Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 3 Jan 22, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
We are so lucky to live in a town where the High Street has a huge number of independent shops - in fact I think only Lloyds Chemist and the CoOp are chains. We have a weigh your own grocery store for dried goods (Grain & Sustain), a fishmonger, greengrocer, brilliant butcher, a coffee roasters, multiple coffee shops and even an ice cream parlour. We are so fortunate to live here!
fifetoday/lifestyl...future-1318550

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Love this and I always try and support local producers/makers where I can. Went to Dunelm looking for a log basket today. Not great quality so looked online and found a local basket maker 3 miles up the road who is dropping off a basket tomorrow. Yes its more expensive but hopefully good quality that will last. I often shop at a local care farm that supports adults with learning disabilities and mental health support. Takes a bit more effort to search for things but enjoy supporting local.
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Been drinking Three Wrens gin for a while. Thought about doing dry January (for about 6 seconds) and decided it was more important to support them so bought another bottle
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Been drinking Three Wrens gin for a while. Thought about doing dry January (for about 6 seconds) and decided it was more important to support them so bought another bottle
Some of my friends are doing a dry month. They picked February for obvious reasons!
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Some of my friends are doing a dry month. They picked February for obvious reasons!
I may attempt a dry week but I’m making no promises
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I try to do this as much as possible but definitely fail from time to time.
One thing I’m fairly strict about is meat.
I tend not to eat meat out unless I know where it’s come from. Independents do tend to say.
I try to get meat from the farm or the butcher.
We don’t eat huge amounts of it so I’m happy to spend the extra.
I must do better with fruit and veg though. It IS so much nicer from the farm shop but it’s not really as handy.
I don’t want to sign up to a local (or any!) veg box because I need to meal plan or I waste stuff.
Every year I think I’ll do my best to eat seasonally but that fails too so perhaps that could be my aim.

Not food related but we have just had new doors and some windows fixed which we used a local company for. You tend to get a much better service.

We will lose our high streets and end up with nothing but Costa and Starbucks if we don’t try harder.
I try not to eat in chains unless I particularly fancy it.

Edited at 04:26 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
I may attempt a dry week but I’m making no promises
We had an unintentional dry Christmas what with Covid so there is no way I’m doing Dry January!
Having said that, I still don’t fancy alcohol…

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Dry...

Nope, I nipped over to see my mum today and on the way back dropped into a pub I've not been in for ages. They've just started stocking the local brewery (something that annoys me about the trade is the monopoly the big breweries have over pubs and supply). The only place in the town that stock it - madness.

It was lush, real quality.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
doodles
Getting Excited

Would you like to share the name of your local beer?
doodles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
We had an unintentional dry Christmas what with Covid so there is no way I’m doing Dry January!
Having said that, I still don’t fancy alcohol…
I have never been so ill that I couldn’t drink (or eat for that matter) 😂