Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 11 Sep 13, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
I have only been to DLP once and thought it was a very expensive trip and I noticed smoking everywhere, particularly in queues and around eating places.

We were also there with a lot of Spanish and I think their behaviour around queuing, smoking and good manners appeared to be the worst that we encountered in DLP so I can understand your frustration.

I know Disney can't do anything about smoking because of French law but it still spoilt my trip so I will just go elsewhere .
While in florida I have seen some smokers advised that they are not allowed to smoke and pointed to the area on the map where they can... However in Paris I noticed people walking past cast members into lines for rides with a cigarette clearly in sight and nothing was said!

I know by law they are unable to stop them but surely if they where told off atleast in lines for kids rides it would be a start. I just hope people read this and avoid the place for health reasons - maybe someone from Disneyland Paris reads this forum and agrees... It amazes me the fact that the french/italian and spanish are so ignorant of non smokers but this is shown in all of their actions in the park (pushing in, barging past to get to characters etc etc...)
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time at DLP.

We have been once back in 2009. We thoroughly enjoyed it, but agree with your negative points re smoking and the pushing shoving etc.

Can imagine it to be a nightmare with kids especially at the meet and greets.

We would not be rushing to go back anytime soon though. However, very glad we experienced it
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Maybe alot of people who enjoy it don't have young kids - we had an 8,4 and 7 month old so maybe this made us more aware of the problems.

Florida only for us now !
Old 11 Sep 13, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We don't have kids but have visited with friends and their four kids (including toddler).

We went Feb half term when it was quiet (and too wet for much smoking!) and made use of EMH to avoid crowds.

I have never seen smoking in a queue. I have seen CMs ask people at parades to stop smoking. However, guests just light up again when they have gone. There is only so much apathy or aggression a CM can take from guests.

It is worth remembering that the smoking ban indoors is very new in France, Spain, Italy etc. In my experience of visiting those countries, the law is generally observed (ie no smoking indoors) but as a consequence there is a lot more smoking outdoors. As indeed there is in any crowded city. My friend's little ones are exposed to loads of smoke every day in London.

Also maybe I am just old (!) but I can remember 20 years ago in Britain it was completely acceptable to smoke around children. I have asthma and was made to feel a fussbudget for trying to avoid smoke. Our house has always been smoke free and when I grew up in the 70s my parents were seen as fussy for insisting on this.

There has generally been a change of attitude on smoking around children in the UK and US, but perhaps we are the odd ones out.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We don't have kids but have visited with friends and their four kids (including toddler).

We went Feb half term when it was quiet (and too wet for much smoking!) and made use of EMH to avoid crowds.

I have never seen smoking in a queue. I have seen CMs ask people at parades to stop smoking. However, guests just light up again when they have gone. There is only so much apathy or aggression a CM can take from guests.

It is worth remembering that the smoking ban indoors is very new in France, Spain, Italy etc. In my experience of visiting those countries, the law is generally observed (ie no smoking indoors) but as a consequence there is a lot more smoking outdoors. As indeed there is in any crowded city. My friend's little ones are exposed to loads of smoke every day in London.

Also maybe I am just old (!) but I can remember 20 years ago in Britain it was completely acceptable to smoke around children. I have asthma and was made to feel a fussbudget for trying to avoid smoke. Our house has always been smoke free and when I grew up in the 70s my parents were seen as fussy for insisting on this.

There has generally been a change of attitude on smoking around children in the UK and US, but perhaps we are the odd ones out.
I agree with everything you say Gill, our attitudes have changed a lot more in the 6 years since the smoking ban came in.
You notice people smoking more because they are out Side be it a cafe/ pub or a nightclub.I hear the smoking area outside the nightclubs are the best places to meet people.
I do think its wrong to smoke in front of children and wound always ask someone not to do it in front of mine.
I do think our French Spanish German friends have the views we had 25 years ago in regard to smoking.
The last time I was in a park in berlin,we saw a guy chain smoking while playing football with his child the cigarette was out out and another lit funny to watch as he's running all over playing football with his son and a ciggy hanging from his face like Gill said almost 1970's.
Germany has some of the best places for kids play some of the best parks Ive seen the love the out doors but everyone still smokes.
Sorry it spoiled your trip.

Edited at 12:03 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 02:48 AM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm not at all surprised to read your review on DLP. I feel that I have no option but to agree with all the negative points raised in this thread about DLP as it would be unfair to mislead other dibbers. I appreciate that it takes longer to save up to be able to afford a trip to Florida but it is worth the additional wait / costs in my opinion.
Old 24 Sep 13, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Well, we just got back from a weekend and had a fab time. The weekend brunch was amazing - loads of character interaction, top quality food, attentive service and just a totally magical experience.

Plus, a nice man gave us his free Fastpasses!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 13, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
It is worth remembering that the smoking ban indoors is very new in France, Spain, Italy etc.
The French ban on smoking in enclosed, public spaces came into effect in 2007 - the same time as the English ban on smoking. Both had an exemption regarding pubs and bars until 2008. So we both introduced it at roughly the same time.

Ironically, you're allowed to smoke in prison.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 13, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We are in Newport Bay now, just got back from swimming with my budgie smugglers on, yes I was the only one to wear them.
This place does need a good refurb, but it is not spoling our stay.
What is striking here is the CS places that are closed and the lack of characters, cast members are very thin on the ground as are a visible presence of Disney security inside the park.
Its a wonder this thread has not been hijacked by those on the dibb that disagree with you and try to tell you your experience did not happen!
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 13, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post

We went to DLP a few years back now and we encountered some of these problems, however not quite as strongly as you did . My dad actually had to say something to some Spanish children that pushed in front of us in the question for pirates of the Caribbean as he just couldn't take it anymore. But smoking didn't seem to be quite as prominent ...

It's all about Florida for us but DLP is good to fill the gap sometimes .. Sorry you didn't enjoy your holiday xxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List