Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jan 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Booking indirect flights

We have always flown direct with Virgin and booked direct with virgin. As I have posted before, we will have to fly indirect due to cost this year.
I have looked on a few websites, one us skyscanner which takes me to a different website called dreamworld travel. The flight is with airlingus but if I go directly to airlingus the flight is £500 more 😳
Is it always better to book direct with the company or is it just as safe to book with a third party?
If you are booking indirect who do you go through, how do you find and book your flights?
Thank you x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Not familiar with them so not commenting specifically (although their TrustPilot score isn't great) but the issue with booking through a third party is if you need to make any changes, it can often be a nightmare to sort as you're subject to their T&Cs which often differ from the airline policies. Where going direct to the airline is very straight forward.

Personally, I would consider booking through a codeshare (e.g. BA for Aer Lingus) if it was cheaper but not via an agent. I like fewer people to deal with if I need to.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Before covid I was happy booking anywhere using a credit card. Now I’ll only book on the airlines website or as Loldis said, on a codeshare.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Whats a codeshare?
I have never heard of this 🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Whats a codeshare?
I have never heard of this 🙈
A codeshare agreement is an arrangement between two or more airlines to “share” the same flight. Meaning, a ticket can be purchased from one airline for a flight that is actually operated by another, partner airline. It is quite common and it is normally shown in the flight information when booking.

For example book through BA but the flight is operated by an American or Aer Lingus aircraft. Or book through Virgin and the flight is on a Delta aircraft.

An example could be

Manchester to Orlando operated by an Aer Lingus aircraft with a flight number EI35 and the codeshare booked through BA would have the BA 6153 as the flight number.

Edited at 01:49 PM.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
A codeshare agreement is an arrangement between two or more airlines to “share” the same flight. Meaning, a ticket can be purchased from one airline for a flight that is actually operated by another, partner airline. It is quite common and it is normally shown in the flight information when booking.

For example book through BA but the flight is operated by an American or Aer Lingus aircraft. Or book through Virgin and the flight is on a Delta aircraft.

An example could be

Manchester to Orlando operated by an Aer Lingus aircraft with a flight number EI35 and the codeshare booked through BA would have the BA 6153 as the flight number.
Thank you x x
Old 27 Jan 22, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

Yep, I'm the same. Pre covid I would have booked on whichever site offered a certain flight the cheapest. Now I booked direct via United Airlines - it cost around 150 euros more in total but it's worth it for the peace of mind that it'll be much easier to change or cancel than going through a third party.

It is normally safe enough to do, but just weigh up for yourself if you're happy to take the risk of potential hassle for the savings.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

So going through the likes of netflights & skyscanner is a no no?
X x
Old 27 Jan 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As others have said pre covid I booked who ever was cheapest via sky scanner or whoever not now though
I was here in Florida when the flights started to get cancelled to return home Icelandic who I’d traveled with loads didn’t want to know when I contacted them as I’d booked via a third party and only the night before I was due to fly home with them the cancelled the flight
I’d already booked BA /AA code share home by that time took weeks to get a refund via the third party
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
So going through the likes of netflights & skyscanner is a no no?
X x
Just a bit of background Floridatilly Skyscanner is just a channel to take you to other companies websites so you don't actually book through them (Kayak is another)
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List