Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Apr 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile New York and Universal park apps

We are going to Orlando at the end of June then flying back to NYC for a split stay. We are mainly going to Universal in Orlando staying close to I-Drive.
We have previously stayed onsite Disney. So both Universal/I-Drive and New York are new to us. I have been reading guide books and lots of advice from the Dibb but wondered if anyone could recommend a good free app guide for either/both areas?
We find the Disney app brilliant for helping find our way around the parks and for wait times, does Universal have a similar one?
Is there one for I-Drive?
Best NY Subway app?
General New York app with interactive maps (so we know where we are ☺ )?

Thanks
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Anyone? 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeyspals
VIP Dibber

Hi, we are going to New York too for the first time so would also be interested in this, and then going on to Orlando.
Universal is brilliant, if you go onto their website there is a downloadable app, we used it last year. Not sure when you are going but did you know that if you stay in one of the Universal hotels you get complimentary front of line passes for the day you check in until midnight on the day you check out. We found this to be a big help as was able to skip the queues.

2010-Tuscan Hills Villa, Radisson International Drive
2012- Tuscan Hills Villa
2015-Tuscan Hills Villa,Lowes Royal Pacific
2016- Disney's All Star Movies Resort,Town House
Regal Palms Resort,Hard Rock Hotel
2017- La Quinta Suites, Central Park, New York
2017- Tuscan Hills Villa

2019-Highland Reserve Villa
2022-Ridgewood Lakes Villa
Mickeyspals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickeyspals View Post
Hi, we are going to New York too for the first time so would also be interested in this, and then going on to Orlando.
Universal is brilliant, if you go onto their website there is a downloadable app, we used it last year. Not sure when you are going but did you know that if you stay in one of the Universal hotels you get complimentary front of line passes for the day you check in until midnight on the day you check out. We found this to be a big help as was able to skip the queues.
Thanks I hadn't found that on the Universal website, I will check that out, really useful.

I did know about the front of line passes but unfortunately, we couldn't stretch to the Universal hotel this trip (it was a cheeky extra add on to the New York trip ) so we are staying at the Holiday Inn opposite the park. We are there for 5 days (not necessarily all park days) so hopefully we will get to do all we can without the passes. This is why I thought an app would be useful, as with Disney you can see wait times for rides live and save some time.

Again, for New York, it would be good to find an app to just work out where we are and routes to where we are heading lol!

Hopefully, someone will be along soon to give us some ideas.
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

One suggestion is to get the Tripadvisor app and then to download the destination guide for New York. This includes a map that shows your GPS position and includes all the sights, hotels, restaurants etc. I haven't used the New York one but it did use it for Chicago and worked great.
(Should add that once downloaded it doesn't use any additional data)

Edited at 06:32 PM.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
One suggestion is to get the Tripadvisor app and then to download the destination guide for New York. This includes a map that shows your GPS position and includes all the sights, hotels, restaurants etc. I haven't used the New York one but it did use it for Chicago and worked great.
(Should add that once downloaded it doesn't use any additional data)
Thanks, this sounds great. Very useful that it doesn't use extra data after it's downloaded too.