Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Apr 17, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Thanks so much guys... im going to do some investigating and price checking this evening. You guys are great !
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think I'm the only person who just didn't get Amsterdam. I found it dirty, crowded and lacking in its own identity. But I appreciate I may be alone in this view. There are similar but much nicer places to go such as Bruges or Copenhagen
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

We stayed in the Volks hotel. A bit out of the centre but right by a tram station. Quite quirky hotel with rooftop hot tubs and bar. We loved Amsterdam 😀

Edited at 02:50 PM.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Hi all, thanks for the info. Gill i read your trip report, very informative thanks.

Im sad to say every hotel you guys have mentioned is full
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah
Proud to wear my Ears

We went to Amsterdam last May. It is lovely there. Lots to see and do especially if you like to walk. I also have to eat gluten free and managed well.
Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Lots of restaurants have the same menu at lunch and dinner but the price nearly doubles in the evening. If you don't mind having your main meal at lunchtime it's very good value. An Indonesian restaurant we particularly enjoyed was this one:

kantjil.nl/en/
Old 23 Apr 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Voldemort
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We've also stayed in the Renaissance & that's nice too.
Voldemort is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
I think I'm the only person who just didn't get Amsterdam. I found it dirty, crowded and lacking in its own identity. But I appreciate I may be alone in this view. There are similar but much nicer places to go such as Bruges or Copenhagen
Each to his own I suppose. For the reasons you give, I don't like Paris and Venice. What a smelly place that latter is, especially in the summer and as for the prices ...

It's the people in the Netherlands that make it for me and I worked there many times. They nearly all speak English, they're friendly and well mannered.

Would agree on Bruges though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I've been twice and stayed in the city and walked everywhere. First hotel I really liked was Sint Nichollas. It was a 10 minute walk to everywhere - Anne Frank, Dam Square or the red light district. Second time we stayed in a hostel in middle of red light district. I wouldn't recommend it but it was cheap and clean.
We did a canal cruise and just walked everywhere.
Its probably the cheapest city break we've done.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by joxxxxx View Post
I can recommend Hotel MiscEatDrinkSleep. Brilliant hotel lovely owners. Book a garden room and ask for the Baroque room
We have also stayed in this lovely boutique hotel, we had a lovely double on the back of the hotel, and our teenage daughters shared a spacious twin overlooking the front. It is quite close to the red light district, but that isn't a problem - even with our girls, we just mainly walked around those streets. Would definitely recommend this hotel - the breakfasts are amazing!