Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile Who else is trying to move before the stamp duty freeze ends?

We put our house on the market three weeks ago and it sold to the first people to view it so was on the market all of two days.

We then started the search for our new property but no luck so far.

We’re hopeful of having a short chain as our buyers have nothing to sell and it seems that most of the properties that come up in the range we’re looking at are listed as no onward chain.

I’m told that things are taking longer than normal at the moment but don’t really know how long we have to look before we’re cutting it too fine for the stamp duty saving. Estate agents and solicitors are all telling us different things 🤷

Just wondering what others are expecting/experiencing now?
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

FIL sold his house 2nd week in September and are looking at a completion date of end of Nov, so around 10 weeks. If it happens that quick is another matter though, there is only 2 in their chain so more hopeful. You'll soon to running into Christmas which could potentially add to the time scale.

Edited at 10:19 PM.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes we’ve sold our and we were struggling to find anything. Thankfully we had an offer accepted on a property a week last Saturday. It’s so stressful

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We sold our house in august to the second people who viewed it (first put an offer in but then couldn’t get a mortgage)
We found a house about a week later after pulling out of a new build and if we are very ,very lucky we will be ready to exchange soon with a view to moving mid November 🤞🏼
It’s felt very slow to me but infact if it is mid November then that would be 11 weeks in total which is actually pretty good I think .
The stamp duty cut meant we could spend a lot more on a house as we would have to pay the higher rate otherwise as we own 2 properties (dh’s parents live in the other ) so it was great for us .
Good luck to those in the same boat .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I keep an eye on the market around me as I am always open to buying another property especially as interest rates on saving are at rock bottom.

It seems round here that even houses that have stuck on the market for a few months are now moving a month or so ago my small village had 5 houses for sale, today there are non.

Things are moving with IMO inflated prices and while many people are very happy with the reduced stamp duty I would be slightly worried that there will be a slump in sales and asking prices when SD returns.

Of course this doesnt matter if it's your home and you plan to live there for a while.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I keep an eye on the market around me as I am always open to buying another property especially as interest rates on saving are at rock bottom.

It seems round here that even houses that have stuck on the market for a few months are now moving a month or so ago my small village had 5 houses for sale, today there are non.

Things are moving with IMO inflated prices and while many people are very happy with the reduced stamp duty I would be slightly worried that there will be a slump in sales and asking prices when SD returns.

Of course this doesnt matter if it's your home and you plan to live there for a while.
Our plan was always to move next summer. The stamp duty break brought that forward as, although we will be buying a higher priced property, we felt that any potential crash would mean a lot less choice in the houses for sale post March.

As we plan to stay 10-15 years any slump would hopefully be long forgotten by then.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Our plan was always to move next summer. The stamp duty break brought that forward as, although we will be buying a higher priced property, we felt that any potential crash would mean a lot less choice in the houses for sale post March.

As we plan to stay 10-15 years any slump would hopefully be long forgotten by then.
Same as us , we always said next year but this was too good to miss.
Like you ,this will be a long term home although not a “forever home” as it’s abit too big for 2 of us but dd is 9 and will be at home for a while yet even if ds moves out in the next year or so .
Old 20 Oct 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mermaidtastic
Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Yes we put our house on the market beginning of July and sold it in 4 days. We thought it would be easy, but it's stalling at exchange. The buyers solicitors are useless and keep asking buyers for more information at the last minute. Our seller has been really patient but we are all living out of boxes and it's all out of our control.

On top of that the kids at my DD's school are dropping like flies with COVID-19, so there is that to contend with also.

Hands down this has been the most stressful situation. All I will say is choose your solicitors wisely. Finger crossed yours goes smoothly.

AND BREATHE...
Mermaidtastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mermaidtastic View Post
Yes we put our house on the market beginning of July and sold it in 4 days. We thought it would be easy, but it's stalling at exchange. The buyers solicitors are useless and keep asking buyers for more information at the last minute. Our seller has been really patient but we are all living out of boxes and it's all out of our control.

On top of that the kids at my DD's school are dropping like flies with COVID-19, so there is that to contend with also.

Hands down this has been the most stressful situation. All I will say is choose your solicitors wisely. Finger crossed yours goes smoothly.

AND BREATHE...
I think this is absolutely the key to getting a sale moving. In June last year we sold our home (we had already bought a new home that we were having renovated) our buyers wanted completion in 28 days.

We both choose our solicitors carefully, we had used ours several times and they choose someone who liked and trusted ours. They actually talked on the phone to each other developed a great working relationship and we completed in 26 days! It can be done.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mermaidtastic View Post

AND BREATHE...
Yikes .
Our solicitor was recommended to us by our financial adviser and so far so good.
As we were originally buying a new build we used their “moving made easy” company and then decided to keep them on , they do all the chasing on our behalf and really push things forward so that’s been helpful .