Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 24 Dec 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Anyone getting their heirloom china out for Christmas?

I've got part sets of wedding china from my Mum, MiL, Granny, Great Aunt etc.

Not all pictured here but they always come out this time of year.

A big mismatch but great memories. Some of those ladies were epic cooks.

sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Not heirloom China, that’s locked away in a cabinet as I’d be frightened to break it, but the best China gets it’s annual outing on Xmas day x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I love these, great meaning and memories too.

Personally I much prefer an eclectic table service and don't buy sets - I buy random plates, bowls cups etc from charity shops or auctions just because I love all the 'old' china rather than modern stuff. I don't have anything that matches.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are going to younger sons and they have late MILs china so that will get an outing tomorrow. It's funny I never liked it but I may have been more keen if I'd realised the gold trim was real.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

My mum always used her best set which was a wedding present over 50 years ago. Part of our morning tasks was to wash and clean her best silver cutlery, which was also a wedding present.

Thankfully, we haven’t used either for a few years now so we can all relax and not be worried about breaking anything!
Old 24 Dec 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

No (don’t have any) but I do have a couple of cheap plastic tree decorations from my childhood (I think they are older than me) which go on the tree each year.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We used the money we were given as wedding gifts towards a really nice silver cutlery canteen. That comes out at Christmas and other special occasions. We don't have any heirloom china so we were hoping that this could be passed on in the future.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I have Christmas plates, bowls, cruet set and gravy jug which come out every year for Christmas day and buffets.
I love old china though and I have lots of dessert plates, tiered cake trays, cream jugs, butter knives etc that I use whenever friends come for coffee (I bake a lot too) and they call it Sue's tea room
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
I love these, great meaning and memories too.

Personally I much prefer an eclectic table service and don't buy sets - I buy random plates, bowls cups etc from charity shops or auctions just because I love all the 'old' china rather than modern stuff. I don't have anything that matches.
That's called a 'Harlequin' set. Same as if you have 4 or 6 different chairs around your table - love it.

I have the only piece of mums wedding set, a large serving plate, that was not broken in the Blitz - its so precious to me - but I use it every Christmas. When she died I found the bone handled knives she was also given, still in their tissue paper, as mum thought they were 'too posh' to use. I use them at Christmas & on special occasions & they have never been in water so as to keep the handles white
Old 26 Dec 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nickynoonoo
slightly serious Dibber

Last year my husbands grandparents died and his family asked me if I would like the 200 piece dinner set his nan had collected!

I always dreamed of having such a set, but this wasn’t my dream….it’s brown and 70’s! But I couldn’t believe that his family thought I was worthy of taking it all (and the mantle of Christmas dinner) so I love it. 🥰

It’s Lancaster Hornsea Contrast. This photo isn’t my set, but I have around 10-12 of each setting, including soup bowls, mini lidded dishes, several coffee and tea pots. Then all the serving dishes etc

June 05 - Villa in Kisseme
March 06 - Enclave Suites (I Drive)
April 08 - Homewood Suites (I Drive)
April 10 - Quality Inn Plaza (I Drive)

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Nickynoonoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List