Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Jul 15, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Pinning for the Fjords - Day 6 Bergen

So our final port day of the cruise and again we were only the early shift, with an 8:30 schedule for our Bryggen and Mount Floien adventure. So after showers and breakfast we went down to Fathoms for the last time to get our sticker and head off on an adventure.

This was almost your classic tour, it was strange to have an American being the tour guide as he was studying in Bergen but it was nice just to have the bus tour us around Bergen and out to the suburbs before getting back to the Funicular to take up to Mount Floien. From here we had some great views of Bergen and the areas we had seen from the bus.

We did not have long at the top, and 1 of the other guests on our coach brought this up with the guide but once you had a quick look around there was not much to see so we felt we had enough time. Once we headed back down on the funicular.

we realised that it would difficult to get back up as the queue was chaos. later we realised that almost all the bergen based port adventures from the Magic included a trip up Mount Floien and there was also at least 2 other cruise ships in port that day.

From their we walked to the historic hanseatic wharfs of Bryggen, to see these tight little buildings but as that was then free time to explore before the coach back to the dock and from the map of Bergen we had the wharf was nearer the centre than our dock, we said goodbye to the guide along with a significant number of other guests and had an explore.

Celia had heard about a Norwegian speciality of brown cheese, this is goats cheese that is heated so that it goes brown before setting giving it a distinctive taste, but we had also learnt that some has cows milk added to make the taste milder. so we were looking for goats only brown cheese armed with just google translate.

We were initial delayed as I needed the loo to find that ones in shopping centers are pay only, and we did not have any Norwegian Krone. But McDonalds to the rescue and we found a supermarket, but the only brown cheese they had had cows milks as well. So we started to head back towards the wharf as there were some restaurants there and today we decided to eat local, but this new route took us past another supermarket so we had a look and found a pure goats brown cheese, so we got that and a couple of beers to return the gift from Sam and Aaron a few days previously. We found an IPA from Aass which seemed appropriate. We also got a free gift of POPS which was a salted corn chocolate almost like a deformed malteser but with a Salty taste.

Glad that we had found the bits we wanted we continued back to Bryggen to find somewhere to eat that served Salt Cod, as Celia loves Bacalao which is the Portuguese name for it and we found a nice old restaurant, Bryggeloftet & Stuene where Celia had a small bowl of saltfish in a tomato stew and I had a Prawn open sandwich, but even that simple 2 dishes came in at an eye watering £35 (400+ Krone)

After lunch we agreed that we had seen enough and as Celia had a pedicure booked on the ship we headed back. To use the time during celia's pedicure I had booked on to the Martini tasting so said goodbye and headed to Keys for this. where for $20 I got 5 inital martini's (or martini style cocktails according to the bartender giving the tasting) these were a classic dry martini (gin & vermouth) a dirty martini (vodka and Olive juice - which I had to push away as it was awful for my palate) and Sour Apple martini, a pomegrate martini and one that had chocolate sauce and coffee liquor. All very nice (bar the dirty) and we all got some extras based on how much they had to mix just to make the ones we needed. It was quiet a jolly way to spend an hour or so.

After meeting back up we started the plan for what we needed to get done tomorrow, including what we still wanted to get from the stores and Shutters.

Soon we bumped into Aaron and Sam and went with them to tonight show, Walt Disney The Dream goes on a sort of potted history of Walt and the Disney Company. Frozen fever was building on teh ship as tonight was the Freezing the night away show, but first was people dancing arround a maypole in the attrium, which we just watched before heading to dinner.

Tonights dinner was in Animators palate again as was the draw a character and have them in the show, we all drew as best we could as the dinner descended into farce as Valantin seemed to have forgotten that the tables was getting Indian food to share, so took orders from the menu. No appetiser arrived for Celia as the rest of us just got the single option that night. When the Senior server Dan came to see if we were ok Celia pointed out the lack of a starter which caused him to raise his eyebrows and did offer to find it but she declined as we had all finished ours and you could tell that all servers were rushing as it was tight to get all the meals done before the big show that evening. Round 2 resulted in me getting 2 plates of Steak one from tonight's menu and 1 special from the order yesterday. Celia got an Indian meal (probably what the staff cook themselves) with some rice, a lentil dish and a chicken dish. The rest of the table had a mixture of food from the menu and a large bowl of rice, some chicken curry and a cheese curry, also with flour tortillas as they can't make naan bread. Finally celia got her dessert which looked like last nights desert but put under a blow torch.
But that was to be our last meal in the main dining rooms as we were going to Palo tomorrow, so were Aaron and Sam, and it sounded like the other 2 were probably not going to dine at the table either.

After dinner we headed up to the deck but the show had barely started when we had another appointment, a Desert wine and port tasting in Cove Cafe. This seemed to have been expected 20 people but only 15 of us showed up so some tables never had people sitting there, but our host the Palo Sommelier Ross from UK had 3 wines and 3 ports to try along with 4 desserts.

Now it has been a while as I type and the night got a bit hazy, but we had from left to right in the foreground
1. Apple Ice Wine
2. Ice wine
3. different italian ice wine
4. Tawny Port
5. 10 year old port
6. 15 year old port
we also had 4 desserts, some brownies, a panna cotta, a chocolate panna cotta, and some parmesan cheese.

Now celia does not drink much but did try them all but I did have to finish both of our glasses, but as I said there were also other tables that had full set of glasses that no-one was there to taste until we had "completed" the tasting and it became a free for all.

Quite sloshed we headed back to the room to find a towel dinosaur and to sleep, with no need for an alarm clock tonight.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 15, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Haydn, thank you for doing this great trip report.
This is not a cruise I would have thought to go on but it looks like you had a great time.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 15, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes thank you for taking the time to write this up. It has been really good to read. At times I feel you are disappointed with Disney especially with the food.
Old 6 Jul 15, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
Yes thank you for taking the time to write this up. It has been really good to read. At times I feel you are disappointed with Disney especially with the food.
I think because of the standards that Disney set on the Fantasy last year, we were disappointed with the service and the food at the main dinning rooms, especially around Celia's food intolerances. The food in Cabanas was fine, there is nothing Celia can eat in Pete's Boiler bites or Daisy's Delites except for the fruit, as even the salads are pre-packed with croutons or cheese in them.

As you can see from my signature we are going back so it is not all bad, and we had a great time, but thought it is worth highlighting to good and bad.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just a few drinks today then?!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 15, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Love the sound of that wine/port tasting. I had 'ebbelwoi' (apple ice wine) in Frankfurt where it's a delicacy. I've also had ordinary ice wine in Germany too.

Such a shame the food doesn't seem to be that well organised.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Peter's reminded me we also had Canadian ice wine at the wine museum!

Still fancy that port tasting. Not a big drinker but I do like some port.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List