Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jan 22, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlandobelle View Post
How is ATL in general as a layover airport? I've got 4 hours there on my return 🙂
It's canny, a busy airport with plenty of places to eat, free wifi, one of the better transit airports for us, Charlotte is our favourite.
Old 26 Jan 22, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
It's canny, a busy airport with plenty of places to eat, free wifi, one of the better transit airports for us, Charlotte is our favourite.
I'll be checking out Charlotte in July as well 🤞
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Our nightmare at Atlanta (terrible immigration hall experience) was compounded by only my OH's boarding card working at the gate! Mine and our DDs cards wouldn't work, we had to wait until whole aircraft had boarded, despite being early boarding. Very stressful, gate woman threatened my OH with flight removal if he didn't get on the plane. He had no clue what was happening to us, awful..
It turned out Virgin/Delta thought we hadn't left Heathrow, how does that work? I never want to fly that route again, and DD was left traumatised by flying Indirect.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mrs Red C View Post
Our nightmare at Atlanta (terrible immigration hall experience) was compounded by only my OH's boarding card working at the gate! Mine and our DDs cards wouldn't work, we had to wait until whole aircraft had boarded, despite being early boarding. Very stressful, gate woman threatened my OH with flight removal if he didn't get on the plane. He had no clue what was happening to us, awful..
It turned out Virgin/Delta thought we hadn't left Heathrow, how does that work? I never want to fly that route again, and DD was left traumatised by flying Indirect.
Oh dear… 🙄 Thanks for sharing anyway!

International Palms Feb 2014 RPR/AKL/GF Dec 2016/Jan 2017 DLP NBC Oct 2017 GF Feb 2018 Villa Oct 2019 DL Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort Feb 2020 Crowne Plaza/AKL Apr 2022
CuteLioness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes immigration in Atlanta can be a nightmare but I haven’t done it for years. We always liked Philadelphia .
Old 28 Jan 22, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
julie42
Dibbing with Tink

julie42's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did this a few years ago. 16 of us including 2 small kids. Best flight we ever had...it was so easy in Atlanta, and MCO airport was empty when we got there (as was late in the evening).
Coming home we had a few hrs in Atlanta so had our tea there, and as the flight back home overnight set off late evening our body clocks were much better and we had no jet lag when we got home.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 28 Jan 22, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by julie42 View Post
We did this a few years ago. 16 of us including 2 small kids. Best flight we ever had...it was so easy in Atlanta, and MCO airport was empty when we got there (as was late in the evening).
Coming home we had a few hrs in Atlanta so had our tea there, and as the flight back home overnight set off late evening our body clocks were much better and we had no jet lag when we got home.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.
We like Atl too Julie, tend to feel you can have issues in any airport, we find transitting Atl straightforward. We're currently on Bokeelia but had to fly LHR to Miami as VS have their Man to Atl on hold, supposedly due to aircraft shortage. When we return in May we're Fort Myers to JFK to Man. Rumour has it VS will restart Man to Atl in the autumn, time will tell.

Edited at 07:36 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We flew MAN-ATL-MCO in 2018.

I prefer direct, of course, but Atlanta is an easy airport to transit through. Despite having a 3 hour connection, we had a delay in Manchester so arrived in Atlanta over 2 hours late. The immigration queue was huge. We ran through the airport and made it to the gate on time (about 5 mins before it was due to depart, but there was still a long boarding queue).

That said, the staff were there to help direct, and it was relatively simple, with the tram running through the airport to quickly take you to where you need to be.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Done Atlanta change quite a few times. Just follow directions and it’s all fine. Allow plenty of time so you don’t get stressed
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List