero had just arrived while we perusing the dessert menu, when I managed to knock a full glass all over me. It had ice in too (which I normally ask to leave out) and was freezing!

Halfway through shouting a very loud profanity, I managed to stop myself, remembering there were kids at the next table. The mum at the table didn’t mind at all, in fact she went into super-mum mode and somehow managed to find loads of napkins to hand me to mop up the mess, as we were still trying to get the attention of the servers.

I was soaked and took off my top (I had two tshirt layers on, I wasn’t stripping off in the restaurant) and put on Ollie’s jumper to go back to the room to change. So much for going straight out to port after lunch!

This was quite typical of me really – I’m generally a very clumsy person. I must admit, I felt a bit silly and conscious that people were staring.

I did a quick change in the stateroom and Ollie decided to leave behind the jumper as it looked warm anyway.

We didn’t really have any plans for Ketchikan and were just going for a bit of a wander really.

More totem polls –

We explored Creek Street –

Interesting signage –

Where Ollie belongs –

We spent some time watching the salmon jump up the salmon ladder – some of them can jump really high!

I think we also went in almost every gift shop in Ketchikan!

url=https://www.thedibb.co.uk/p/2iL19A4][/url]

Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

We enjoyed a few hours in port, but preferred the other ports of Skagway and Juneau. This was probably because we didn’t have a specific excursion planned in this port.

Once back on board, as the sun was shining, we decided to have a dip in the pool. I really didn’t think we’d be doing this in Alaska, but was glad I’d packed swimwear ‘just in case’.

We alternated between the Jacuzzi and the pool. The pool was actually a really nice temperature. I was however a bit chilly when we got out and wrapped myself in several towels whilst laying in the sun to dry off.

Someone came round asking if we wanted to order any drinks, so we thought this was a perfect time to have a dole whip with rum! We forgotten there were two different types of rum, and inadvertently went for the more expensive one. Never mind, the drink was delicious ($10.64 including tax and tip).

It was then time for a quick shower and freshen up in the stateroom before tonight’s show, The Physical Comedy of Michael Holly.
There was a fair bit of juggling of a weird assortment of objects, which isn’t really my thing, but I did enjoy his jokes.

After the show, we went back to the stateroom as Ollie felt a bit rough. Our stateroom had already been made up this evening with this creation –

He had a lie down while I watched some tv. The Wonder doesn’t have on demand tv, and I somehow ended up watching High School Musical 2, which I don’t think I’ve seen since it was first released.

Ollie wasn’t sure if he would make it to dinner and he asked if I would go without him – I would have done, a testament to how well we were getting on with our tablemates and servers. It was also the Animation Magic night in Animator’s Palate, which I always enjoy.

Fortunately, after a nap Ollie was feeling a lot better. We also stepped out onto deck for a bit of fresh air before dinner, which helped.

Once we got into the restaurant we drew our characters – I don’t know why I never come with a plan and always struggle to know what to draw. My lack of artistic ability doesn’t help me here…

Ollie drew our assistant server Thiago, who got a bit embarrassed by it, which was quite sweet.

I was so glad that DCL have ditched the set appetiser sampler that they used to serve on this evening. It was served cold in various shades of beige and never looked that appetising. After a few cruises under our belts, it was nice to have some different offerings.

To start, we both went for the Porcini Sacchetti – Pasta filled with porcini mushrooms, swiss and fontina cheese with garlic, thyme and a prosecco wine sauce

This was very similar to the black truffle pasta pursiettes that they serve on the first Animator’s Palate night, which was good because it’s one of my favourite DCL dishes. I’m never sure with prosecco flavoured things that you can actually taste the prosecco as it’s quite subtle (except for in a glass of prosecco, obviously).

Instead of a soup or salad, we both chose the Malaysian chicken satay – grilled chicken skewers marinated in turmeric, chilli and coriander served with peanut sauce and cucumber

I didn’t touch the cucumber dip, but the satay sauce was lovely.

For mains, I went for the Roasted fillet of beef wellington – covered in mushroom stuffing wrapped in puff pastry served with fingerling potatoes, baby vegetables and a cabernet black truffle jus

I will always order a beef wellington if it’s on the menu. The edge of pastry was a little undercooked, but I really like slightly undercooked pastry (Bake Off would disapprove!)

Ollie went for the Herb crusted rack of lamb – with ratatouille, roasted thyme potatoes and a rosemary red wine reduction

The potatoes in both our dishes were described differently, but I’m certain they were identical!

It was time of our characters to dance –

For dessert, we both went for the Orchard Peach Tart – Warm almond peach tart with rich vanilla sauce and dulce de leche ice cream

I really enjoyed the sauce with this one. Why does every food photo from Animator’s Palate come out pink or blue?

Tonight’s adult entertainment was the Match Your Mate show – it’s a Mr & Mrs style gameshow, which is always hilarious. We never miss this show on a cruise. One of the couples had been married about 40 years, which always makes for great entertainment.

This evening, I had a bit of a craving for a Mickey Premium Bar. We put in a call to room service once back in the stateroom and they were with us within 15 minutes. I can’t believe it was night 6 of the cruise and this was my first room service order! They were well iced to keep them cool.

Who doesn’t love a Mickey Premium bar? I made a mental note to order one tomorrow night too!

Day 10 - Day at Sea

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Definitely not inappropriate to do trip reports - we all need cheering up right now! Have been looking forward to this too

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Definitely not inappropriate to do trip reports - we all need cheering up right now! Have been looking forward to this too
Thanks - hopefully some more coming soon
Old 21 Apr 20, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Delighted you have carried on with your report - I had the same conundrum in writing ours from last year too and posted something very similar to you. With lots of positive responses sharing the need for a bit of escapism in these times we are living.

Appreciate your photos once again - I'm sure Dolly was a lovely person
To watch salmon leaping and in such numbers must have been amazing.

Love your art/ animation efforts too

Another great day and appreciate you continuing with your report

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Delighted you have carried on with your report - I had the same conundrum in writing ours from last year too and posted something very similar to you. With lots of positive responses sharing the need for a bit of escapism in these times we are living.

Appreciate your photos once again - I'm sure Dolly was a lovely person
To watch salmon leaping and in such numbers must have been amazing.

Love your art/ animation efforts too

Another great day and appreciate you continuing with your report
I'm glad you reached the same consensus. These are such weird times, but anything that provides a distraction from the 'real world' for a few minutes is hopefully a good thing. Thanks for reading