Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Is there a reason for no iPhone ? Most children will want an iPhone as that is the one most of their friends will have. My daughter has an iPhone 7, her contract is up soon and she will get an iPhone 11. Not the top of the range, I won’t pay anymore than £25 a month. Have a look on Uswitch for deals or maybe Game/CEX for a good quality second hand phone.
Thanks. The reason for no iPhone was that I was thinking they are too expensive. Also my partner always had iPhones, but I just converted him and he has a Google something now, and it was annoying how they always require something different (charger, ear phone connectors etc). I think my contract is around 25 per month. Maybe I just need to shop around more.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Whilst our DD does now use an iPhone, there has always been more of her year group with Android phones of various brands.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
She is in Y6. I was trying to avoid putting age in the OP as I thought everyone might judge me! She walks to school and back by herself (since beginning Y5) and goes to the shops/market by herself or with her friends. In September when she goes to secondary she'll be travelling by tube or bus.

Oh man do all the kids have iPhones?
We didn’t allow our daughter to have a phone until she was ready to go to high school either. Its crazy but a lot of them have phones in infant school these days ! You have done well to hold off until now. Maybe you could ask around the family for anyone ready to change their phone and she could have their old one to start her off with.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

My oldest went the Iphone route, whilst the youngest went Android and has a Samsung.
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

im my experience ( yr 8 and 13 DD's ) as soon as they hit secondary school the iphone is king, its popular, facetime is great for kids

you can get pretty decent refurbed iphone's for £ 150, the iphone 7 will be in that price range, My youngest had the iphone SE last year ( when she was in Yr 7 ) as she liked the size of it, my oldest had a iphone 7 last christmas , i will be honest, BOTH looked new, not a mark on them

i have just ordered a iphone SE for my mum, just over £100
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

My son is 14 and he has had an iPhone since he was 9 although normally a quite old hand me down one from myself but he got the iPhone 11 for his 14 birthday in January, which was the first time he's had a new one, all his friends have iPhone.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Our two both have Samsung's, eldest (y9) about to get her Dads old S9 and youngest (yr7) will in turn get her S7 (an upgrade from her J series).

Neither wanted an IPhone, their friends have all types - all handed down from parents.

Cex is a good option, they have a good choice of second hand phones. If you wanted to buy new a J or A series Samsung is a good starter phone.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I got an email from Aldi about a week back, and they were selling refurbished iPhone 8 for £200.
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mine have iPhones,but they were second hand older models when they were younger.
We also have iPhones so I like the way they work together. But I’d not worry about saying you are having something else for a first phone.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mine both have iPhones (DD12 an 8 plus and DD14 an 8). The main reason for this is that me and DH have iPhones so when my contract is up I renew mine and DD has the used one, DH does the same with his, it goes to DS. They then get a sim only deal each. This works best for us as we change our phones when the contracts are up anyway and it means the kids still get something up to date.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List