Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 2 Jan 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Tryanuary

With a highly damaging period due to Covid why not support local businesses instead of abstaining and depriving yourself.

Visit a pub you haven't before, find a farm shop you've not used before, order a pint of some local ale/cider/wine you've not ordered before.

I'm going to be doing this as much as I can this month (and beyond).
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

I really like this idea, what a good way to support local businesses
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Love this.
I've started today by organising a cake for my daughter's birthday
Old 2 Jan 22, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a great idea! I do usually try to chose local/independent but going to up my game
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

We have done this a lot since the start of the pandemic, we have gone back to a local milkman delivery, bought from Esty (handmade and UK based people), hunted out local/independent shops for produce/products/gifts etc and we shop most of what we can at our local farm shop that provided excellent service throughout the pandemic, so we continue to support them.

We have found some amazing local/independent enterprises and produce. Its actually very surprising what is produced locally when you have a good look around - my OH now only buys beer from local breweries that we never knew even existed.

Yes it is more expense and recognise that not everyone will able to do this and their budget will dictate where they can buy from, but I do feel that as we personally can afford to, we have a responsibility to support local.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

I don’t feel like I’ve deprived myself at all since going vegan, there are lots of great alternatives that mean I can eat many of the same meals I did before.

I’d rather not support animal cruelty just for 5 minutes of taste pleasure.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We have decided to visit independent restaurants/ cafes instead of going to the same old chains.
Looking forward to finding a few new favourites.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDante View Post
I don’t feel like I’ve deprived myself at all since going vegan, there are lots of great alternatives that mean I can eat many of the same meals I did before.

I’d rather not support animal cruelty just for 5 minutes of taste pleasure.
Give it a rest, this isn't a meat eating promotion thread. You've totally misjudged this.

It's a thread to oppose the annual pressure put on people to diet, go the gym, not eat this, not drink that. Those things that are good for us can be done 365, not just in January.

Local businesses have suffered, instead of further depriving them of our custom through January we should give them a mid Winter boost.

Now go an search out some local farm shops and drink some vegan beer (two of the breweries I use are specifically vegan - Purity and Twisted Barrel)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Great idea. We need to buy some new dining table chairs. The table is fine but the chairs are faux leather and really looking poor now. So we are going to use a local furniture shop in town.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Fair enough. Definitely agree with the whole diet and fitness thing.

But maybe for your tryanuary you could try veganuary instead, and stop supporting cruel and damaging industries.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List