Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

I was going through a hideous divorce. I had had a horrible letter from the not soon enough ex to be solicitor and my friends boyfriend had been vile to her so we decided to go out. We were in the clothes and make up we had been in since 8am that morning and it was now 9.30 at night. We had enough money between us for one drink each so decided to go for a bottle of bud so we could carry it round all night and nobody would know it was empty. My husband was out with a group of his friends who started talking to us... we got home at 4am.. that was 20 years ago yesterday. I knew we could be great friends, but didnt really 'fancy' him at all. But we arranged to see each other the next week. About half an hour in, we were walking from one pub to another and my ankle turned as we went over some cobble stones and i stumbled...and he caught me. Instead of laughing or taking the p like my ex wouldve... he asked me if i was ok and i looked up at him and had what i have always refered to as a disney moment... he asked me to marry him 3 months later and I still havent enough hours in the day to spend with him xxxx

My parents story is my mum and her friend were stood waiting for a third friend to go to the cinema but she was late. My dad and his friend walked past and he said to my mum, sorry... have I kept you waiting long? They started chatting, the third friend never showed so they went to the cinema together. I cant say they were happily married... they could have corkers of rows...but they were together for over 50 years.
Old 20 May 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Met my DH the day Coventry City won the FA cup in 1987 ( not that I need to put the year , they’ve only one it once ) we married 5 years later to the day .
I was 19 he was 21.
We celebrated 28 years last week (33 in all)!
Three great children and three fab grandchildren
Kevin Houchen's fantastic goal. Ex-York City you know - my team.

We watched the fans come home from a bridge on the M45 and went into Coventry next day.

Mick
Old 20 May 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It was 2004. I’m a QPR fan, and was in the Queen Adelaide pub before a match, bumped into some lads who I know from my school days. We were playing Plymouth Argyle, and I got chatting to a fella who was an argyle fan but mates with some of the guys I knew. We realised that we grew up on opposite sides of the park to eachother and he went to the boys school next door to the girls school I went to. I then realised that he was the same Argyle fan that I had some banter with on the QPR internet fans forum and later that night he messaged me on the forum to say it was nice to meet me etc. We chatted for a few weeks, he was living in Plymouth as was in the Royal Navy, and about to go on a 2 week trip at sea around Scotland, and did I want to meet up when he got back. I was dubious, and was off on a girls trip to Dublin but I couldn’t stop thinking about this charming man in uniform I had met. 2 weeks later he got back to Plymouth from his trip on a Friday night, the Saturday morning he drove up to pick me up and we drove to Nottingham to watch Notts County V Plymouth, he dropped me back home and then went back to Plymouth. 16 years together, married in 2007 in Gibraltar so 13 years, 2 kids and a dog later, the rest they say is history!

Edited at 08:46 PM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Kevin Houchen's fantastic goal. Ex-York City you know - my team.

We watched the fans come home from a bridge on the M45 and went into Coventry next day.

Mick
I worked partime as a banqueting waitress at the old Leofric Hotel in the city centre and got to stand out on the balcony to watch the bus parade , then served the team at their celebration dinner.
Micky Gynn was on my table , years later he became our postman
WIGGYSMUM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I was 17, kevin was 18.

The Cotton Club nightclub in Paisley was my weekly haunt and My pals and I knew all the ‘regulars‘. Kevin appeared one week with his brother and tried to chat to me. He seemed a bit odd to me so I blanked him 😳. Every Saturday night for the next 4 weeks he would come up to talk to me, and every week he was more odd than ever - I couldn’t understand a word he was saying (well - shouting over the music). Each week he would walk off, my pal would ask what he’d said and I’d say I had no clue.

The 6th Saturday night I arrived a bit earlier than usual, and saw him at the bar before he had partaken of quite so much ‘Dutch courage’. I suddenly thought he looked amazing, although I couldn’t say why. An hour later he took another girl up to dance, I walked onto the dance floor, stood within his eyeline and crooked my finger in a ‘come here’ way. That was it.

IN the weeks to come I found out he was actually cripplingly shy, Had never been to that nightclub before and only returned each week after the first time hoping to see me, and had then drank quickly to get the courage to talk to me. He turned out to be the kindest most considerate man I had ever met. He insists the minute he laid eyes on me that was it for him. Thank god I eventually saw him properly!

We have now been together 29 years, married for 20 and have been blessed with 2 amazing children. At our wedding his brother was best man and in his speech told the whole story of being made to return every week to the Cotton Club. I still to this day believe I am the most happily married person I know. Of course we have had tough times. Of course we have had to fight to keep things on track sometimes. But he is mine, and I am his. Always will be.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
I worked partime as a banqueting waitress at the old Leofric Hotel in the city centre and got to stand out on the balcony to watch the bus parade , then served the team at their celebration dinner.
Micky Gynn was on my table , years later he became our postman
We were up nearer the ground and I remember it raining.

The company I worked for at the time were VPs and had a box at Highfield Road. John Sillett and George Curtis used to pop into the box regularly during the games

My employer long gone bust, Ricoh long gone, St Andrews now Not as bad as the downfall of York though. I was at Bootham Crescent when Man U played a league game there. Now it's Nationwide North

Mick
Old 20 May 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
We were up nearer the ground and I remember it raining.

The company I worked for at the time were VPs and had a box at Highfield Road. John Sillett and George Curtis used to pop into the box regularly during the games

My employer long gone bust, Ricoh long gone, St Andrews now Not as bad as the downfall of York though. I was at Bootham Crescent when Man U played a league game there. Now it's Nationwide North

Mick
Yes sad times , poor old Jimmy Hill statue standing outside a stadium with a giant bee on it !
WIGGYSMUM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I was just 13 and heard from a mutual friend that a 16 year old boy in our village fancied me. One day the boy started chatting to me and we started hanging out together. My father was strict and said I couldn’t see my boyfriend as he was too old for me, but we still saw each other causing many arguments with my dad.

When I was 15, my dad relented and ‘had a few words’ with my boyfriend about his intentions 😂 and gave us his blessing. My parents and boyfriend got on really well from that day on, and he thought of them as his parents too and they adored him.

We got engaged on my 18th birthday, got married in 1986 when I was 21, had a son in 1987 followed by son 2 in 1989 and quite a few years later, in 2000, by our daughter.

We still live in the same village we grew up in, and are adjusting to life without the children home as DD started uni last September. However, we seem to have her home again now for goodness knows how long due to the virus 😂
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
I was 17, kevin was 18.

The Cotton Club nightclub in Paisley was my weekly haunt and My pals and I knew all the ‘regulars‘. Kevin appeared one week with his brother and tried to chat to me. He seemed a bit odd to me so I blanked him 😳. Every Saturday night for the next 4 weeks he would come up to talk to me, and every week he was more odd than ever - I couldn’t understand a word he was saying (well - shouting over the music). Each week he would walk off, my pal would ask what he’d said and I’d say I had no clue.

The 6th Saturday night I arrived a bit earlier than usual, and saw him at the bar before he had partaken of quite so much ‘Dutch courage’. I suddenly thought he looked amazing, although I couldn’t say why. An hour later he took another girl up to dance, I walked onto the dance floor, stood within his eyeline and crooked my finger in a ‘come here’ way. That was it.

IN the weeks to come I found out he was actually cripplingly shy, Had never been to that nightclub before and only returned each week after the first time hoping to see me, and had then drank quickly to get the courage to talk to me. He turned out to be the kindest most considerate man I had ever met. He insists the minute he laid eyes on me that was it for him. Thank god I eventually saw him properly!

We have now been together 29 years, married for 20 and have been blessed with 2 amazing children. At our wedding his brother was best man and in his speech told the whole story of being made to return every week to the Cotton Club. I still to this day believe I am the most happily married person I know. Of course we have had tough times. Of course we have had to fight to keep things on track sometimes. But he is mine, and I am his. Always will be.
Lovely story , as we have always said if you didn’t love each other you wouldn’t fight !
I think being best mates also helps
Old 20 May 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I met my dh when we were 17 working in a shop. I was actually with someone else, but ended that relationship for my dh. We had our ds when we were 21/22 followed by our dd at 27. We then got married in Florida (how I found the dibb) when we were 31. We are now 34, been together 16 years, married for 3 years. Honestly, I couldn’t ask for a kinder and more supportive husband.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List