Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 30 Oct 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
I live in Burnham-on-Crouch - a little piece of heaven built from oyster fishing. There are lots of pubs and some with accommodation and good food and some lovely walks along the salt marsh trails. Nearby there is Maldon which is an ancient town built on the banks of the Blackwater and famous for salt. It’s home to some glorious sailing barges and they do trips out to the estuary. The oldest (supposedly) church in England is in the area - St Peter on the Wall at Bradwell.

We looked at houses around the Essex coastline before settling for Burnham. We didn’t take to Frinton at all - just our opinion mind. We could only see one pub and it was modern. We really liked Wivenhoe (there is a lovely old part) and Brightlingsea. The latter is a very interesting place. We really like it here. Essex and Suffolk have some beautiful places but not all are by the coast. Saffron Walden and Lavenham are two of my favourite places to visit but not near the sea.

If you are going south what about Brighton? DD was at uni here and we spent several weekends here. It’s vibrant, edgy, historical and has an abundance of decent restaurants. We’ve walked miles here and just kept exploring and finding new things. The laines are so quaint and there are some lovely shops there.
I grew up in Steeple , never hear anyone mention that area although I bet it looks very different now !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Seeing the mention of Frinton reminded me of when I worked on the railway.

We used to say 'Harwich for the continent, Frinton for the incontinent'.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Wow this is amazing guys thank you all so much!

I’ve added Burnham on Crouch to my list and removed Frinton and Felixstowe 😂

Brighton’s a great shout and I love it there but I work there quite often (well not over the last seven months 😢 ) so I probably wouldn’t include it - great suggestion otherwise.

Other suggestions I’m going to look at too.

Thanks again, Dibbers are such a great resource!

Edited at 06:50 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I was going to say Frinton (inside the gates of course) but now we are not allowed to stay in hotels or self catering, airbnbs etc maybe will see what the weather is like next year
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I was going to say Frinton (inside the gates of course) but now we are not allowed to stay in hotels or self catering, airbnbs etc maybe will see what the weather is like next year
Haha!

Yes I had thought a week away might be actually possible in the U.K. booked at short notice but obviously not !
Old 2 Nov 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Someone I worked with used to live in Burnham-on-Crouch (but work was Scottish based). This is the only time I have ever heard it mentioned out with the office!

I wonder if you knew him.
Possibly not - we’ve only lived here for 3 years. Previously we lived in Ilford - so quite a difference. Burnham was unknown to us before we did our trek around the Essex coastline looking for a house. It’s one of those places where you have to be going to - you can’t pass through it on your way to somewhere else. We love it here (I believe Ian Dury brought it to the fore in that ‘well known’ number Billericay Dickie! ).
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I grew up in Steeple , never hear anyone mention that area although I bet it looks very different now !
Compared with Steeple, Burnham is like Vegas!

Only lived here for 3 years but we really love it here. We only have four sailing/yacht clubs now but it’s where Dawn Wood trained before she rowed the Atlantic solo last year. It’s still sleepy though
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Wow this is amazing guys thank you all so much!

I’ve added Burnham on Crouch to my list and removed Frinton and Felixstowe 😂

Brighton’s a great shout and I love it there but I work there quite often (well not over the last seven months 😢 ) so I probably wouldn’t include it - great suggestion otherwise.

Other suggestions I’m going to look at too.

Thanks again, Dibbers are such a great resource!
If you do head this way, definitely visit Maldon. It’s been around since the 1100s. There are some lovely old buildings and the Hythe is where you will find the sailing barges.

Another place not too far away is Battlesbridge. This is a rainy day place to visit as there’s a big antique centre there and some nice old houses.
Old 2 Nov 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Compared with Steeple, Burnham is like Vegas!

Only lived here for 3 years but we really love it here. We only have four sailing/yacht clubs now but it’s where Dawn Wood trained before she rowed the Atlantic solo last year. It’s still sleepy though
I bet! I was only young but we were literally a cul d sac and a village hall 😂
I keep meaning to go back for a visit
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
FizzyWhip - if you watched Don’t Rock The Boat last night, did you spot where the celebrities did their training? Yep - Burnham-On-Crouch - you can clearly see the Quay and the Royal Corinthian in the background!