Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Apr 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Honeymoon in New York?

Hi everyone!

We were originally planning to go to California for our honeymoon next year but due to changing circumstances we now have less time to play with. We want to do Cali properly with at least 2 weeks so we're thinking over other options. One place that comes to mind is NYC but I have a few questions.

Firstly, how long for? We get married on a Sunday and would like to travel on the Tuesday. I was thinking Tuesday - Sunday meaning 4 whole days plus travelling days. Opinions on whether this is viable?

Secondly, budget. Norwegian is showing flights for £600pp for 2017. Booking.com shows a hotel for 5 nights can be done for £1000. Any advice on how much you've spent pp on attractions and food? I appreciate it's very "how long is a piece of string" but any experience you can share would be so helpful.

Time of year is July if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

We went to NYC for the first part of our honeymoon last year and were there for 5 nights/4 full days. We felt this was enough, but you could easily spend longer exploring all the city has to offer!

In terms of spending on food, you could really spend as much or as little as you want. Dinner varied for us from $50 to $130, normally including at least one alcoholic drink each. Although one night we had a delicious pizza in our hotel room and it was only around $20! We aren't 3 course people though, especially with American portions!

Lunch also varied greatly, it just depends whether you grab something on the go or have a sit down lunch.

For attractions, I booked ESB, SoL and ToTR in advance so they were paid for. Lots of the other main things to do, such as walking the Brooklyn Bridge, the Highline, 9/11 memorial, Central Park etc don't cost anything (unless you go into the 9/11 museum). Most of the $ we took went on food and shopping, not attractions .
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
We went to NYC for the first part of our honeymoon last year and were there for 5 nights/4 full days. We felt this was enough, but you could easily spend longer exploring all the city has to offer!

In terms of spending on food, you could really spend as much or as little as you want. Dinner varied for us from $50 to $130, normally including at least one alcoholic drink each. Although one night we had a delicious pizza in our hotel room and it was only around $20! We aren't 3 course people though, especially with American portions!

Lunch also varied greatly, it just depends whether you grab something on the go or have a sit down lunch.

For attractions, I booked ESB, SoL and ToTR in advance so they were paid for. Lots of the other main things to do, such as walking the Brooklyn Bridge, the Highline, 9/11 memorial, Central Park etc don't cost anything (unless you go into the 9/11 museum). Most of the $ we took went on food and shopping, not attractions .
Thank you for your reply! It's really useful to hear your experiences, it's good to hear that 5 nights was enough. I hadn't considered that a lot of things are free to do. It's probably worth me doing a mock itinerary to cost that side of things up.

Thanks so much!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Hi

We did 5 nights in NYC and then a week in Florida. 5 nights in NYC was enough for me. It was December though, so the cold weather probably had a lot to do with that. It was freeeezing. But lovely seeing the Christmas lights, Rockefeller tree etc and we say two shows on Broadway which was amazing!

We didn't have a massive NYC budget. We found you can book most things from here, we booked open top bus tours of the city, a boat trip to see the NY skyline, tickets for Empire state and even the broadway tickets all over here, which made it easier to budget once there.

Have a fab time!

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

We normally do New York for 10 night at a time, and are just getting ready for our 5th trip. For me, much less than a week just isn't worth the jet lag - that's the US in general though, not just NYC. I've got a friend who claims to have "done" New York in 2 days. We're approaching 2 months total and feel we haven't scratched the surface.

One thing to be aware of for July. It's hot. Stiflingly, humidly so.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Thank you everyone! We have just booked 6 nights in New York City! Buzzing right now! We went for an AirBnB for £730. Now just have to wait for flights to come out! Thanks for all your help