Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 13 Feb 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Bye-bye Shareholder's Club (probably)

So The Walt Disney Company are finally buying up DLRP shares then. They already own 76.7% of Euro Disney, and are going to buy 9% of HRH Prince Alwaleed's stake (currently 10%), taking them up to 85.7% ownership.

Then they make a voluntary cash offer to all remaining corporate and individual shareholders, and if they then own over 95% of the company, they will mandatorily buy out the rest of the shareholders and de-list the company. It is highly probable that this will happen.

Good news for DLRP in that money will be spent on redevelopment and some debt will be written off, so the resort will finally start to break even and maybe even make some money.

Bad news for us tiny, individual shareholders, who will lose all our privileges, including, for me, the icing on the cake - Salon Mickey, the place where we can chill out, enjoy complimentary refreshments, and just get away from the crowds for a little while. Selfish, I know, but I loved being a shareholder and feeling like I was part of the magic.
Old 13 Feb 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I suspect all shareholder perks will go as well. I too love Salon Mickey. Even if not all shareholders sell, they will almost certainly drop the perks.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Same! I agree it has to be good for the Park in the longer term.
I won't be selling my shares unless I have to. Even if the perks go, I'd like to hang onto them. I think there are a few that feel this way, but I think the majority will sell if there are no perks to keeping them. Which in turn means we'll probably all have to sell 😢.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I know, it sucks big time. I'm not going to sell until I have to, they will have to prise my shares from my cold, dead fingers! I know I didn't buy these shares to make money, but it galls me to think not only am I now going to lose the perks, but I will lose money as well as the mandatory buy-out will be two Euros per share.

And I'd just signed up for a 5-year membership for the first time, as well! When it used to be that you renewed every 2 years. Grrrr!
Old 13 Feb 17, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
LufcDeb
Imagineer

I won't sell my shares unless I have to Not having the Shareholders Club will make going to DLP much more expensive, I've saved so much over the last 5 years, buying AP's, the drinks and snacks in salon Mickey and the discount in Restaurants

Debs
LufcDeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post

My best guess is that your shareholders card will remain valid until it expires. (which the cynical part of me would say is why the membership was extended to 5 years in the first place - having this long term goal in place already)

Until they expire, I would expect many of the perks will remain. Phasing them out naturally would cause a lot less hassle for the DLP management than simply removing them completely all at once. I think it would also soften the blow a little and help for TWDC to get what they want regarding the required number of shares.

TWDC taking over is definitely in the best interests of the resort as a whole and I would expect we will start seeing some improvements and future plans later this year. However, as mentioned above, it kinda sucks for us "small" shareholders.

It's a shame that we aren't being offered the same deal as the Prince. at least converting them into TWDC shares would see something of a return each year and we'd still be able to own a piece of the magic.

Oh well. Now we just need to find out the date of the AGM. With it being likely to be the final one, would anyone else be going over for it? I certainly intend to.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Oh no, I hadn't even thought of the AGM! We kept saying we would go over for just one, but now it seems like if we don't go for the next one, we won't get the chance! When are they normally held?
Old 13 Feb 17, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post

This will actually be the latest it has been in years.
In 2015 I was there in January. In 2016, it was in February.

This year, it looks like it will be the end of March. They have to have it before April, but also have to give a minimum amount of 30 days notice to its shareholders. So that really narrows down when it can be.

It's annoying though, because they will have had this booked in their diaries for months, if not since last year. So the fact that they leave it so late to tell us is quite annoying.

Although on a plus, it looks like the 25th Celebrations will have started so if you do for the AGM, then it's likely you'll be amongst the first to see and experience all of the new things including Star Tours 2 and the brand new parade!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by keiko315 View Post
My best guess is that your shareholders card will remain valid until it expires. (which the cynical part of me would say is why the membership was extended to 5 years in the first place - having this long term goal in place already)

Until they expire, I would expect many of the perks will remain. Phasing them out naturally would cause a lot less hassle for the DLP management than simply removing them completely all at once. I think it would also soften the blow a little and help for TWDC to get what they want regarding the required number of shares.

TWDC taking over is definitely in the best interests of the resort as a whole and I would expect we will start seeing some improvements and future plans later this year. However, as mentioned above, it kinda sucks for us "small" shareholders.

It's a shame that we aren't being offered the same deal as the Prince. at least converting them into TWDC shares would see something of a return each year and we'd still be able to own a piece of the magic.

Oh well. Now we just need to find out the date of the AGM. With it being likely to be the final one, would anyone else be going over for it? I certainly intend to.
I won't be happy if this is the case as mine runs out in August this year so I won't be able to renew it. There will be people out there with the same number of shares as me who get to have best part of 4.5 years (potentially) of membership when I'll be forced to leave. That really wouldn't be fair!

Personally, I just think they'll close the Club from x date. It's just too complicated to have some people still having a long term on their memberships with others don't etc. It won't cause them any issues as the SH Club was only ever a perk until it was rescinded and the terms have always been that they can do so at any point in time. We would have no legal cause for redress.

While I agree that 2 euros per share is measly, especially as some of us bought some at 8 euros! I do feel that the perks I've had do probably outweigh the initial purchases. Although I never really bought shares to make money - I bought them for personal reasons.

I just hope they turn the Park around and get it making money so more can ultimately be invested in it. I can't help thinking though that we haven't seen the half of price increases yet in order to do so!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

You're right - I was talking to hubby last night about it, and he pointed out that in the first 3 visits we made after I'd bought the shares, we saved more than the shares had cost me in the first place, so I guess I may lose initial capital but the savings over the years have balanced that out. Plus, as you said, we didn't buy them for investment either, just to own and be part of the magic.

Ah well - let's just cross our fingers for improvements to the parks.

(It's been really nice to have this discussion on here though, so thanks to everyone that joined in).