Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I've Got The Taste for Cruising !

Now I've got the first one under my belt I'm planning another, probably next year. (Eric the cat will be 20 in Oct fingers crossed and our time together is too precious to put him in a cattery while I sail the seas).

My question for you avid cruisers is - How do you decide ? Do you stick with your favourite cruise company and then decide the location or decide the route you want to take and then search all the companies ?

Also which companies do you recommend (or not), and why ?

Thanks as always !

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Now I've got the first one under my belt I'm planning another, probably next year. (Eric the cat will be 20 in Oct fingers crossed and our time together is too precious to put him in a cattery while I sail the seas).

My question for you avid cruisers is - How do you decide ? Do you stick with your favourite cruise company and then decide the location or decide the route you want to take and then search all the companies ?

Also which companies do you recommend (or not), and why ?

Thanks as always !

Linda xx
we choose itinerary first and foremost then price.
We usually have an idea of where and when we want to go then look for ships in the area and decide on the best itinerary for us.

We have cruised with lots of different lines and would pretty much sail on any of them again (other than Fred Olsen! ) - DCL x5, P&O x3, Cunard x2, Celeb x2, RC x2, Princess x1, FO x1, Royal Clipper x1.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Ahh another cruise convert.

We tend to choose itinerary first however the last few have been the dates first then itinerary. Price has to come into it as well. DH doesn't like an inside cabin, where as I don't mind as I'm so rarely in it.
We have no overall preference re lines, they all have plus and minus points, Mum and I always say we would like to make our own ship by cherry picking all our favourite bits.
We have been Celebrity, P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Disney and to be honest would go on any of them again.
Old 14 Apr 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I'm glad you enjoyed your first cruise, it's very addictive.
We are due to go on our fourth cruise, with our fourth different cruise line
I think itenarary and cost come before which cruise line for us. The three cruise lines we have been with have all been fab, (NCL, RC and Princess) and I would gladly go with any of them again.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We go with itinerary and price. We have mainly cruised NCl with one Disney and one RCL. Next year we have booked with NCL on a Caribbean cruise from New York as I have always fancied sailing from there and they offered the nicest itinerary. We are also about to book with RCL for next July around the fjords from Southampton on the independence as we love both the itinerary and the look of the ship... now just waiting for a good deal on the price!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. I've started my research !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I used to choose for itinerary but now I tend to choose my favourite ships first. My favourite cruise line is Celebrity, they seem to have the nicest ships, food etc, and just the right amount of entertainment, we dont need slides, or announcements all day, just a peaceful place to sunbathe, and good food. Oceania is also meant to be fabulous but is a bit pricier! Try to find deals that include a drink package, tips or tours, so you are nearly all inclusive upfront. Please feel free to pm me, I blog about cruising, and work in cruise industry x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I used to choose for itinerary but now I tend to choose my favourite ships first. My favourite cruise line is Celebrity, they seem to have the nicest ships, food etc, and just the right amount of entertainment, we dont need slides, or announcements all day, just a peaceful place to sunbathe, and good food. Oceania is also meant to be fabulous but is a bit pricier! Try to find deals that include a drink package, tips or tours, so you are nearly all inclusive upfront. Please feel free to pm me, I blog about cruising, and work in cruise industry x
Thank you that's very kind and I will take you up on it as I found the pricing etc bewildering !

I won't be booking anything at the mo because Eric the cat is 19 and a half and I don't want to take him to a cattery anymore.

Linda xx
Old 20 Apr 17, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
After our last cruise we decided that we will not travel any more with Royal Caribbean. Their prices seem very reasonable compared to other cruise lines and now we know why! Last year we sailed out of Southampton to the Canaries. We know the menu is changed to more suit the UK taste. So every night there was two curry dishes - yuck! But we don't like curries but that is our fault not theirs. One night one of the offerings was cottage pie. Now I don't know about Dibbers meals but in our house cottage pie is a staple meal. So I do not expect it on a supposedly luxury cruise menu. Another night I was going to order the steak but the waiter advised me against it because it was tough. Every night we struggled to find something to eat and I had salmon three nights in a row.

The cost cutting by the company has really eaten into the quality of the food - pun intended.

So no more RC for us ever again.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Thanks Jan for useful feedback. I do expect good food.