Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Nov 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up 5 do Florida for the 1st time - October 2018 - Day 4 - Blizzard Beach and Epcot

Index

Benjamin was awake at 05:00 this morning... or so Sally told me when I woke up. The kids were certainly adjusting to the time difference now. We had planned a quieter start to the day today but we were still down walking over the bridge onto The Boardwalk by 07:00.

We decided we would try a light breakfast from The Boardwalk Bakery, I think it had just opened and there were very few other people around. Chloe had a pastry and something else, Sally had some kind of breakfast bagel (how's that for detail?). As we were on holiday I got Emma an Oreo cupcake... which she didn't even touch. I didn't really fancy any of the offerings so have a strawberry cupcake.

That was the extent of my photos as I think the long day from yesterday must have been catching up with me. Chloe and Sally enjoyed their choices. The strawberry cupcake was nice but a bit of a sickly choice for breakfast.

We took a slow meander back to the hotel and hopped in the car to head to Blizzard beach for the morning. We wasn't sure how we would get on with the kids would think of the water park but we were really looking forward to it. I really enjoy water parks but have only ever done Typhoon Lagoon and Aquatica before... and Wet n Wild years ago but obviously that's long gone. The first job was to head to a supermarket. We needed some more beers for the room, swimming nappies for Benjamin and some more full fat milk for Benjamin too.

When we got to the car I decided to try the in built Sat Nav on the car. It was a lovely big screen and it was last time I used the one I'd hired from Florida Discount Car Hire. It was just easier not having to put it away after every use. The only annoying thing with the sat nav was that it seemed to tell you really late where to turn so I did find myself in the wrong lane a couple of times over the holiday.

We soon arrived at a nearby Super Target. Where was it? I have no idea. That's the curse of a Sat nav. I never take a blind bit of notice where I am actually going. I think I proved this the morning with a slight mishap when we were almost at Target. I turned off the main road onto a side road and quickly realised I was actually on completely the wrong side of the road. Not too much of a problem except the fact that there was a central reservation. There was a couple of gasps/mild screams from Sally and Chloe. There were very few cars there so I pressed on until I could get to the right side of the road rather than a more dangerous manoeuvre back onto the main road. I received a few pointers from Sally regarding this but she declined the offer of doing the driving It was the only slight misjudgement in the whole holiday so I decided I was allowed this one

This wasn't our most successful shopping trip. I have no doubt the kids will have bought a couple of toys from their holidays spends but I didn't note what. We decided whilst there that buying Benjamin some milk wasn't a very smart idea as it would be left in the car all morning whist we were at Blizzard Beach. We forgot to get the swimming nappies. We got to the checkouts (only self service open) and were then asked for ID for the beers. We didn't have any with us so they were left there too. I can see we spent £21.79 on the credit card but it wasn't on anything we actually went for.

The drive back to Blizzard Beach was very smooth. I managed to stay on the right side of the road the whole time and everything. All joking aside the car we had made driving a pleasure on this holiday. I would love to have a Lincoln Navigator at home... never going to happen though On my other trips driving in Florida it was pre Emma and Benjamin so we have had a convertible. It's amazing how much less vulnerable you feel when, apart from lorries, almost all of the other vehicles are smaller and lower than you. It made life so much easier to... ahem bully your way into lanes etc when you're not sure where you are going.

We arrived at Blizzard Beach bang on 10:00. We were parked in the first row with a pretty empty looking car park.

We headed into the changing room on arrival are collecting some free towels. I took Benjamin in with me to get changed whilst the girls all went together. We did have a couple of swimming nappies so I would need to go on the hunt for some at Blizzard Beach if we needed more... we didn't. I don't think we used any lockers and just took our bags with us on the push chair.

We wasn't overly sure where we were heading this morning but eventually decided on 4 sunbeds together under a sunshade by Tikes Peak. It was looking like being a scorcher again today so everyone was duly coated in sun cream.

We got settled down and Sally immediately decided she was going to Summit Plummet! I stayed with Chloe and the kids and took them for a little swim in the wave pool after getting a life jacket each for Benjamin and Emma. It's always a bit of a struggle getting photos many photos at water parks. I have to say I don't think I saw a photopass photographer.

We headed back and met Sally back at base. I then set about talking Chloe into doing Summit Plummet. She wasn't keen but tentatively agreed. We walked over and up the stairs and there was next to no queue. Maybe about 4 people in front of us. As we stood there waiting Chloe looked petrified and I could even see her eyes starting to well up a little. There was a boy of about 11 in front of us with his Dad. The boy went down and then the Dad turned round. The CM asked him of he was going down and he said something similar to, "GOD NO, I'M NOT THAT STUPID". It didn't really help matters with Chloe. Anyway, what with being the caring Step-Father I am I pretty much took her by both shoulder and sat her down on the top of the slide There were lots of deep breaths and worried looks but she went. I went down afterwards. I have to say it's times like this you realise you are getting older. I loved it but it does know you about a bit. Chloe loved it too and was glad she went on. She wasn't in a massive hurry to do it again though.

Sally, Emma and Benjamin were playing in the kids area at Tikes Peak when we returned. Emma was loving the little slides. I hope it's not just me that spends there whole time at a waterpark telling their three year old not to run. She would stop and would forget within about 2 mins and keep running everywhere. I'm amazed she didn't fall and hurt herself at some point. Emma was loving it just going round in circles repeating the little slides. I don't know if this area usually gets really busy but there were very few other people about. Benjamin was more than happy splashing around in the shallow water with the rest of us. Luckily there was a little bit of cloud cover this morning to make the sun a little less intense.

Eventually I checked the height requirements for Teamboat Springs. I dragged Emma off these little slides. It was one of them moments that even if I'd left her all day she still wouldn't have been happy when I dragged her away. Chloe, Emma and I took the chair lift. I wasn't sure what Emma would think of it but she enjoyed the ride. We got on Teamboat Springs with next to no queue. Emma was very quiet and looking a bit distraught all the way down. I thought there might be tears but there wasn't. She then declared that she wanted another go. I headed back and swapped with Sally by playing with Benjamin in Tikes peak while the girls went on together. After the second go she did state she never wanted to go on it again but I was impressed she went on twice.

At this point we decided it was time for lunch. Pretty much the first place we came across was Lottawatta Lodge. There was a smoking area right next to it so I felt compelled to pay it a visit whilst the girls went in and ordered food.

Sally and I had the burgers. Chloe had the chicken tenders whilst Emma and Benjamin shared a Chicken tenders meal. I really enjoyed the food here. My pictures are rubbish though.

Once we had finished lunch I stopped off in the smoking area again. I got chatting to a Scottish guy there was a little while. I then headed back and we played in the water with the kids for a little while longer. We then all headed off a did a lap of the lazy river. It was gorgeous. The kids were loving it and so relaxing for a little while, even with young kids, that you get to savour the fact that you are actually on holiday.

It was just before 2 when we were done and decided to call it a day. We all really enjoyed our morning at Blizzard Beach. No sooner had we got in the car both Emma and Benjamin fell asleep. I think the water had worn them out. Back to the Beach club and Sally headed down to the Marketplace to get Benjamin some milk and fill all of our resort mugs.

After a freshen up we left the room just after 16:00 to walk over to Epcot. It's a very short walk to the International Gateway from The Beach Club.

Emma had a little play in the sand on the way. There was no wait at all to get through bag check at the International Gateway. We took our first steps around the world showcase towards future world as we didn't have much time left to get to our Fastpass for Spaceship Earth. It was now really hot and humid. I had been suffering with a cold (actually life threatening manful) before coming on holiday and it was starting to make a bit of a re-appearance.

We made it to our fast pass for spaceship earth. Mainly due to my bravery in my current condition.

It was lovely to get in the air conditioning. I went on with emma whilst Benjamin went with Sally and Chloe. I wasn't overly thrilled with Spaceship Earth although Emma seemed to enjoy it and it kept her attention so it got the thumbs up. We was told that it is to close for a year in the not to distant future to be updated though. I think it needs it.

We walked over to Garden Grill.

I think we stopped and asked someone where it was. On arrival we were given a buzzer and took a seat outside. There were quite a few people waiting. We waited for about 10-15 minutes in and were then seated, We were seated on the inside of the restaurant rather than the outside which I would have preferred. I did ask if there was an outside table available but I was told it would be a further wait and Benjamin was certainly getting hungry. It was ok once the restaurant revolved a little so we weren't right next to the kitchen. We had been recommended Garden Grill by friends of ours as an alternative to what I originally had planned which was Coral Reef.

I have to say the character interaction here was really good. Mickey Mouse came round to our table twice as did Chip or Dale. We liked buffets and family style dining on this holiday as Benjamin still got his own plate on the dining plan despite being under 3. Chip (or/and Dale?) arrived to visit before our food arrived.

Now, I'm not sure what happed to my food pictures here. Another trip report fail. I'm surprised actually as Chloe and Sally have been part of one of my trip reports before and obviously didn't remind. Emma became really good at holding her plate up towards me before eating in the end though

We were brought bread and salad. I had a cocktail as my DDP drink and I think Sally had a beer. Just to go against gender stereotyping I became a bit of girl and Sally... well she's from Essex so no further comment needed.

I'm not sure when the entrée came out as I took no photos of it. As I'm sure everyone knows it was Turkey, stuffing (I think pot roast? ), they also brought some chips out for the kids. The meal was OK. It's probably not what I would usually order in a restaurant but it was nice enough. The restaurant was more than worth the dining plan credit for the character interaction though. Mickey and Pluto also visited us. Mickey was great. Benjamin was actually ignoring him initially as he was watching Mickey Mouse Club house on an Iphone. Mickey just leant over and watched it with him for little while.

Our server was Cheryl from Boston. This is the only name of a server I remember from the whole holiday. There are two reasons for. On reason was that she dropped a whole tray of drinks on the floor a couple of tables away from us and got in a bit of a fluster about it. Hence the drink service was a bit slow The main reason for remembering her name is that Sally and Chloe referred to her almost daily for the rest of our trip. After she had dropped all the drinks she was telling us that she'd had one of those days .Apparently she had spent the morning at home trimming her thorny bush as it was out of control. I just took a glance at Sally and Chloe and they were off...… this is the level of humour I have to deal with!

I was desperate to get a picture of Cheryl in amongst her debris but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Dessert was brought out which was a biscuit thing for the kids and some strawberry stuff for the rest of us. (accuracy with a trip report is everything!)

We really enjoyed the characters here and the food was pretty good in fairness so we wouldn't rule out visiting again in the future.

We missed our FP for figment due to Garden Grill taking a little longer than we planned. We wasn't too worried in all honesty. We came out of Garden Grill just after 7. I took Emma and Benjamin for a walk in the stroller whilst Chloe and Sally went for the Soarin' fastpass. Benjamin was soon asleep. Emma was just being lovely, chatty and an absolute pleasure. Once The girls returned I went on Soarin' with Chloe with the child swap. I really enjoyed the ride. I thought it was really good. When we returned Emma was eating an ice cream sandwich.

Once done with Soarin' we walked over to The seas with Nemo. Chloe, Emma and I went on first followed by Sally, Emma and I. Benjamin was asleep. Its a cute little ride and Emma really enjoyed it. It was a walk on. Emma would have carried on going on it all night if we'd let her.

Just before 9 we started walking back to the Beach Club after another long day. Illuminations started as we were walking around the World Showcase towards the International Gateway. We didn't stop to watch as we were all tired after another relatively long day.
Once back to the room I did the nightly drinks run to top up the mugs. I then read Emma a story in bed.

It didn't feel like we slowed the pace much today so maybe we will have to tomorrow... nope as it's a day at Hollywood Studios planned for tomorrow!
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 06:22 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd have screamed too if you were going up the wrong side of a dual carriage way 😱 🤣 at least you actually realised so bonus points for that 😂

I'm a little jelous you got ID'd in target we never got ID'd once, I was very put out.

Blizzars beach looks awesome. Well done chloe for going on Summit Plummet, I went on when I was 15 and I loved it.

The kids seem to have had an awesome time, especially as you managed to tire them out.

Garden grill looks lovely too... Well the photos that you managed 😂 poor Cheryl but I'd have laughed too. Hope she eventually got that bush sorted and her evening improved 🤣

Fab day again xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I would have been so stressed about you driving on the wrong side of the road. I don’t drive and DH never drives when on holiday abroad as he is sure he would drive the wrong way too 😀

I do love your attention to detail on the ‘pastry things’ you had etc and not knowing where the Target store was 😂😂

I nearly choked laughing at reading about Cheryl’s bush problems, no wonder she dropped the drinks poor girl 😂😂

Great day at Blizzard Beach, it always rains when we go to a water park so we have given up trying now.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 18, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I did laugh at your trip to Target where you got nothing that you went for! It's the sort of thing we'd do. And glad you are all still in one piece after ending up on the wrong side of the road!

I'm impressed you managed water park photos, and that you did Summit Plummet, Alex did it and loved it, but it looked petrifying to me!

We will probably go to Garden Grill next year, I will look out for Cheryl and her bush
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
This just reinforces for me that I don't want to drive on holiday! We've never had a car in Florida as we're both as scared as each other! I can't believe you carried on going on the wrong side of the road. Still I guess it will worked out fine in the end.

I've never done summit plummet I'm far too much of a scaredy cat for that. I don't like any of the drop slides at water parks. I'm impressed you both did it! Well done.

It sounds like you had an enjoyable evening at garden grill, I really like it there, shame you didn't get a booth though as it does add to the experience.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I'd have screamed too if you were going up the wrong side of a dual carriage way 😱 🤣 at least you actually realised so bonus points for that 😂

I'm a little jelous you got ID'd in target we never got ID'd once, I was very put out.

Blizzars beach looks awesome. Well done chloe for going on Summit Plummet, I went on when I was 15 and I loved it.

The kids seem to have had an awesome time, especially as you managed to tire them out.

Garden grill looks lovely too... Well the photos that you managed 😂 poor Cheryl but I'd have laughed too. Hope she eventually got that bush sorted and her evening improved 🤣

Fab day again xx
Haha, I think it was the only time we got asked for ID which is typical as it was probably the only time we never had any with us!
Cheryl still gets mentioned in our house now
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I would have been so stressed about you driving on the wrong side of the road. I don’t drive and DH never drives when on holiday abroad as he is sure he would drive the wrong way too 😀

I do love your attention to detail on the ‘pastry things’ you had etc and not knowing where the Target store was 😂😂

I nearly choked laughing at reading about Cheryl’s bush problems, no wonder she dropped the drinks poor girl 😂😂

Great day at Blizzard Beach, it always rains when we go to a water park so we have given up trying now.
I like to get as much detail in there as possible

Cheryl was a bit odd and slow but was our most memorable server

We had a great morning at the water park and it was a shame we never managed to fit more in n this trip. It was definitely a hit with the kids
Old 27 Nov 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
I did laugh at your trip to Target where you got nothing that you went for! It's the sort of thing we'd do. And glad you are all still in one piece after ending up on the wrong side of the road!

I'm impressed you managed water park photos, and that you did Summit Plummet, Alex did it and loved it, but it looked petrifying to me!

We will probably go to Garden Grill next year, I will look out for Cheryl and her bush
I have always been a bit of an adrenalin junkie and spent al of my childhood around swimming pools so love any water slides.

Cheryl should become a Disney megastar purely for being so open about it.
Old 27 Nov 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
This just reinforces for me that I don't want to drive on holiday! We've never had a car in Florida as we're both as scared as each other! I can't believe you carried on going on the wrong side of the road. Still I guess it will worked out fine in the end.

I've never done summit plummet I'm far too much of a scaredy cat for that. I don't like any of the drop slides at water parks. I'm impressed you both did it! Well done.

It sounds like you had an enjoyable evening at garden grill, I really like it there, shame you didn't get a booth though as it does add to the experience.
Haha. It probably sounded worse than it was. It was only a side road before going into the car parks. It was only about 200 yards and there wasn't a single car coming the other way. Driving really is straightforward out there and a little mishap now and again just adds to the adventure

I was a bit disappointed not to get a booth and I would definitely recommend asking for one even if waiting a bit longer. We would have but feared it would mean Benjamin slumped across the table asleep.
Old 27 Nov 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Sounds like you had a great time at BB 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List