Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Oct 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BabyM
Very Serious Dibber

Buying house does this sound dodgy?

Hi,

So me and my partner are looking to buy our first house. We have a mortgage in principle with the bank and found a house we wanted to out an offer on.

I found out our initial offer was rejected when I thought it was the estate agent ringing so phoned them back to find out it was their mortgage advisor trying to call me but whilst I was on the call they told me the news, anyway we upped our offer on Monday and haven't heard from the estate agents but their mortgage person has been ringing me daily saying he thinks we can get it for the price we have offered if we get the mortgage moving with him. He now wants a meeting on Saturday with bank statements etc and has emailed saying it's the mortgage thing we need to overcome.

We still haven't heard from the actual estate agent to say if the offer has been accepted and why should we have to do things with their advisor when we have what we want from our bank?

Does this all sound a bit weird?

Thanks in advance
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Very much so why would the seller be bothered with who your mortgage is with. I’d walk away
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Yes this seems very strange indeed.
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

We had this with a certain high street agent and because we refused to use their mortgage brokers we never got a property to completion with them, this has happened 3 times with the same agents. There's always issues with the sellers changing their minds. Self employed so get a good deal through our banks with much less hoop jumping so don't need to pay their broker £1500.
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Do you mean the estate agents mortgage advisor or the sellers?

If the latter, how did they even get your contact details?

If the former, did you ask to be contacted by their advisor?

Their advisor should not be involved in the negotiation of the buying process at all, highly doubt they are qualified.

I would be asking the estate agent what the hell is going on and what do they think they are doing.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Their mortgage advisor may have a fantastic rate.
I might be tempted to find out if they can beat your bank ?
Apart from that, are they suggesting they can proceed with the sale at a lower price if you use them ?
I would be really curious to find out - sounds like something's up tbh.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BabyM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Do you mean the estate agents mortgage advisor or the sellers?

If the latter, how did they even get your contact details?

If the former, did you ask to be contacted by their advisor?

Their advisor should not be involved in the negotiation of the buying process at all, highly doubt they are qualified.

I would be asking the estate agent what the hell is going on and what do they think they are doing.
It's the estate agents advisor but I'm not aware that I asked to be contacted.

I am going to be ringing the estate agents myself tomorrow to find out what's happening. TBH it's not making us feel great about buying the property or using this particular estate agents and we might just walk away anyway.
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

It's sounds like the estate agents have passed on your details and unless you've agreed this they are breaching GDPR. You need to ask the mortgage company how they got your details.

You need to speak to the estate agent. Personally I'd go in their office and insist they call the seller there and then and make your offer.

Sounds like dirty tricks to get mortgage commission.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

I worked at an estate agent many many many moons ago and we used to ask buyers to come and see our advisor so we could reassure our sellers that they could afford the property and that the offer was genuine. There was no obligation but obviously there was a benefit to us if the buyer took their mortgage with us. Sounds like a similar sort of thing dealt with in a bit of an underhand way.

Edited at 09:58 PM.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

The first property we bought the seller was one step away from a full reposession, in order to proceed we had to speak to the mortgage advisor and prove we were in a financial position to proceed. She didn't have the finances to delay due to a potential buyer not being able to afford the house. Not sure if this could be something similar. I would certainly contact the estate agent and ask them why you are being contacted.
sam7 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List