Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 19 Nov 18, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Universal - Upgrading to AP

I have: 3-Park, 14 Day Explorer Ticket
and have decided to upgrade that to a: 2-Park Preferred Annual Pass

This is mainly to avoid parking costs, but also for discounts etc.
I have never had an AP before so just had a few questions:

1) Can I do this at any ticket booth and is my request as simple as it sounds ie will the ticket sellers be able to deal with this quickly and easily? lol

2) Do I need anything other than my original ticket and passport to do this?

3) When using the AP in parks/CityWalk for discounts, do you just ask at checkouts whether they accept AP Discount? And if so, do I just need to show the AP or do I need to show my passport for this too?

Thanks in advance to the lovely people who take their time to answer my mundane questions!
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by deanobrown View Post
1) Can I do this at any ticket booth and is my request as simple as it sounds ie will the ticket sellers be able to deal with this quickly and easily? lol
The simple answer is yes but the more complex one is they may not allow you to downgrade to a 2 park. When we were there in September we were told the new policy is that it has to be a 3 for a 3. This meant the price was $150 approx to upgrade for free parking which didn't work out for us (staying onsite so had to pay for that parking anyway and worked out we would probably only go 2 more times next year so wasn't worth it). Some people since then have managed to get the downgrade to 2 park but its not guaranteed and will depend on who you talk to.

2) Do I need anything other than my original ticket and passport to do this?
All we needed was original ticket and some form of payment

3) When using the AP in parks/CityWalk for discounts, do you just ask at checkouts whether they accept AP Discount? And if so, do I just need to show the AP or do I need to show my passport for this too?
Yes you ask and then if they do just show your pass. We were never asked for passport
Old 20 Nov 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
The simple answer is yes but the more complex one is they may not allow you to downgrade to a 2 park. When we were there in September we were told the new policy is that it has to be a 3 for a 3. This meant the price was $150 approx to upgrade for free parking which didn't work out for us (staying onsite so had to pay for that parking anyway and worked out we would probably only go 2 more times next year so wasn't worth it). Some people since then have managed to get the downgrade to 2 park but its not guaranteed and will depend on who you talk to.

All we needed was original ticket and some form of payment

Yes you ask and then if they do just show your pass. We were never asked for passport
That's great, thanks for all your answers!
I really hope they let us downgrade. If somebody says no do you think it's worth trying a different ticket booth? lol
deanobrown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Sent an email to clarify and they sent this reply:
" If you have a 3-Park Explorer Ticket, you would only be able to upgrade to a 3-Park Annual Pass. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at (407) 224-4233, option four (4)."

I guess it's still worth playing ignorant and trying my luck on the day but I'm a lot less optimistic now lol.

Thanks for the warning though, I wouldn't have realised otherwise!
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Don’t know if the offer will still be on but we got an additional 6 months free on ours last week when we renewed them some tiers only had 3 months we will get at least 5 trips out of these as they go to May 2020
Worth asking
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Don’t know if the offer will still be on but we got an additional 6 months free on ours last week when we renewed them some tiers only had 3 months we will get at least 5 trips out of these as they go to May 2020
Worth asking
Thanks. Definitely will!
Old 20 Nov 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Runforthehills
Trying for More Ears

We upgraded our passes a couple of weeks ago, me to a preferred pass, like you say, for the parking and the rest of the family to season passes.

If you do the upgrade before you have used the pass you can do it at the ticket points but if you go into one of the parks first you need to use customer services. On this point I found there were large queues at the CS outside of the parks but I went to the one inside of IOA and was served straight away.

We didn't get the offer of extended passes but you may be lucky, I wasn't bothered as we are going back next August, ie within 12 months, anyway.

If you are really not bothered with water parks then I understand your intention to downgrade to the 2 park but I have to say we all really enjoyed Volcano Bay and are glad we took the 3 park annual option.

one last point with the discount, they will not let you "stack" this. We had a Landry card with the $25 joining discount on it but it was either that OR the 10% preferred pass discount at Buba Gump, not both.

Hope you get it sorted the way you want
Old 20 Nov 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
deanobrown
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Runforthehills View Post
We upgraded our passes a couple of weeks ago, me to a preferred pass, like you say, for the parking and the rest of the family to season passes.

If you do the upgrade before you have used the pass you can do it at the ticket points but if you go into one of the parks first you need to use customer services. On this point I found there were large queues at the CS outside of the parks but I went to the one inside of IOA and was served straight away.

We didn't get the offer of extended passes but you may be lucky, I wasn't bothered as we are going back next August, ie within 12 months, anyway.

If you are really not bothered with water parks then I understand your intention to downgrade to the 2 park but I have to say we all really enjoyed Volcano Bay and are glad we took the 3 park annual option.

one last point with the discount, they will not let you "stack" this. We had a Landry card with the $25 joining discount on it but it was either that OR the 10% preferred pass discount at Buba Gump, not both.

Hope you get it sorted the way you want
Thanks for the info

I was willing to sacrifice Volcano Bay just to get free parking and discount for the whole party. But like you say, if they don't let me do it I think I'll just upgrade to a 3 Park AP instead!

Thanks again
Old 21 Nov 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

And its def worth trying your luck with one or two ticket booths/customer service to see if you can downgrade. I suspect this is a new thing they introduced in September and this is why its not well known by everyone. People are just getting lucky I think and managing to find those who don't know they aren't meant to be downgrading.
Old 26 Nov 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
And its def worth trying your luck with one or two ticket booths/customer service to see if you can downgrade. I suspect this is a new thing they introduced in September and this is why its not well known by everyone. People are just getting lucky I think and managing to find those who don't know they aren't meant to be downgrading.
Policy has been in place since at least May 2018 as we were told it, gradually they're all sticking to the same line.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List