Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jan 22, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Chatnoir
Trying for More Ears

August with grandparents

Hi!
Just curious if other peoples opinions…. Looking to rebook our Covid cancelled break, and looking at August.

We are tied to school holidays, October is too expensive and DH birthday so he isn’t keen.

Can’t do April.

Only issue I can think is how will grand parents cope with the heat?
I haven’t been in august since I was a teenager. But on one of our May trips we had a blistering hot day on our last day and even I was struggling!

Anyone else been with parents in there 60s/70s in relative good health ?
Chatnoir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chatnoir View Post
Hi!
Just curious if other peoples opinions…. Looking to rebook our Covid cancelled break, and looking at August.

We are tied to school holidays, October is too expensive and DH birthday so he isn’t keen.

Can’t do April.

Only issue I can think is how will grand parents cope with the heat?
I haven’t been in august since I was a teenager. But on one of our May trips we had a blistering hot day on our last day and even I was struggling!

Anyone else been with parents in there 60s/70s in relative good health ?
We are those people same age as your relayives who organise and pay for the holiday with our kids, we will be there this summer. Sometimes this forum make me feel that once you are I your 60s you need to stay at home and do jigsaws we will be at Disney/Universal and paddleboarding at the beach.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I haven't taken her to Florida (she won't fly) but my mother complains FAR less about the heat than I do. I avoid the summer at all costs, where she'd love it.

Don't forget Florida is the unofficial retirement capital of the world.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We too re those people and we are bring out 2 grandkids July /August and doing the parks the boys will be 4/5 we expect it to be a full on holiday
I may have to use a scooter some days but that’s not an issue
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
We are those people same age as your relayives who organise and pay for the holiday with our kids, we will be there this summer. Sometimes this forum make me feel that once you are I your 60s you need to stay at home and do jigsaws we will be at Disney/Universal and paddleboarding at the beach.
Have to agree sometimes threads can make me feel ancient. In reality my husband and I are on the go non stop from dawn to dusk no matter where we are in the world.

To the OP - I know you didn’t mean to cause offence but quite a few of us on this forum around that age are experienced travellers and are more than capable of judging what we are able to cope with on holiday. Have you spoke to the grandparents?

Edited at 07:24 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Our last Orlando holiday was September 2019 we flew out on the 1st for 3 weeks to celebrate my 60th birthday (DH was 68) and although it wasn’t August it was very hot and we coped fine with the heat.
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Another in her 60's here. I don't really think about my age, I just enjoy it all

Mind you I do factor in slightly more pool days and less in-the -park-from-morning-until-closing days than we used to
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Chatnoir
Trying for More Ears

Not mean to cause any offence…. As I said I struggle in the heat! And I’m in my 30s!

It’s not your normal holiday it’s full on….. at least we are full on when we go, we know we will have to slow it down some.

Last thing I want is for them not to enjoy it cause it’s too hot.
Chatnoir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

60/70 still a youngster to some of us 🥳🥳🥳
I’m first on the coasters , heat or not doesn’t deter us.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chatnoir View Post
Not mean to cause any offence…. As I said I struggle in the heat! And I’m in my 30s!

It’s not your normal holiday it’s full on….. at least we are full on when we go, we know we will have to slow it down some.

Last thing I want is for them not to enjoy it cause it’s too hot.
Don’t worry, their enjoyment will come from sharing with you. Plenty of places to find shade and maybe eat and rest .We take our grandsons who are 10/ 8 now but have done so since toddlers
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List