Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Jan 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Yes you can, but we always return it full.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Probably used Dollar about 10 times in all my visits... always had an excellent car and excellent service... I won't stick to one supplier just normally who do the best deal at the time... last year it was Alamo and the same this year when we go... only company I have a slight problem with was Budget but if the price was right I would go with them again no problems.

ps. worth joining Dollar Express (it's free) ... miss the queues and straight to the garage... always a great service

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "

Edited at 04:42 PM.
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyGirl86
Excited about Disney

DisneyGirl86's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Can anyone that's used Dollar recently tell me whether or not you get to choose your own car from a line up at MCO please? We've been told by the broker you do, but others say Dollar allocate your car?
DisneyGirl86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Only Alamo allow you to pick your own car. Nobody else does.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

I've picked my car every year with Dollar at Sanford
They tell me a row then I go chose
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I've had just as mixed results with Dollar as with Hertz and Alamo, it seems to be pot luck as to what you get with all of them.

Alamo downgraded me to a small SUV in December as they had no Intermediates and refused to upgrade me, told me tough! They were just as rude as they have always been. Dollar gave me a car once with a slow puncture and replaced it with one with low oil on it, and Hertz gave me a smaller car than I booked and I had to argue with them to get the one I have paid for.

To me they are all a bunch of Sharks- I go with whoever Is cheapest and I can skip the counter with - this means Alamo or Hertz again next time.

Edited at 11:03 PM.
gavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

We chose from dollar at Miami but to be honest I prefer to be handed keys and told a bay number.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
spoony
Apprentice Imagineer

spoony's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Used Dollar from MCO last August, had Full Size and was just told to pick a car from the row. They all had keys in ready to go.
Car was clearly an old Hertz vehicle as it had paperwork (clearly they don't empty the glovebox as receipts in there were from 6 months earlier).
My main issue with them was the return, car was full of fuel but I'd paid cash to fill it (big mistake), I also didn't know I needed paperwork from the handover staff so when I got back and found a £110 charge on my credit card I was shocked. Naturally disputed it through FloridaDiscountcars and was told car had 1/4 tank left (total lie). They agreed to refund 50% eventually leaving the remainder disputed through my credit card. I think the fact only the difference was in the dispute confused them and they never answered the dispute meaning I didn't get the charge. Strangely if they'd been honest and claimed $9.99 as per their terms I would have just held my hands up and accepted it for not getting a petrol receipt. However, the lies mean I will never use them again unless they are significantly cheaper (about twice as much as they could possibly con from me)
September 2024 Last family trip to WDW

Edited at 09:40 PM.
spoony is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Probably used Dollar about 10 times in all my visits... always had an excellent car and excellent service... I won't stick to one supplier just normally who do the best deal at the time... last year it was Alamo and the same this year when we go... only company I have a slight problem with was Budget but if the price was right I would go with them again no problems.

ps. worth joining Dollar Express (it's free) ... miss the queues and straight to the garage... always a great service
Hi,

My first post.

We are travelling to Florida for our first time as a family of four (kids 13 and 16) this August 2017.

I've booked our hire car via auto Europe with dollar and got a full size car inc extra driver and tank of fuel for £361 (I booked it last sept thus the good rate). I've also registered with dollar express and have a number and printed out a membership card.

Will I be ok going direct to the Dollar express office in the carpark to sort out the auto express voucher or will I get turned back to go to the main desk?

Also having read a few neg reviews about old hertz cars would I be better off paying £80 more and booking a premium car with Alamo Brits which is currently £439 (although no free tank of fuel with this)

Cheers

James

Edited at 10:37 AM.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Hi, and welcome to the DIBB - I'd stay with Dollar if I were you - you've got a good price and it seems silly to switch for the sake of it and pay £80 more and a tank of fuel. The DIBB can be quite small-minded about cars and flights with Alamo cars and Virgin or BA flights being sought be the majority. You'll hear horror stories about all of the hire car companies - my worst experience was with Alamo ...

The Dollar car we hired at Easter had about 1300 miles on it, there was no hard sell or hidden charges, just a saving of just over £200 compared with the other companies.