Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 May 07, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Disney Cruise in the Med ... baby on board?

Hi
I'm a newbie here but have a few questions if you don't mind? I'm really sorry but I haven't had a chance to go thro all the current posts to check for this info as I have a 5 month old baby who LOVES to spend time with me

I had got my heart set on a return visit to WDW later in the year. We went in November 2002 and loved it and swore we'd return asap ... .well time passes fast and here we are! I had thought it would be great to take the little one with us but the bigger and chunkier he gets the more I think he will hate being cooped up on the flight and won't want to be pushed around in a buggy and sit quietly whilst we enjoy fabulous food etc come November!

So ... there is the Disney cruise, so close to home this year ... would it be worth the money to take a baby. I ventured on a non disney holiday last year and SO regret the money it cost for the quality of holiday we had - sad I know but I am hooked on disney! Will there be enough to do, away from more boistrous older children for us to enjoy as family, grown up things to do that allow the babe to be with us etc

And if you think its a good idea, whats the best way to go about booking the trip

Thanks

Kit

Edited at 10:34 AM. Reason: update
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 07, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

I would book either through DCL direct and/ or DreamsUnlimited (an American T/A) - besides the fact they are likely to be far cheaper, I don't actually know of any UK tour operators offering the Med Disney cruises !

These trips are however, more expensive than the average DCL trips offered when they sail in the Caribbean, and don't forget to budget for the expected tips ...details of whichyou can look up on the DCL website.

As far as there being plenty of quiet spots for you and your family to enjoy - I wouldn't worry too much, as DCL atmosphere is much, much more laid back and relaxing than the WDW parks !

A word of warning however, your little one would not qualify for the free kids clubs...if you wanted to leave him in the care of others for any 'me time' then you would need to book him into the Flounder's Nursery, for which there is an extra charge.

Sounds like a great idea to me though

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:52 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 07, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for your reply - we're so close to deciding we want to go then we get cold feet (mostly at the price!). DreamsUnlimited website says it too close to the dates to quote and the Disney website takes a lot of reading with a wriggly baby on my lap!

Are you able to help with advice about baby stuff - is the water safe to drink etc? I've not left him with anyone yet so I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use the nursery anyway lol. How do I find about show times etc so I can see if I think there is enough we can do with him in tow ... should I buy a book or is it all out there on the web somewhere?

Thanks again
kit
Old 4 May 07, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Kit, have a look at Vacationstogo.com as some of the disney cruises are discounted on there-We've had a great quote from them but like you get cold feet when it comes to booking! (Mainly cos ours is Carribbean one & not able to book cheap enough flights yet as its for Oct '08!)

Most here do book with 'Dreams' but may be worth looking around-Maybe during 'Nap' time!

Happy planning!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 07, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We used vacationstogo for our Carnival cruise and they were great. Good prices and great service. You dial their UK number but speak to someone in Texas! Will certainly use them again for a Disney cruise if the price is right!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 07, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
rylisal
Imagineer

Thats reassuring to know Pam, they've quoted us cheaper than direct with DCL & Dreams, as well as offering $50 on board credit-I'm SO tempted!
Miami 1991(honeymoon!),Quality Inn Int Dv 1992,Buenaventura lakes Villa 1993,Quality Inn Int Dv 1995,Quality Inn Int dv 1997,Days Inn Lakeside 2000,Masters Inn Maingate 2002,Ramada Plaza MGate 2004, Liki Tiki Feb 2007 & Disney Wonder Cruise,DLP Feb '08,Terre Verde,DCL & Indian Shores Oct '08,Canada Aug09,June/July '10 CP & RPR, Feb/Mar '14 Mystic Dunes, Unversals RPR & POR, June/July '16 Florida road trip Sept '18 DLP!
rylisal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 07, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kittb View Post
Are you able to help with advice about baby stuff - is the water safe to drink etc? I've not left him with anyone yet so I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use the nursery anyway lol. How do I find about show times etc so I can see if I think there is enough we can do with him in tow ... should I buy a book or is it all out there on the web somewhere?

Thanks again
kit
There is plenty you can do with your toddler in tow - Disney Cruises are very child orientated as you can imagine.

Each day a full programme of events (called navigators) are published listing all event/show times when you are on board. There's lots going on through out the day for all ages & interests.

As for the water...we're not big water consumers ourselves, but we did use tap water for brushing teeth.
You can buy mineral water aboard ...though some people bring their own supplies.
We did not give water supplies a great deal of thought..as far as being unsafe... I'm sure they are no different than your average hotel abroad really ... apparently, if tap water abroad makes you ill (if indeed it does) mostly this is not because it isn't clean as such, but because it just contains different 'bugs' to the ones we are used to at home.

I'm sure DCL would accommodate the needs of babies as far as sterilising bottles, providing cots, changing facilities etc. and other practicalities go.

You can get lots of information on cruising with DCL generally (including examples of these navigators), from the Dis Discussion board too (US equivalent of this Dibb board) and members here will also do their best to answer your queries.

Bear in mind, this is the first time DCL has cruised the Med. so specific experiences of Med cruising would have to come from members taking cruises on other lines.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 12:03 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 07, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
corrinda
Imagineer

Another one who has booked with vacations to go this year were 3000 cheaper then virgin and tcd for the nine of us,big difference.
corrinda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 07, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all the extra advice I hadn't had any email notifications there were new messages so didn't realise people had kindly got back to me again.
I have emailed Vacationstogo.com for a call back with a quote - fingers crossed its good enough cos I am SO excited and didn't win the lottery like I planned on Friday

I'll check the other boards out etc too - DH is home this weekend and will have to take care of the LO.
Kit
Old 13 May 07, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Its booked! We used a Travel Counsellor in the UK in the end, she got the same price as dreamsunlimited so we decided to go with her. She had been recommended by a friend so it didn't feel so weird handing out a credit card number over the phone!

We've booked a ocean view room - I am so looking forward to it. We're flying with BA so hopefully it won't be too stressful with the lo.

Kit
Closed Thread